Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tint?

anybody here ever done thier own tint? if so could u describe how hard it was and post any pics if you got any? thx
Old 01-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my advice, would be fork it over to have it done. there are places that have a lifetime warranty on thier work, if it peels or bubbles, they'll fx it for nothin. I've seen people do thier own tint, it usually lasts about a year or so. I know there are tricks to it, I don't know what they are, so I forked it over. I had my rear window, rear quarters, and rear seat windows done for around 140. Hope that helps!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doin your own tint is ÅÅÅÅin HARD .... whoever had my runner before we got it did it himself and it shows, ˟˟˟˟s tore a little bit on every window and its turning purple.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:57 PM

1. Get a spray bottle and put soapy water in it.
2.Spray outside of glass with soapy solution.
3. Cut out tint to fit on OUTSIDE the window.
4.Clean inside of windows
5. Spray soapy solution generously on inside of window.
6. Peel clear layer off tint and apply to window
7. Spray down tint with soapy solution and squegee bubbles out.

There are a lot of trick to doing it well. I would also sugest getting a pro to do it. If it's done right it can last the lifetime of the vehicle. As others said most shops warranty their work.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

its not that hard at all, just takes time, ive done about 6 cars, TACOMANATOR said it very well, the only thing id add, is get an applicator kit, $5-10 it comes with a little squigy (sp) and take your time getting all the air out.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
1. Get a spray bottle and put soapy water in it.
2.Spray outside of glass with soapy solution.
3. Cut out tint to fit on OUTSIDE the window.
4.Clean inside of windows
5. Spray soapy solution generously on inside of window.
6. Peel clear layer off tint and apply to window
7. Spray down tint with soapy solution and squegee bubbles out.

There are a lot of trick to doing it well. I would also sugest getting a pro to do it. If it's done right it can last the lifetime of the vehicle. As others said most shops warranty their work.

I was looking at the guy do mines for the front. He took a blowtorch to it and heated the exterior.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:12 PM

The blow torch is used on the exterior edges, to dry out and adhere the tint to the edge before rolling up the window completely.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:08 PM

Tips that I've used to make tinting easier (I've done F150, Contour, Sunfire/Cavalier, Grand Am, Blazer, and will do my 4 runner soon as it warms up)
1.You could also use a hair dryer to dry the edges and to to help with curved windows.
2. Make sure when you cut your tint to fit on the outside that the plastic side of the film is facing you or you may have a peice that will work on the opposite side.
3. Once film is cut to shape put it back on the outside and work out any bubbles. This will give you a idea of where your problem area's are going to be. Also for curved windows you can use the blowdryer/heatgun (from inside of window) to heat shrink the tint to the shape of the window.
4. USE LOTS OF WATER AT ALL TIMES WHEN THE TINT IS ON THE WINDOW, if you don't want the tint to stick then keep it wet. Even when working out the final bubbles spray the tint until you are happy with how it looks.
5. Driver's license with paper towel on it helps to get into tight spots.
6. Work bubbles from the middle to the edges and work SLOWLY
7. If you do get bubbles or lines of air they can be fixed. I wait a few days for the tint to dry a bit. Then for bubbles you can either use a pin to poke a hole or holes in the middle of the bubble then spray with water and work out bubble. For the lines of air you can use a sharp utility knife and a ruler and make a fine slit in the middle and spray and work out air.
8. If your having to do your window in pieces (curved window and defroster lines) I would cut in 6-8" strips and try to match with defroster lines. This is done with a bright light on the inside and steady hands on the outside to cut.
9. If you made mistakes, don't worry just get it on as best you can and for the area's where you can see through the window, take a black felt and colour in the mistakes.....I've seen the pro's do this and it will do just fine as long as your marker is the same shade of black as the tint.
10. Work in a shaded area and one without wind......the wind will PO you real fast
11. 2 heads are better then one for this job.....unless you don't like the other person
12. For the roll up windows I always cut the top (since its easy to run a blade along the top edge of the window) and leave the already straight edge for the bottom (but leave a 1" or so of play for the bottom)

I AM NO PRO but I have some experience, so use my tips at your own discression.....after all I learned by trial and error

When I do my 4runner (90 2dr manual windows) I am thinking of taking the entire window out tint. I know its just a few screws for the rear 1/4's and the side vents and to take out the rear is a piece of cake.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

Leave it to the pros. Even if you could do a good job, you still can't get your hands on as high quality film as they use and it will fade/bubble. I paid $300 to do all my windows.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
at least out here in LA, you can get both front windows tinted with llumar (an above avg tint) for around $50 to $60. a little more for 3M tint.

ive tried tinting and its definitely a skill that takes alot of practice/experience and a clean shop environment. $50 is nothing to get professional results from people who tint all day.

bob
Old 01-25-2005, 03:28 AM

If you can do the mod by yourself, you can do this.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

I had my Eclipse done professionally using Illumar tint and in 6 years only had an issue with a little peeling on the passenger side window and it was done under warranty. I now have the same tint on my Runner so I expect no problems.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I had my Eclipse done professionally using Illumar tint and in 6 years only had an issue with a little peeling on the passenger side window and it was done under warranty. I now have the same tint on my Runner so I expect no problems.
Llumar tint is some of the best stuuf on the market. I believe there tint doesn't degrade over time like other lesser quality brands.
I would stay away from 3M film. Pesonal experience shows it is not as durable LLumar

Last edited by FilthyRich; 01-25-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:08 AM

$175 all the way around and a strip in the front done professionally. the only thing is that if you want it darker than legal they usually don't give you the warranty. my 2 pennies.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

get it done by a pro...no two ways around it. its not that much money for something that you can count on to last for a very long time. this is the one mod that is stupid to do by yourself. youll look like a mexican in a lowered truck with all them bubbles. IMO.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:37 AM

I did it to my car 5 years ago with tint from autozone or oreillys or some such, its lasted great, the only issue I had was I didn't notice a hair that fell under the tint. Otherwise its great. I pulled the glass out of my roll up windows and did it inside, cleaner that way. Take your time, use plenty of soapy water, use plenty of patience, and plan to freak out a few times.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:54 PM

Did you realize that this topic was back when dub-ya got elected for the second term?