Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tie Rod Ends are stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tie Rod Ends are stuck

I'm hoping someone will have a trick to help me with the dilemna. I can't get my Tie Rod End Ball Joints to release from the steering knuckle. I am waiting for some WD-40 to soak in and see if that will help. I have tried the old Pickle Fork to no avail and also hitting the steering knuckle near the ball joint area with a 24 oz Ball Peen to see if they will pop out. No joy.

Anyone got any other tips or advice? I need to replace the ball joint boots because one of them is torn.

Peace.
Dr. Z
Old 01-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you are having one of those days, Galen...

Don't you need a ball joint puller/press thingy to get those out? I seem to remember reading something about it once upon a time. I think Autozone might have the ball joint press things you can rent. Also, there is a better penetrating spray out there called PB Blaster you may want to try. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Good Luck!
Old 01-28-2003, 11:00 AM

which balljoint are you replacing? if it's the uppers, you don't need to remove any of that stuff. just remove the tire, unbolt the balljoint, and pop the balljoint off of the a-arm using a gear puller.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed you were talking about the steering ball joints. I've never done those before, but I'll check the procedure in my FSM tonight for you. My upper suspension ball joint boot kit came with instructions.

Last edited by phong; 01-28-2003 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:09 AM

PB Blaster

Is that Peanut Butter Blaster? j/k....
Old 01-28-2003, 11:12 AM
Away

Originally posted by loosehead
Sounds like you are having one of those days, Galen...

Don't you need a ball joint puller/press thingy to get those out? I seem to remember reading something about it once upon a time. I think Autozone might have the ball joint press things you can rent. Also, there is a better penetrating spray out there called PB Blaster you may want to try. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Good Luck!
Thanks Jayson! I'm gonna head to Autozone now. I wish I'd thought of that, but that's also why I posted.

Sometimes you can't see because you're stuck in the bubble.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks in advance to you too Phong. Let me know what you find out in case the ball joint puller is a no go.

Peace.
Dr. Z

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago; 01-28-2003 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I have been stuck in the bubble before, too.
Just don't too much over it...
Old 01-28-2003, 11:23 AM

PB Blaster is some good stuff, I have used it for years!! That stuff will soak into anything and free it up.

I have always used a press/puller to get them apart.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

PB Blaster is awesome. I used about a whole can of it when I took my plenum, fuel rails, and intake manifold off. I didn't run into one stuborn nut or bolt. It seemed to help get some of the hoses off too. (unless it was a mental thing--I could have been getting high off of it or something j/k)

Anyhow, sorry I couldn't answer your question. Just though I'd put my input in on PB Blaster too.

Well, have fun all.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-28-2003, 12:09 PM

I removed the balljoints on the steering when I did the lift on my truck and also the upper ball joints. We used a ball peen to break them loose, and you could try pullers, but be careful not to tear up the boot. Pullers are usually more effective, but I was told to hammer it out to make sure not to wreck the boot. Once again, make sure the puller does not get caught in the boot, otherwise you will have an even bigger mess.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Away

The puller worked. They had one specifically designed for Tie Rod Ends at AutoZone for $9.99. I bought it. I don't remember ever seeing these for Tie Rods before... Oh well, live an learn.

I gots new Tie Rod booties on now.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Dr. Z
Old 01-28-2003, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
The puller worked. They had one specifically designed for Tie Rod Ends at AutoZone for $9.99. I bought it. I don't remember ever seeing these for Tie Rods before... Oh well, live an learn.
Thats good to know. Glad it all worked out. You and your booties be careful out there...LOL!
Old 01-28-2003, 03:00 PM

Are you having problems with your R&P or replacing the bushings with urethane ones?
Old 01-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Away

Originally posted by FattyCBR
Are you having problems with your R&P or replacing the bushings with urethane ones?
I already did the Urethane Steering Rack bushings. I was replacing my Tie Rod End Ball Joint Boots.

By the way, if any of you are considering the Urethane Steering Rack Bushings, I highly recommend them. They make a huge, positive difference in steering feel.

Peace.
Dr. Z
Old 01-28-2003, 03:14 PM

Replacing your TREBJB's?

I've read that installing the urethane bushings is a b!tch, was it a PITA for you? Also where did you buy them from?
Old 01-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Away

It wasn't all that difficult. Getting one of the old bushings out was the hardest part. I bought mine from NWOR. They were $18.45.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 11-03-2003, 08:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just figured I'd bring this back to the top since tie-rod ends came up in another post and becuase I was having tie-rod end problems as well....

BTW - a sears mechanic said that the tie rod ends, if bad and excessively loose like mine, can just pop right out at any time. Is that indeed the case?
Old 11-03-2003, 09:08 PM

The joints can get looser and looser, but I think it would be a long time before they could actually sperate into two.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you think 13yrs and 240,000 miles would be enough time for that to happen?

Steve
Old 11-04-2003, 06:14 PM

Old 11-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by phong
which balljoint are you replacing? if it's the uppers, you don't need to remove any of that stuff. just remove the tire, unbolt the balljoint, and pop the balljoint off of the a-arm using a gear puller.

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed you were talking about the steering ball joints. I've never done those before, but I'll check the procedure in my FSM tonight for you. My upper suspension ball joint boot kit came with instructions.
I just replaced both upper and lower balljoints and inner tierods last weekend. I bought both sizes of tie rod seperators from autozone because the biggest one is needed to pop the tie rod out and the smaller on to pop the lower balljoint out (or vice versa I can't remember).

the upper balljoint isn't that easy, sure it's easy to pop it out of the a-arm but it is pressed into the steering knuckle and snap ringed on so it requires removing the whole knuckle and tip-toeing over to the shop press to apply a little force. it's in there pretty good. then you gotta press the new one in. I should have done a write-up but I was lazy and didn't think anybody else would be doing this. I can supply pics of the "jigs" I threw together for the press if you need them. here's the pics of the after install:

Quick Reply: Tie Rod Ends are stuck