Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tracking An Ordered '04 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tracking An Ordered '04 4Runner

I ordered a new V8 4Runner Sport in mid January. Dealer told me up front it may be 90 days until delivery. Does anybody know if/how I can track where my order is at any given time. I thought I could get a VIN at some point and track it. I would love to be able to keep up with its status without constantly calling the dealership. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Unfortunately I dont have the answer to your question, but have you tried calling Toyota's customer service to see if they have any ideas or can help you?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:04 AM

Good luck getting any real info. I tried to order one, but all the dealers that I talked to said that it was pointless because they have no control over it. As one sales manager said "Look, I am not going to sugar coat it, this isn't Burger King." He said that the way that it normally works on special ordersfor cars made out of the country is that if they see one coming to their region, they get it. Otherwise you could grow old waiting for a special order. The one that I ended up getting I basically claimed it once the dealer knew that it was really on the ship and they could get it. The dealership only could see 3 weeks out from port delivery. Even then, they knew when it would hit the port, but they still had no idea when it would show up on their lot. It set at the port for two weeks before it made it to the truck.

You would probably be better off having the dealer find what you are looking for and have them transfer it then waiting on a special order.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Pistonslap,

Toyota defintely does not work like BMW then. SO the factory just pushes out what dealers think and it is take it or leave it type mentality????

Barney,
Maybe try a search on the web to see if you can find a dealerwith the specs you are looking for?? What is it your looking for that is not availible?? COlor, with specs???
Old 03-03-2004, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the replies. I live in North Carolina and ordered from a Charlotte dealer. It's a black 2WD V8 Sport with lots of options (sunroof, rear spoiler, JBL 10 spkr system, double decker cargo, alarm system, 115 v AC power, daytime running lights etc.). It was ordered in mid January and they told me to expect around 90 days for delivery. They have definitely ordered 'Runner's for other people, so it was not uncommom for them. We could not find anything close to what I wanted in the entire Southeast region, and I was really in no hurry to buy. Just curious if I could track my order. I have a call in to the dealer, but wanted to know if anyone else had a similar experience.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:15 AM
lee
Contributing Member

why 2wd?? i never understand this...
Old 03-03-2004, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by lee
why 2wd?? i never understand this...
Me neither. Might as well get a Highlander
Old 03-03-2004, 12:00 PM

I knew I would get hammered if I put 2WD in my post because I know this is primarily a 4WD forum. Bottom line, I don't need 4WD - little snow/bad weather and no off road use. I like everything about the 4Runner, so other models were never even considered. A good friend locally also has a 2WD Sport, and I have always loved the look and the ride.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by barneyfife911
I knew I would get hammered if I put 2WD in my post because I know this is primarily a 4WD forum. Bottom line, I don't need 4WD - little snow/bad weather and no off road use. I like everything about the 4Runner, so other models were never even considered. A good friend locally also has a 2WD Sport, and I have always loved the look and the ride.
This is totally fine with me Even if you did have 4wd you wouldn't use it anyway.... I'm just glad that you're going ahead w/ the 4runner rather than a Pilot or anything else "non toyota".

As for waiting, if your dealer has dealt with this before then I would trust them and they're not pulling your leg. I would just keep in contact w/ the sales manager on the status of the truck. I am sure they get reports on a daily basis on what is in production so they should have some idea. I would think that they would have a vin # for ya once the truck is in production so just keep on bugging them. I know waiting sux but sometimes its well worth it in the end!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:13 PM

I have a friend who ordered an '03. It came as agreed from Toyota.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:45 PM
zesty

Originally Posted by PistonSlap
Good luck getting any real info. I tried to order one, but all the dealers that I talked to said that it was pointless because they have no control over it. As one sales manager said "Look, I am not going to sugar coat it, this isn't Burger King." He said that the way that it normally works on special ordersfor cars made out of the country is that if they see one coming to their region, they get it. Otherwise you could grow old waiting for a special order. The one that I ended up getting I basically claimed it once the dealer knew that it was really on the ship and they could get it. The dealership only could see 3 weeks out from port delivery. Even then, they knew when it would hit the port, but they still had no idea when it would show up on their lot. It set at the port for two weeks before it made it to the truck.

