Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Which tires????

Old 03-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which tires????

OK, OK, before you give the search routine hear me out!! The more I search the less I know, or the less clearer it gets.

Quick history. New 4Runner came with Dunflop AT20. Went to balance them last week and had to take them back to shop today for rebalance. At least I do not have the shimmy on the steering wheel after last week's balance, but I could see the tires were pretty out of shape on the machine.

Ok now, I will be lifting my Runner in a couple of weeks and want to go up one size shortly after the lift (donations always welcome, but most of you reading is probably also poor ) to 265/70 17's

I live in North Cali Bay Area, do 95% on road driving with a 70 mile round trip commute to work. So my requirements are in order of IMPORTANCE TO ME:
- Quiet and comfortable ride
- On road handling (will keep XREAS off course)
- Wet road braking and handling
- Gas Mileage
- Off road ability, mostly sand/rock little snow mud
- Tire life

The tire contenders I looked at are:
- Michelin Cross Terrain SUV
- Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
- Bridgestone Dueler H/L (Seems to be more of road tire)
- BFG Radial Long Trail T/A

The Revo's look good, but are they quiet and comfy with good on road handling compared to the competition. I dont mind spending some extra $ to have a tire I will be happy with.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm in the same quandry as you.

Bridgestone Dueler Revo's or
BF Goodwrench T/A ko or
Michellen X Radial LT.

The last one is the best on road tire I've ever owned, but I want something that looks aggressive with the onroad-ability.

ps - Doesn't Firestone own Bridgestone? I'd be terrified of running dueler revo's if so...
Old 03-20-2004, 04:53 AM

While I haven't rode on every tire you've mentioned, I would seriously doubt you can find a better all-around tire than the Revo. I would rate it good to excellent on all your criteria.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:55 AM

Are the Revo's as aggresive looking as the BFG KOs?

Originally Posted by wv4runner
While I haven't rode on every tire you've mentioned, I would seriously doubt you can find a better all-around tire than the Revo. I would rate it good to excellent on all your criteria.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Away

No, the Revo's are not as aggressive looking, IMHO.

G
Old 03-20-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89-4run
Are the Revo's as aggresive looking as the BFG KOs?
No offense G,

IMO, the Revo's are more aggressive looking than the BFG AT's. I saw them on a friends truck last week and they look very cool. I'm considering getting a set for the street and mild trails. And keeping my BFG MT's for the serious stuff.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:04 AM
Away

None taken. I've seen both in person. I like the sidewalls on the BFG's better. But, that's what makes the world go round, isn't it?

G
Old 03-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Go with the Revos. I recommend the SL Load rating if you don't do any hard core off roading for the nicer ride on the highway. Get the "C" load rating if you do.

I've had 2 sets of BFG KOs and both sets dry rotted around 40,000 miles. I won't even consider them again. I liked them but they just don't last long in a hot dry climate.

The Revos have much more Engineeering in the tread design and tire compound than the BFG KOs and channel water better. First thing I noticed driving through deep puddles is that the Revos don't push the water to the front and sides. They force it to the rear. I'm used to covering the front of my runner and windshield with water splashed up from puddles and it dosen't happen with the Revos.

Bottom line is that they balance better and are even quieter than the Michelin LTX M/S that they replaced on my Runner.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

All I can say is that I have the old style BFG A/T's, the Radial A/t's no KO or whatever...and they SUCK in rain, its very dangerouus, if you hit the gas too hard you're gonna do a donut.

With that said, I would agree that the BFG A/T KO's do look more aggressive due to the sidewall but I know the Revo's are better on-road and it sounds like thats all you're really gonna use them for anyway.

I have heard nothing but good things about them...good luck on choosin your new rubber man!

Fink
Old 03-20-2004, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like the Revo's are the way to go then, I saw all the raving reviews on TireRack as well.

Anybody that has the MIchelin Corss Terrain's? They dont seem to popular on here, but most people on the forum want hard core stuff.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a few Pics of the Revos.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Thanx for the pics and help guys! I am defintely leaning towards the Revo's, as it seems Michelins which I love as car tires seem to be not so popular on SUV's.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

I would look at the Firestone Destination M/T
it looks great and acts great. and it has a good price. Look at the ratings...just a hair under the revos..and well above the ATKOs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ination+M%2FT&
Old 03-20-2004, 09:19 AM

man the revos look nice, a lot cooler than the bfg radial long trail I have on my truck... probably better on road and off road as well from what I've read on this forum.

guess I'll have to wait another 4 years before I wear mine down to get the revos haha oh well

my size tires come in R speed rating, how fast is that? can't find it on the site

Last edited by SolidDigital; 03-20-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Herkengineer
I would look at the Firestone Destination M/T
it looks great and acts great. and it has a good price. Look at the ratings...just a hair under the revos..and well above the ATKOs

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ination+M%2FT&
Their thread pattern looks a bit agressive, and they score the lowest on the noise/comfort side which is my highest priority as I commute a lot. Thanx.

Also a stupid question, if I go up in one size I should probably also change the spare tire as I have permanent 4wd??
Old 03-20-2004, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SolidDigital
my size tires come in R speed rating, how fast is that? can't find it on the site
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...eral/speed.htm

106 mph
Old 03-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Their thread pattern looks a bit agressive, and they score the lowest on the noise/comfort side which is my highest priority as I commute a lot. Thanx.

Also a stupid question, if I go up in one size I should probably also change the spare tire as I have permanent 4wd??
The score was an 8 ... ATKOs were a 7.9 for noise. but I agree, it was well under the revos for sound.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Thanx for the pics and help guys! I am defintely leaning towards the Revo's, as it seems Michelins which I love as car tires seem to be not so popular on SUV's.
I would have to disagree. If I were 4wd I would defiantely go the Revo route. For on road ride I would have to say that the Michelin X-Radial LT's that I have, would be hard to beat. My gas mileage alone on trips went up about 3 mpg over the stock Badyears. The ride is incredible. They are quiet and great on dry and wet pavement. If they are as good as my LTX's that I had on my 99 Tacoma, these will last well over 75K. Total price was in the $550 range installed at Sams.

Last edited by saintsteve; 03-20-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

Do the BFGs have a mileage warranty like the Revos?
Old 03-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Do the BFGs have a mileage warranty like the Revos?
BFG no mileage warranty, Revo 50k, Michelin 65k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which tires????