Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Taurus Fan Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taurus Fan Woes

i installed my taurus fan, and Have been having trouble with over heating ever since.

With 105+ degree heat here in fresno, the low speed is worthless, and the high speed doesn't do much of a job either. Driving at 70mph I constantly have to turn off the AC, then turn on the heat and use the heater core to bring the water temps down.

I have my fan switched, and I flip it on as soon as I start the car with the coolant cold, so It's not like the fan is comming on too cold.

I was wondering if you can only run one speed or the other i.e. low speed or high speed

Or could you add the two together to get a higher speed?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
You need the controller that bamachem got w/ his taurus fan, it runs the fan at variable speed all the time dependent on how cool it needs to be...not just low or high. Look for this thread on it.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:55 PM

@70mph you should cool well enough even without a fan. The fan is not the problem.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You need the controller that bamachem got w/ his taurus fan, it runs the fan at variable speed all the time dependent on how cool it needs to be...not just low or high. Look for this thread on it.

How would the controller keep his engine from overheating? It's overheating even on high.

Eric, mine is always on low and the gauge doesn't move unless I'm doing 70 up a steep long grade (like up to tahoe). Even on high it still overheats on those grades. I'll be going back to stock soon.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:01 PM

I think I'll be giong back to stock... but keep the fan if I get stationed in a colder climate.

I'm just bummed that I destroyed the stock fan shroud when trying to remove the fan & shroud
Old 08-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

That is weird. I have a mechanical temp guage, and with the low speed coming on at 185 degrees my engine has never been past 220 even in hot desert crawling.

I run a cheap adjustable controller, and have a new 180 degree t-stat. What is the difference??
Old 08-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I must agree w/ 4RUNR...did I say that out loud! You guys got other problems besides the fan...

Old 08-25-2005, 03:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most definitely. if you can't keep it cool going down the highway at 70 MPH, then you've got some other SERIOUS issues with your cooling system and you're blaming it on the taurus fan. it's NOT the fan, but something else. my fan turns OFF after i get up to about 40 MPH w/ the AC on in 95+ degree heat.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:53 AM

I agree as well. It's not the fan. Mine only comes on when I'm stopped. I have never come even close to overheating.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:40 AM

I also agree that it's not the fan... I had a problem with overheating at hwy speeds and it was do to the rad being somewhat partially plugged...

I can't say enough about how important it is to flush your cooling system on a regular basis...
Old 08-25-2005, 03:09 PM

well the car didn't overheat before I got the fan... install the fan, and It overheats.

I have a brand new water pump and t-stat.

I am open to suggestions though, so i will check the radiator... how do you check if it's plugged or not?
Old 08-25-2005, 04:34 PM

My buddy experienced overheating at 70 mph in his 1991 4Runner with V6 and auto tranny only when the AC was on. Turned out he'd forgotten to re-connect the small electric fan in front of the condenser/radiator that comes on with the A/C. when he installed his air horns. Yep. That little bitty fan kept it from overheating at speed.

So it could be his truck is fine but it's not getting enough air movement.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I read a post on the yahoo board for Toyota trucks where a person was having issues with overheating. He tried using an electric fan and had more problems than the original setup. He even tried locking the fan clutch so it would constantly be engaged. He still had more overheating issues than the stock setup. Take that for what it's worth.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Banned

Hmmm, do you have a working push pull relationship between the two fans? If you have the new fan connected where it is fighting the ac fan's wind current maybe they are cancelling eachother out. I dunno, just a thought.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You do have a fan belt that goes to your water pump right????? Overheating at 70mph makes me think not.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something is wrong. You really do not need a fan at all on these trucks.

This is a big point for me because I give this advice often and it seems to go unheard. With a clean working radiator, lines, and pump you should never over heat and rarely get too warm. Even at 100degrees, at idle, and for 20 minutes. The cooling system is pretty simple, but it is often hard to see clogs and problems. My truck had a radiator that was over 2/3rds blocked ( i think someone went crazy with leak stop ) and the heater core was compleately blocked. Even then I only got temp spikes if I had it ideling for a while, moving at all still cooled it enough.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with you there, but try telling these people it shouldn't overheat: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=Overheating
Old 08-26-2005, 10:31 AM

Ohh that was a fun thread. Epic Ed changed his posts a day later after being caught with a lie.

Posted: 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Last edited by Epic Ed : 07-28-2005 at 12:28 AM.

How bad is that
Old 08-26-2005, 11:41 AM

im getting ready to throw a duel fan setup on my 95runner v6, and ive been checking out as many threads as i can. its interesting, that alot of people say the flex a lite black magic is garbage, others had no problems at all. some have done custom jobs with taurus fans, or volvo fans, worked fine, others had problems. just from general wrenching expericiance, this is what i will do before, i think everyone should. make sure the cooling system is working properly to begin with!!!! i wonder if the biggest variable, especially with custom setups, is the fan shroud. from what i understand, the blackmagic fan shroud does not fully cover our radiators, or there is a gap area at the lower end, is this correct? i wonder if the people who are having problems, do not have a good seal with the shroud, it doesnt cover the radiator suffeciently, or the gap between the blade tip and shroud is to large. but yea, @70 cruise, you shouldnt use the fan at all, its averaging 104F here the last week in dfw, on the highway, im almost positive that it does not come on at all, seems under 35mph, is when it will start to come on. hmmm. ill be doing my electric fan setup soon, so i guess i will find out for sure
Old 08-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Seeing all this talk about fan issues. Bamachem I've followed your thread about the Volvo fan and managed to pick up a new-in-box fan. I was getting ready to install it and came across this below about a recall on the Volvo electric fan. Have you seen this and what do you make of it?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/volvo_fan.html

Eric

Quick Reply: Taurus Fan Woes