Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

those with roof mounted bike racks...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those with roof mounted bike racks...

we have fairly large vehicles so mounting your bikes onto your roof racks can be a struggle....i'm here to ask how you guys mount your bikes. Good thing i work out because if i didn't i think it would be a little difficult...for sure my old man our my mom would have trouble getting the bikes up there because of the height and because of the weight of the bikes.

What are the best ways to do it?? right now i face the truck, put my right leg onto the rear tire and i grab the upper frame of the bike like i'm about to curl it. I then propel myself up with my right leg and at the same time i grab the bike rack with my left hand. Then i shoulder press the bike into the air and place the rear tire in the rack so it helps keep the bike stable while i place the forks into the scewer...

i'm sure there's easier ways but doing it solo i can't think of one..even with another person i don't see how else i could do it..

please share your techniques because a couple of times i've missed grabing onto the rack with my left hand and of course it isn't a gentle step down after propelling yourself up into the air when standing on the big rear tire...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM

Sounds like you have a roof rack so I'll give you my answer to that one.
Nut up! j/k I believe it was Yakima who at least awhile ago made some sort of rig where you could slide the skewer to the side of the vehicle so the fork could be mounted, and then the back of the bike had to be hoisted up to the roof but at least then the fork was secure. I don't know what it was really intended for, but I think it was at least initially tandems. I'm trying to solve this one before I get a 4runner.(hopefully this weekend) There is always a trunk rack, and if you have a hitch, a hitch mounted one. Or just throw them inside the truck.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 PM

and if you miss grabbing the rack on your way up, its just an oppurtunity to practice your 360s with a big sharp expensive object in your hand.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

I've got the same problem with my setup as well. What makes it worse is when you've been on an extremely long ride and then you have to hoist that thing back on top of the rack after you're already exhausted.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:17 AM

I was mounting mine the same way, but I had removed my running boards so I'd have to step on the rear tire with the rear door open and use the oh snazz bar and pull myself up...after i'd lift my bike up there
but really it should be easier when i get my sliders on and use em as a step. Yakima and Thule both make a hitch rack for like 100bucks, that would be more easy.