You would probably be better off having the dealer find what you are looking for and have them transfer it then waiting on a special order.
This sounds like a dealer that was trying to push something that they had. You very much can order exactly what you want. Heres how the process is supposed to work if the dealer doesn't have what you want. They look within the reigon to see if they can do a dealer trade. If that doesn't work out, they order the truck from Toyota. If that exact model is already slated for production and not spoken for by a customer, they tack your name on it. If that model is not available in what is already in process, you go to the back of the line. Don't let the dealers lie to you. They order all the trucks and cars on the lots and what options they want and such. Ever wonder why some dealers have 76 Tundras and 4 Camry's while another doesn't have any ever? It's because they order what they sell most of. Toyota doesn't just crank out cars and ship them randomly. They do not produce a car unless it is already sold to a dealer or a customer.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:56 PM

You can, through the internet, go to the dealer site and configure your truck, then it will show you what the dealer is getting in and when and what each truck has.
I wanted the Mica Blue (like Woodys) I couldn't find it, so I get the grey and I knew when it was going to show up.
Still haven't figured out how to turn off the damn DRLs.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As one sales manager said "Look, I am not going to sugar coat it, this isn't Burger King."
To which I would reply "and I'm not spending 99 cents." They can get you what you want if you want to order a special one, it will just take a little time, that's not the question. Question is IF they want to work, I assure you. As far as tracking one... no idea on that.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stuff is unknown until it hits the port but the dealers are preordering the stuff exactly the way they want it and how it sell for them in their most popular form, notice how 1 dealer has loaded XLE Camrys with aluminum rims while another has them with plastic caps.

Don't know how a special order takes so long my 4th Gen had a build date of Nov 03, and both Lexus and Toyota said their port to dealer time was about 10 days so how long could it take to build it at most a week and then a ship ride across the pond, wonder how long that takes, whats the hold up
Old 03-03-2004, 09:42 PM

I do not want to get your spirits down but out here in CA I see 2WD's like that in dealers often. I would say go to www.cars.com, search in your area and then email every dealer within 300 miles of you with your options and see who has what. That is how I found my dealer demo 04/4wd/V8/Ltd/Sunroof/Spoiler/Nav. I did not want new but an 04 demo unit and I found one within 2 weeks. Just a thought.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Josh
This sounds like a dealer that was trying to push something that they had. You very much can order exactly what you want. Heres how the process is supposed to work if the dealer doesn't have what you want. They look within the reigon to see if they can do a dealer trade. If that doesn't work out, they order the truck from Toyota. If that exact model is already slated for production and not spoken for by a customer, they tack your name on it. If that model is not available in what is already in process, you go to the back of the line. Don't let the dealers lie to you. They order all the trucks and cars on the lots and what options they want and such. Ever wonder why some dealers have 76 Tundras and 4 Camry's while another doesn't have any ever? It's because they order what they sell most of. Toyota doesn't just crank out cars and ship them randomly. They do not produce a car unless it is already sold to a dealer or a customer.
This wasn't just 1 dealer that told me not to waste my time.

As for ordering what they want to put on their lot, I don't think it works that way either. They are allotted a certain amount of cars that Toyota has decided to build. Remember, these are the Japanese. They are not going to trust some podunk dealership to decide what products and options they are going to sell. I am sure they can make requests, but there is no way they are going to let the dealers think for themselves.

As it was explained, the system is not set up for custom orders. The planning that goes into what parts are needed and when they are needed is extremely precise. They don't have time for custom orders.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

As it was explained, the system is not set up for custom orders. The planning that goes into what parts are needed and when they are needed is extremely precise. They don't have time for custom orders.
Actually, you're not correct on the custom orders part. I know specifically that you can custom order any vehicle the way you want it so long as it is configuration that can be done. I.E. you can't ask for manual tranny on a v6 4runner (something impossible) but you can ask for a v6 2wd ltd w/ xreas but no rear air susp, alarm but no moonroof. You know something odd but it is configurable.

If your dealer has told ya otherwise, I'd find another dealer. If not, maybe it's just the location you're at. I know dealers here in the CA region can custom build anything. I think the SE region can do the same but takes abit more work.

Anyway....
Old 03-04-2004, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by barneyfife911
Two or 4WD, they both have the same ride. In my region, you cannot find a 2WD runner. Most of the time I don't need 4wd either but I will always prefer 4WD because you never know when you might need it and I know I won't regret it down the road.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by RalleRunner
Two or 4WD, they both have the same ride. In my region, you cannot find a 2WD runner. Most of the time I don't need 4wd either but I will always prefer 4WD because you never know when you might need it and I know I won't regret it down the road.
My current SUV is 4WD and I have used it less than 10 times in 6 years. Would much rather spend the extra money I would spend for 4WD on options I might not otherwise be able to afford. It's not like the 4WD is the same price. I'd love to have it just to have it, but would much rather have my sunroof, rear spoiler etc.