Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Swapping Toyota 1GR-FE (4.0L V6) in place of a 3VZ-E( 3.0L V6)

Old 09-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More pics! Lookin good that is going to be a sweet ride when all is said and done. I would mount up the diff (not sure how you're going to mount a drivers side drop diff in a mount made for a pass drop) then just measure the distance from diff output to wheel hub and find shafts that will fit or get some made with custom centres as thats how you'd change the length with the actual length of the axle shaft.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:35 AM

Good pics. Can't wait until you are done.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by windancer4x4
Thanks for the valued input. Iwant to beat the heat and not risk the transmission through modifications. Originaly, the traney goes in loops entering the engine radiator, but becaus eof space limitations in my truck, I wanted to seek other options and save the radator space for cooling the engine.
You can mount the tranny cooler beside the tranny. That's what Toyota did for the current model Hilux pickup. Toyota also attached a heat sink to the cooler. You'll be needing a longer hose though since the oil will have to go through the radiator first before going through the atf cooler then back to the tranny. If needed, you can provide a protector plate with some holes to allow the air to pass and cool the atf cooler.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

All I can say is "wow." Sounds like a pretty crazy swap...I look forward to hearing about the results when it's complete.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:32 AM

Just finished reading your thread and am planning on doing this swap also, but with a tacoma engine so I can keep my R-151 tranny. One thought I had is instead of you going through all the hassle of swaping the IFS, why don't you just do an SAS with a Jeep wagoneer D-44 they came with either pass. drop or Driver drop axles, and there about the same width you need, plus it would be a 100 times better than a 4" super lift kit, just my 2 cents.

Late
Joe
Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 PM

bringing back a old topic....
Can you take more pciturs of the mounts? I jsut want to take a look at how they mount up...do yo have any pictures of the engine on its own as well?

If so you can post here or if you can email them to me

I am planning my own "different" swap...
Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
What was done 'bout the oil pan issue?????....or did I somehow skip over it......if it's not solved yet,advanced adapters has a Toyota 4.3L v6 oil pan..... https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/co...g/product.jsp? could/would this work?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:46 AM

Engine Mounts - Custom

Originally Posted by Weasy2k
bringing back a old topic....
Can you take more pciturs of the mounts? I jsut want to take a look at how they mount up...do yo have any pictures of the engine on its own as well?

If so you can post here or if you can email them to me

I am planning my own "different" swap...
Hello Pal and every one out there.. I'm close.. the pics for the mounts are loading as I type..
The link is:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y243/windancer4x4/

I'll add more soon..

I learned Griffin Rad went south!! Be Careful

Last edited by windancer4x4; 12-03-2005 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-03-2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by drkgypsy
What was done 'bout the oil pan issue?????....or did I somehow skip over it......if it's not solved yet,advanced adapters has a Toyota 4.3L v6 oil pan..... https://eshop.advanceadapters.com/co...g/product.jsp? could/would this work?
As a solution, I had a 4" suspension lift from Super Lift and I am very satisfied with their tech line support and the way their products looks>>>> SOLID... Better than many out there..

Later guys..
Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 AM

thanks man!
Old 03-04-2006, 11:44 PM

1GR-FE (4.0L V6) swapped into a '92 4X4 P/U...wow!!

Hello everyone..Ya it took a while...but initial tests are undrgoing to drive it out in the street!! wait a minute there is some front differential noise!! It only appears when I shift from Drive to reverse or vice versa (then it disappears)... I am not certain about the teeth count.. any hints?...

Other that that.. all is well <for the most part>..can u imagine the fuel pump being changed inside of the fuel tank to the bulky newer one from the 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) 2003 Prado (similar to 4Runner).. Ya, I used expertise of the body shp man too.... I'm telling you.. it took a while but it's worth every minute of it... 245HP great.. Many thanks to Marty Foose of Be Cool Radiators for the custome made radiator with A/T cooler... Plus 2 Spal electric fans of 13"... Man what's saying is ..you gotta see it to believe it... lots of work...lots of patience and lots and lots of Passion to having genuine and 100% complete TOYOTA drive line...... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

guys..guys...tell em some about the front differential gears... I gotta post pics next time....

Last edited by windancer4x4; 03-04-2006 at 11:46 PM. Reason: additions and corrections
Old 03-06-2006, 08:22 AM

Old 04-16-2006, 02:19 AM

It works guys.... Eureka!! Eureka!! only about 245 HP!!!

Originally Posted by 99_Runner
Sorry pal for the pics.. i'm having problems with my digital cam also my lap top!! The great news is that we just did few test runs and the truck feels like a million dollars.... yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhaaaaaaaaaaa!! I need to say that the radiator from Be Cool is so great (Thanks to Marty Foose) and the tech support from Super Lift - I did not know that the tie rods need a 0.25 inch cut- is quick (Thanks David) >>> problem solved...

Few tweaks & bugs are still there still... they are related to A/c, stronger suspension (shock absorbers) in front specially, noise deadening materials...also lots and lots of wires are inside under the dash board need some nice decoration to hide them out of sight... One major problem with the new odometer & speedometer is that they are not working... I need a super-electrician to find that out since temp, fuel guage and RPM are working fine!!

