Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Took The Locked 4Runner In The Mud Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took The Locked 4Runner In The Mud Today

All I have to say is, man am I impressed. I used to run through the local bog in 4low, 4th, then 3rd and pray I made it out by second gear. With the Powertrax it was so care free. I just plowed through it. Even made it through in 2WD a few times. $210 well spent. Look for a new muddy avatar tomorow...

Lamm
Old 02-29-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
All I have to say is, man am I impressed. I used to run through the local bog in 4low, 4th, then 3rd and pray I made it out by second gear. With the Powertrax it was so care free. I just plowed through it. Even made it through in 2WD a few times. $210 well spent. Look for a new muddy avatar tomorow...

Lamm
Nice I am getting mine next week hopefully. I had to exhange it since the one that came was a 4 cyl one.

Last edited by 934rnr; 02-29-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you do the install yourself? The powertrax is an automatic locker right (not a limited slip) right? I've been thinking about going that route for the back of my FJ-40. Did you do the install yourself?
Old 03-01-2004, 08:41 AM

I put an Eaton posi in my old Ranger and it was the best mod ever. Worked well with manual hubs - I could use the low range in 2wd with out locking the hubs - great for gear reduction. I drive a 4runner now I don't know how the locking diff works - is it a true locker? But I don't plan on making this into a trail rig like the old one.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Colemanfu,
If you're asking about how the powertrax works, I think its an automatic locker in that it completely locks up (basically a full spool) when one tire starts to spin, but unlocks when going around corners and such. The factory locker from Toyota is also a true locker, but is selectable (turn on and off by switch in the cab).
Old 03-01-2004, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

david, it's more of a ratchet type deal rather than simply unlocking around a turn. he should here a popping as it lets the outside tire spin faster in the turn keeping the torque on the slowest tire (the inside one). they definately drive a little different since when there's no locker, the outside tire gets the torque since it spins faster.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Yup, you're right Keisur, what I wrote was a little misleading. Although with the Powertrax, the clicking isn't supposed to be too obnoxious.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:38 PM
AJ3

Locked 2WD will go way further than an open 4WD. Now you'll want to go slower on the rocks. Give Marlin a call.......
Old 03-02-2004, 12:03 PM

Yeah, Powetrax makes the Lock Right and No Slip. I hve the lock right and put it in with only the help of my friend who takes autoshop. The Lockright is a full auto-locker, no slip is the same but costs twice as much and is slightly more road friendly. Lockrights are basicly an Aussie locker, but actually its the other way around. The clicking is not bad, the windows down, the radio and the flowmaster all but drown it out. I would not recomend it in an auto though because if it locks up and I don't wan't it to, a little clutch and its back to open for a bit. I recomend them for rigs with 33 or smaller tires and moderate HP such as my 4Runner.

Lamm
Old 03-02-2004, 12:05 PM

now tell us about cleaning the mud off.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:31 PM

Thats what creeks and rain are for, drive through the creek to clean the frame/undercarrige, leave it in the rain to clean the body off. I always make it a point to wait untill I drive to school at least once till i clean it all off. There are a slew of Cherokees with "jeep thing" decals and full sizes with mud tires, but I have never seen another single 4x4 dirty in 3 years. Hmmmm...?

Lamm
Old 03-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Lamm,

So, its locked all the time except for when turning corners when it unlocks, and thats when you hear it?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:43 PM

When decent torque is applied, the two halves slide togeather and the dog cluthes catch and you hear one clink, when power backs off or you clutch, it clicks between 3 and 12 times, then it is unlocked. If you are turning a long corner and use gentle power it won't lock. If it locks and you dont want it to, all you have to do is clutch or back aff for a second and it resets. I personally think the clicking is sorta cool, it sounds like a gun runing out of ammo or something. If you are just going straight, it will eventually lock, but the more power going into the diff and the greater difference in wheel rpm, the sooner it will lock. I don't think that it is unsuitable for a daily driver at all.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

210 bucks lamm? do you know by chance how much it would cost for labor install since you didnt do it by yourself? and you are positive that you are happy with it? : ) 210 bucks is hard to pass up with what it will do...

And can someone clear me up on this...Once I install a locker...My 4wheel drive. Is it worthless? Once I have a locker...it can only be a locked two wheel drive truck? ~kyle
Old 03-12-2004, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

Locker just makes 4WD Better

Open 2wd : 1 wheel stuck, 1 wheel spinning
Locked 2WD: 2 (rear) Wheels spinning
Open, 4WD: 2 (one front, one rear) wheels stuck, 2 (one front, one rear) spinning
1 Locked 4WD: 1 (font) wheel stuck, 3 spining
2 Locked 4WD: 4 wheels spinning, better have a winch when you get stuck
Old 03-12-2004, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by AJ3
Locked 2WD will go way further than an open 4WD. Now you'll want to go slower on the rocks. Give Marlin a call.......
No way, no how. I've had both. An open differential 4x4 far exceeds a locked 2x4. The only thing a locked 2x4 exceeds is an open 2x4.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:03 PM

Install would prob. be $100 plus new gear lube. I do love it, a lot. In a perfect world I would have ARB, but You cant even get a compresor for the cost of a Lockright.

Lamm
Old 03-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

yes lamm i understand. I would love to have an ARB but the cost just doesnt suit me. I can buy so much with just the money i would spend on that.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, now I'm interested in getting a Lockright.
Lamm, where did you get your information on them? I've been to their website, but I'm confused as far as which locker I would need according to my pinion axle size?
This stuff gets confusing
Old 03-13-2004, 11:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Lamm
When decent torque is applied, the two halves slide togeather and the dog cluthes catch and you hear one clink, when power backs off or you clutch, it clicks between 3 and 12 times, then it is unlocked. If you are turning a long corner and use gentle power it won't lock. If it locks and you dont want it to, all you have to do is clutch or back aff for a second and it resets. I personally think the clicking is sorta cool, it sounds like a gun runing out of ammo or something. If you are just going straight, it will eventually lock, but the more power going into the diff and the greater difference in wheel rpm, the sooner it will lock. I don't think that it is unsuitable for a daily driver at all.

I've also really considered getting one for my fj40, but dont' like the idea of chewing up my swampers. Do you get any kind of "chirp" doing parking lot maneuvers? Also would you say that it is fairly predictable on road use???

I have a buddy who threw a Detroit on his 300+ HP jeep, and HATES it. He said it throws him all over the road. He's trying to talk me into posi, but that is WAAAYY more $$$$.

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Took The Locked 4Runner In The Mud Today