Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Swapping Toyota 1GR-FE (4.0L V6) in place of a 3VZ-E( 3.0L V6)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.0 L V6 (1GR-FE) success swap into a '92 4X4 truck

Originally Posted by FingerMan20
man you ARE crazy!!! BUT, your passion is inspiring. I long for a 3.4L swap into my truck... Not that the 2.7L is crazy underpowered or anything... It makes me want to be able to look under the hood and see a V6, and say "i did that". nuts, man, just nuts. how did you know what all to do? how did you know whereare you a former auto technician or something of the sort? or are you just a genius?

hats off to YOU, sir.
FingerMan20...I am No mechanic... I did my research and I believed there is a good chance that it is doable..made few measurements here and there and it all gave green light for teh go a head... there was the challenge that no one before touched this place.. so I'll be honored to do lots of exploration and I'll present that to all the folks at this forum and another where I got help and warnings!! I can tell you it is now worth every penny I put in it... I'll add a super entertainment syystem with DVD player too!! The power is just unbelievably nice... so satisfying... You gotta have passion 4 Toyota and lots of patience....

Check out the link to the NEW pics I added and tell me what you think.... isn't pretty... Others told me to buy a new Tacoma, but I said where is the fun part then!!

I'm waiting to hear from you about the pics....
Old 04-20-2006, 12:00 PM

http://photobucket.com/albums/y243/windancer4x4/

The link is blocked where I am at because -maybe- some uses it to post X-rated stuff, but I made a request to the proxy to allow me to access it to add more pics about my project... give me 48 hours guys... or at least that's what they promised me here!!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Hats of to you! Fantastic effort. I hope you get lots of attention from 4x4 mags/shops. It's great to read such a success story. I build R/C airplanes as a hobby and I get a lot of personal satisfaction from it. You must be extremely proud of what you've done!
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 AM

It takes ONE 2 know ONE!!

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Hats of to you! Fantastic effort. I hope you get lots of attention from 4x4 mags/shops. It's great to read such a success story. I build R/C airplanes as a hobby and I get a lot of personal satisfaction from it. You must be extremely proud of what you've done!
Many thanks pal for your comment... yes..YES...YES!!! I made it... Eureka..Eureka Eureka..[gota imagine me running naked in the street saying that!! Yekhkhkhkhkhk] I had no clue that all will be leading to a successful project. Yes, it was a risk I was willing to take no one else dared or yet stepped a foot on that unexplored territory...cost, mechanical difficulties and all of the above... It was all genuine TOYOTA to the bone... 245HP with all time 4WD..

Thanks again... It takes 1 2 know 1.........

I am still to make contacts with magazines and specialized shops....
Viva USA
Old 06-05-2006, 12:56 PM

Great project. Amazing turn out. Glad that you stuck with it and got it done no matter what it cost or what people said about it.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:18 AM

1GR-FE is a done Deal... SWAP Mission Completed

Originally Posted by 99_Runner
Great project. Amazing turn out. Glad that you stuck with it and got it done no matter what it cost or what people said about it.
Thanks 99_Runner!! Yup, it was a chalenge.... and if I go back in time -thinking about if I would do it- I would say: HELL YES... it's so satisfying to see the output folds right b4 your eyes....everystep fo teh way... It's even better than making a baby... this thing you buid with every nut & bolt.. the baby..you get only to ... <Never mind!!>

Thanks again to you and every one who supported me with cheers or even said I wil reach a dead end>>> that gave me a boost to prove them dead wrong... Ha ha ha
Old 06-26-2006, 02:59 AM

Hi Guys.. The story is a success...I love it.. and the A/C isblowing cold air but needssome improvement...not as cold as was with R12.

Anyway, the important thing now is like assessing the whole deal. There is a humming sound with teh front pumpkin which was swapped from a '98 Toyota prado. Honestly, I am not positive on the gears ratios. I also noticed some vibrations coming specialy when I turn left or right.

>>> When I took the front propeller shaft the car would not move when I put it in DRIVE or Reverse!! That was a temporay check I did. Any one knows why? How can I trick the system there? There is no wirings...all mechanical.

