Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tires - Road noise on REVO's

Old 12-08-2004, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires - Road noise on REVO's

Those of you out there running Dueler REVO's. How do they compare to a regular all-season highway tread as far as road noise? Are they wearing well? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:33 AM

I have put 30K miles on a set since 9/03. They are very quiet for A/T tires. They have held up great especially with my driving style. Hitting 50K is no problem with these tires.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:00 AM
lee
Contributing Member

road noise in a truck-based suv? no!

hahah. seriously though, our runners are not capsules of solitude and placidity... i doubt an increase in road noise would even be noticed.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:28 AM

A little noisier than the stock tires but well worth it, especially if you do any driving in snow or ice - they're incredible in holding a grip in even the worst conditions. Seem to be wearing well and I drive them hard. A bit more lateral roll than I'd like but it's to be expected from a tire that performs as well as it does in winter conditions. Note - if you have a membership, get them from Costco as they were $250 cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

I noticed a little more road noise than the BFG T/A KOs they replaced.

Also, in the snow, they are about average. I was expecting a little better performance in the snow due to all the rave reviews here. A recent snow fall here in CO allowed me to test them. And test them I did. As I was pulling into the parking lot in front of my work, I "blipped" the throttle to see if I would lose traction. I was in 2WD and the back-end passed the front TWICE! I had to put some effort into it to get the BFGs to lose traction in their first half of tread life.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
I was in 2WD and the back-end passed the front TWICE! I had to put some effort into it to get the BFGs to lose traction in their first half of tread life.

Maybe the snow here in Boulder is different than where you are, because while I have DEFINITELY spun the wheels in 2 on ice, I'm quite satisfied with my Revos...haven't spun out while doing the exact same "testing" (aka, freaking my girlfriend out by hitting the gas and brakes without telling her...). I'd say a v6 in 2wd is destined to spin the weels a bit if you nail the gas on ice, and I also notice you're supercharged, so I bet that has a bit to do with the spinout...

As far as road noise, I'd say it's negligable. I'm QUITE happy with my new Revos.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:42 PM

I'm going into my second winter with the REVOs, and am VERY happy with them. They are somewhat louder that the Bridgestone H/Ts that I run in the summer, but not enough to be an issue (to me). As for wear, and traction I couldn't be happier. They grip better than anything I have ever run before in wet weather, and have handled the NE snow without a problem. The way I use them for winter only, I expect I will have to replace them because of old age before they wear out. At this point, I wouldn't hesitate to get another set. ( but I might go with 285s next time.)
Old 12-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Search...

There have been atleast 2 or 3 threads in the last week and a half...
Old 12-08-2004, 03:00 PM

They arte as quiet as the michelins i had on before, they just work better.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by turboale
Search...

There have been atleast 2 or 3 threads in the last week and a half...
I did search. Was looking for info on noise, which none of the threads really covered.

Thank you all for the info. This forum is SO much more friendly than other Toyota sites (CT for one...)!
Old 12-09-2004, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
I noticed a little more road noise than the BFG T/A KOs they replaced.

Also, in the snow, they are about average. I was expecting a little better performance in the snow due to all the rave reviews here. A recent snow fall here in CO allowed me to test them. And test them I did. As I was pulling into the parking lot in front of my work, I "blipped" the throttle to see if I would lose traction. I was in 2WD and the back-end passed the front TWICE! I had to put some effort into it to get the BFGs to lose traction in their first half of tread life.
Dang, and I was thinking of Revo's for my next set. I have been running KO's forever and they have gotten me through alot. I was thinking of going Revo for less road noise, but maybe thats not the case. I'm confused again
Old 12-09-2004, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

I have to throw in my 2 cents. I have never heard or experienced the Bst Dueler At Revo being nearly as loud as the KO. Maybe these people who say they are loud are not properly rotating or checking air psi!
IMHO the BFG TA KO is one of the loudest AT tires I have ever ridden on. (And I work in a tire store!)
Old 12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Mine are quiet at most speeds, a little more humming at highway (70+) speeds, but nothing that I can't live with. They still grip better than the KO's that came on the truck when I bought it.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:04 PM

The Revo's are just a hair louder than the Dueler AT 693 (when both are new) They are much quieter and ride really nice compared to the worn out 693's I had. They have a more aggressive open tread than the 693. The Dueler 32" and 33" are squirmy in the corners unless you run them at 35psi. I find the BFG KO to be slightly quieter in straight line driving. In any case, for as aggressive as these tires are, they are very quiet. You want to hear road noise? Drive a Chyrsler 300M or a Honda with the stock tires.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by LarsDennert
The Revo's are just a hair louder than the Dueler AT 693 (when both are new) They are much quieter and ride really nice compared to the worn out 693's I had. They have a more aggressive open tread than the 693. The Dueler 32" and 33" are squirmy in the corners unless you run them at 35psi. I find the BFG KO to be slightly quieter in straight line driving. In any case, for as aggressive as these tires are, they are very quiet. You want to hear road noise? Drive a Chyrsler 300M or a Honda with the stock tires.
Nothing quite like the "quality" firestones on the honda for sure.