Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tools for Deckplate Mod

Old 08-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tools for Deckplate Mod

I know about the deckplate mod and the benefits and such. I was gonna do the deckplate mod but I realized I don't have any dremel tool to make the hole.
My question is: Is there another equipment or way to make the hole without using the dremel ?
I don't feel like buying dremel just for this mod since I rarely use dremel.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

whatever makes a hole then. for me i stenciled 1/2" drill holes around the perimeter and sanded it down afterwards, didn't have the hole saw or dremel
Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 PM

The benefits really are not worth the effort. There is very , very little difference in power and a small difference in the sound. Believe me I have had mine for several years now and have tried it both ways in every driving range you can think off on and off road. It was more of a trend than a useful mod. At least in my opinion, Mike
Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 PM

Thanks

Oh yeah, drill is good. I can work with drill
Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM

too late

Originally Posted by Beartracker
The benefits really are not worth the effort. There is very , very little difference in power and a small difference in the sound. Believe me I have had mine for several years now and have tried it both ways in every driving range you can think off on and off road. It was more of a trend than a useful mod. At least in my opinion, Mike
The thing is I already bought the deckplate, so I might as well do it.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ddua
The thing is I already bought the deckplate, so I might as well do it.
Yup, cause sucking in more hot air is really going to do a lot. Take the deckplate back to where you bought it.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Buy a 4 inch hole saw. Pick up a trueflow filter along once you to the deckplate, beats the hell out of the paper filter or a K&N
Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM

A keyhole saw would work too, or a jig saw (carefully)
Old 08-06-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I used a jigsaw.

I bought into the internet hype too, but I wouldn't bother taking the time to do the deckplate thing again.

"Mod" implies making something better. "Deckplate mod" is a misnomer.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Buy a Dremel...it's definitely a tool worth owning, even if you use it once a year!

But...
x4 on the above "negative" deckplate comments.
I said it was a dumb mod over year ago but people argued with me. It was just a matter of time.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 PM

Its sort of cool to see this rebellion take place. It really doesn't make much sense to do the Deckplate to me, so I haven't. ISR, yes. I really think the best thing that anyone could do for any kind of Toyota's engines is tuning. Look at what Lotus did with the Celica motor. Just my opinion.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Who cares if somebody does it or not;it's such a cheap mod and it's not like throwing $80 toward a TBS and much better than buying a $300 intake kit.

I gained a steady tenth of a 2nd at the strip since I did the mod but I think it's more my driving was better this year at the Truckfest.

I've noticed no real gain in MPG and the deckplate isn't too helpful in the summer but it does perform better in sub 50 degree days since you are getting a bit more actual cold air into the motor.

Would I do it again? Only if I was really bored.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Who cares if somebody does it or not;it's such a cheap mod and it's not like throwing $80 toward a TBS and much better than buying a $300 intake kit.

I gained a steady tenth of a 2nd at the strip since I did the mod but I think it's more my driving was better this year at the Truckfest.

I've noticed no real gain in MPG and the deckplate isn't too helpful in the summer but it does perform better in sub 50 degree days since you are getting a bit more actual cold air into the motor.

Would I do it again? Only if I was really bored.
While I agree with you to some respect in the fact that, its his truck so if he wants to do the deckplate mod then let him.

But I also think there is nothing wrong with stating your opinion when maybe he has only read good things about the deckplate mod. I was thinking about doing it and this thread alone saved me the time. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

like you guys are saying, the benefits will be better realized in colder weather, albeit they are not that mentionable. either way, that's what's great about the deckplate, one simple turn clockwise and it never happened
Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by trd_4runnin11
While I agree with you to some respect in the fact that, its his truck so if he wants to do the deckplate mod then let him.

But I also think there is nothing wrong with stating your opinion when maybe he has only read good things about the deckplate mod. I was thinking about doing it and this thread alone saved me the time. Thanks!

My whole post was supporting doing the deckplate,the others were shooting it down and I was the only one that showed the positives even if they were small. I was saying to do it because it's so cheap and easy but it is a minimal gain.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:34 AM
JGM

Buy a dremel...it is THE biggest (and only, for me) benefit of doing the deckplate mod.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 AM

bored

Yea, it is easy and cheap. Does not harm your engine... and yeah I am really bored
Old 08-08-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ddua
Yea, it is easy and cheap. Does not harm your engine... and yeah I am really bored
Looks "COOL" too. Really looks good if you have that fancy chrome deck plate and you keep it polished! That's what really makes it run faster. The truck knows when it's done it 's reward is that fancy chrome cover under it's hood. Hope you realize I'm just kidding and that I did it years ago too. If nothing else it was fun to do and hear the sound of the engine after it was done.
The hardest lesson I learned about mods was not doing my vents. Dropped off in a deep hole while driving down a river bed and water came in my drivers window. Thought I was going to roll in the water. Got out of the hole and drove to my mechanics 20 miles away. I blew out most of my seals but was lucky enough to not have damaged any of the gears. My mechanic drained all my fluids and water from the running gears, engine, tranny, transfers, rear end and extended all my vents for me....... real high! That was a mod that I should have done to begin with because of the off road areas I drive in. Mike
Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds cool is just about all it does, didnt improve mpg for me at all.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

My deckplate gives me at least 50 more hp, almost as much as my TRD stickers...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tools for Deckplate Mod