Again don't worry guys.. the project is splindid more than I can say and I will send you pics. Could one give me his contacts and I'll shoot him some pics for him to aid me to post them under this thread?
Thanks..
you rock....
Old 06-29-2006, 11:42 AM

I put a question on a thread seeking an advice where the dude is a wiz and he's putting the 4.0L from a LEXUS into his 2 Generation 4Runner!! wow ha?!.. I still need few advices though... The truck is running in the road but!!.>>>>>> Read below pls

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...123#post932123

Hi Guys..Great project you have!! I just finished mine swapping a 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) relacing the 3VZ-E 3.0L V6 on my 5Speed 4X4 X-Cab P/U. I'm done and it is a success story -I'm pleased to report!! search with my user name to see it "WINDANCER4X4"

Now, I wish to ask your assistance. I hear vibrations and I am doubting the front axle to be the cause. You will be surprised to know that I'm in Arabia and my truck is a US model bought from Arizona. The front axle is from a '98 prado to make the propeller shaft to driver side to mate with the t-case, while the donor vehicle was a 2003 Prado 4.0L V6 [I said that B4!!] with automatic tranney.Of couse we got the engine, ECU, wiring, 4in Lift from SuperLift [Nice one...Thanks] plus custome made Aluminum radiator from B-Cool [Thanks Marty] with A/T cooler.

As I said, the truck is running & drivable and it's testing stage -I wanna say- but there is some noise specially when turining right and left and some noticeable vibrations!!

I'm open to suggestion and I can show you many many pics..if you give me an e-mail and promise to aid me post them here.

Thanks guys windancer4x4@yahoo.com
Old 06-29-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first question is have you had the front axle apart? If the axle came from a Saudi Prado, there's a good chance sand has gotten past the seals and is wreaking havoc in the birfields. Either way, it might be due for a knuckle rebuild.

Also, are the steering stops in the right spot for your P/U vs. the Prados?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
My first question is have you had the front axle apart? If the axle came from a Saudi Prado, there's a good chance sand has gotten past the seals and is wreaking havoc in the birfields. Either way, it might be due for a knuckle rebuild.

Also, are the steering stops in the right spot for your P/U vs. the Prados?
Hey Cebby.. What "SAND" got to do with it { Tina Turner}?! <GRIN> The whole thing was cleaned, greased and new gears oil ( W90) was put in there. Well, ya, in fact I got the front axle from a 1998 Prado and I only used the Pumkin [PLEASE BARE WITH ME HERE]...Only the pumkin OK.. and I used the "what I call it" the axles and the CV joints from my own '92 TOY which seemed to fit perfectly.

So, why did I do all of that, you ask!!
1) The front propeller shaft in the 2003 donor Prado & the 1998 are both driver side while my 92 toy is passenger side!

2) I used the pumpkin from the 98 Prado because the one from the 2003 Prado seemed too wide which would put the axles and CV joints out of specs; i.e., be tooooooo wide on my 92 TOY. The 98 till 2002 Prado is less wide then newer models starting 2003.

3) the CV joint and the axles on the set up are the original ones from my TOY where bearings where cleaned and greased and the set up looked "WOW-looking" before testing.

The issue is that I still get some "GEAR NOISE plus noticeable shaking/vibrations!!! OUCH" starting -from a complete stop [1st gear] less noise on 2nd gear till it fades away........ the more speed I gain the less vibrations I get... does the front axle disconnect on those "ALL TIME $WD" TOYOTA's Automatically at higher speeds?

Any new ideas would be welcomed..
Thanks to all..

The truck is now a "Head Turner" or a "Neck Breaker".. you name it!! You would love it..

p.s.: I wish not to transplant this idea in your head, but if the truck makes some noise at low speads and first gear (and may be 2nd) but this seems to fade away as I speed up does this mean there is a mismatch with between from gears and transfer case transmision and rear gears [rear differential was not touched...it is the original one in my 92]

Thanks pal..

Last edited by windancer4x4; 08-14-2006 at 05:30 AM. Reason: spellin goofs
Old 08-15-2006, 12:03 AM

Beside my problem on above thread which still needs to be fixede... the speedometer is not working which is a bit annoying since I have to guage my speed with the tachometer/RPM on the freeway!! Could one advise what I should look for here.

>>>>one pointer here is that the donor vehicle got an ABS system on it while my 1992 4X4 truck was only rear ABS which was cancelled in the process becaus eof lack of space and wirings with the 3VZ-E ECU which are gone now.

Any hints guys..
Thanks..
Old 08-15-2006, 02:30 AM

Sweet Swap!!