The rear bars to prevent the rear axel from wrapping are also needed which hopefuly will be done this week...

Thanks to all of those who supported me and those who gave idea... I couldn't do it any sooner because the mechanical aid plus money were not always available... the end result is genuine Toyota POWER...

I'm thinking to contact a specialized magazine (like 4 wheel & off road) or other specialized shops for full coverage ( I got loads of photos) in anticipation of benefit$$$........

It works guys.... Eureka!! Eureka!! only about 245 HP!!! 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE)

Fakri
Old 04-17-2006, 09:13 AM

4WD Toyota Owner

Why not reach out to the only all Toyota magazine out there, 4WD Toyota Owner and have them do a write up for all to see your work. It would be cool.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:54 AM

damn... 245 hp? thats a bit less than cebby got out of his 1UZFE swap, and thats a 350 LB V8. thats impressive, fakri. One hell of a swap.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:51 PM

Sweet, glad to hear that everything worked out for you and you were able to get it running.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by highway74
Why not reach out to the only all Toyota magazine out there, 4WD Toyota Owner and have them do a write up for all to see your work. It would be cool.
QUOTE=FingerMan20
damn... 245 hp? thats a bit less than cebby got out of his 1UZFE swap, and thats a 350 LB V8. thats impressive, fakri. One hell of a swap.
-65,000 Miles
-Bone Stock
-Not for long

Hi Guys... Thanks for your applauds...I couldn't have done it w/o you and others like you...
Highway74: Which specialized TOYOTA magazine R U referring to?
FingerMan20: It took a lot of time, money, efforts and lots of patience and much more of research and passion for TOYOTA genuine POWER!!

Thanks to all out there..
Old 04-18-2006, 11:16 AM

to tell you the truth, mr. fakri, i want to look into giving my truck some "genuine TOYOTA POWER!!" 245 hp? yes, yes, yes. about how much did you spend for it all?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:58 PM

The cost is high..but worth it

Hello pal,, initially let me tell you that the rolled over truck I bought was at a time when there was not any or many available in the market and I waited for so long and already had my mind out from that 3.4L! That translated to higher -than I wished for- cost noting that I did not want the 3.4L (5VZ-FE) which was available everywhere plus people tried it and it made a success story with its 190HP.

I took the challenge and wanted the 245HP with VVT-i Technology 4.0L V6 in the 1GR-FE which is now making the headlines!! (...ya, in my head only!! LOL)

Estimate Cost breakdown:
1. $5,500.00 A complete rolled over 2003 truck (with only 4,500 miles)
2. 4" Super lift about $ 850.00 - Thanks Super Lift (Very nice product..thanks Dave... let's work on the instructions more please)
3. front driver side "pumpkin" - front differentials about $300.00
4. Extensive Mechanical aid plus locally made custom exhast $ 1,550.00
5. Wheel alingnment and steering alignment $ 100.00
6. customized a/c routing plus refrigerant $ 100.00 for now (still some work to come
7. I was about to forget the nice people at Be Cool Radiators (custome made radiator w/ shroud and 2 spal electric fans..cost about $ 1,200.00 I can not say but thank you very very much to Marty Foose. You are great every step of the way from design to calls to explanations and to delivery and packaging... the baseball cap [gift] is wow nice too.
7. More decorative work to be done on the floor...

I'm not even considering to add up the total now, simply because I do't care...as a final budget was not even considered from the early begining... say I'm crazy and I may agree with you <can be taken against you ...smile>, but my friend the issue was Toyota..TOYOTA...TOYOTA... not a 5.0L H.O. from a Mustang nor a 4.3L from Chevy small block... it's all about Genuine raw Toyota power.. th epassion and the challenge about what others have not tried yet... was it a gamble? may be... but that's where the fun is.... the project is reaching completion and that's a bit saddening for me!! I wanna take it to the stars..

Did I mention that I am having a 17" tires from the Toyota Prado I bout... wow ..sporty look.... I'll get an advanced alarm with DVD player installed too...

You did not know this but if I wanted to sell the truck before getting into the project, many people would have bought it... many eople are still asking about it now!!

I'll get a sign on it saying " NUT 4 Sail "

Later guys... & I raise my hat for all of you out there who helped or showed ineterst.... becaus ethat simply gave me an extra push for more and more... People are waiting for results and I didn't wanna disappoint ya....

Viva USA.............Viva USA.............Viva USA

Last edited by windancer4x4; 04-19-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:07 PM

man you ARE crazy!!! BUT, your passion is inspiring. I long for a 3.4L swap into my truck... Not that the 2.7L is crazy underpowered or anything... It makes me want to be able to look under the hood and see a V6, and say "i did that". nuts, man, just nuts. how did you know what all to do? how did you know whereare you a former auto technician or something of the sort? or are you just a genius?

hats off to YOU, sir.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping Toyota 1GR-FE (4.0L V6) in place of a 3VZ-E( 3.0L V6)