Couple of questions.. so you used the tranny and xcase from the 03, so you have 2wd, AWD hi, AWD lo, 4HI and 4LO, thats sweet... were you able to keep use the brake system and get the traction control from the 03? If so how did you get wheel speed sensors on the front axle. Also, how did you get a bracket to hold the prado axle in place? Do you have anymore phots, I would like to see exhaust, shifters, front axle....
Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 AM

Hey AH64ID....Let me clarify plz... the front axle was taken from a 1998 Prado where I only used the pumpkin and I used the original shafts from my 1992! [REASON: width. the 2003 prado axle is wider than my truck and also wider than the oldeer prado; 2002 and older] The Prado is an ALL Time 4WD.

As for the brake system I did not use any from the prado since it had a 4-Wheels ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) while mine has only rear wheels ABS. No sensors in front!! The Prado front axle was held in place over the front and rear cross members of the 4" suspension lift I got from Super Lift by welding the original supports of the axle to custome made rackets on those cross members.

I got many photos and I would take more for you too. I need a hint in how to post them though or if you can assist me with that I can send them to you directly (@ no charge !! SMILE)

Later...
Old 08-16-2006, 05:46 AM

Gotcha, I understand the width, but the mounting had me confused....

I have an 03 runner and love the drivetrain!!

use photobucket.com free web hosting..... once you upload the photos it gives you an image link [IMG]www.xxxxx[/img], copy and paste and the photo shows up in your post.... like this

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE PHOTOS

Last edited by AH64ID; 08-16-2006 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:19 PM

Hey AH64ID... I got few pics taken for you and I shall post them 4 u 2N8! I hope the proxy from this end alows me to uload the pics...otherwise I can shoot them to your private e-mail and you post them 4 me w/ THANX

Tell me if you need any more pics... I'm realy proud to have finished this project with success.... gotta see the 245HP TOYOTA genuine power from the 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE)..........wow
Old 09-27-2006, 09:20 PM

I have an '05 tacoma rollover with 6 speed setup sitting in the garage -- I'm thinking about taking the big block chevy i'm currently running in my t100 out and putting the 6 cylinder in for fuel mileage mostly. I wont have the problems you encountered withe the axles because mine is running a front dana 60hp ford style axle. It would be a perfect bolt in. But my problem is with the wiring. I need resources on only necessary wiring involved to make this engine run correctly -- I don't want abs, airbags, any relays concerning the original truck, etc.,etc.........--- anyone care to lend some advice?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM

anybody know what happened to windancer?
Old 10-05-2006, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by millertime_t1
I have an '05 tacoma rollover with 6 speed setup sitting in the garage -- I'm thinking about taking the big block chevy i'm currently running in my t100 out and putting the 6 cylinder in for fuel mileage mostly. I wont have the problems you encountered withe the axles because mine is running a front dana 60hp ford style axle. It would be a perfect bolt in. But my problem is with the wiring. I need resources on only necessary wiring involved to make this engine run correctly -- I don't want abs, airbags, any relays concerning the original truck, etc.,etc.........--- anyone care to lend some advice?
Hi Millertime... I'm not certain if I can claim to be the right person for your intended setup! With mine, I borrowed all of the wiring from the donor truck to mine up to the guage cluster.....basically building the whole car up again... lots of work...lots of pain and lots of paitence involved..not to mention the cost....BUT the result is overwhelmingly satisfying..... copmlete success for the first project ever to transplant the 1GR-FE engine in a 2nd generation TOY Truck! around 245HP genuine TOYOTA POWER and the tourqe is just so exilerating <spellin>

Good luck to you.... your truck looks cool...any larger pics?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
ORS

Do you have any pictures of how the oil pan clears the center link and the differential. A few pictures would be amazing... We want to start researching that swap over here. It looks very clean, grear work!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:32 AM

ORS!! Great to hear from ya

Originally Posted by ORS
Do you have any pictures of how the oil pan clears the center link and the differential. A few pictures would be amazing... We want to start researching that swap over here. It looks very clean, grear work!!!
Do I feel honored/blessed to read from ORS?! <Smile>..
Ok I got probably tens and tens of pics to share with you. Pls. send me a private e-mail address to shoot you the pics and I shall send you the pics soonest possible.

I also wish to ask you to assist me in posting the pics in this forum, as my previous try was not a success with the www!

Gotta tell you that the propeller shaft is a driver side while the old set up in the '92 2nd Generation 4X4 truck was a passenger side! That's whu changing the front axel was a most keeping it IFS I got taht from a '98 Prado (similar to the '98 Tacoma which has a driver side propeller shaft). Also, I had a 4-inch suspension lift from Super Lift which is excellent for the intended job <I don't have any ownership share there!! 2 Bad..GRIN>

Ok, guys...gimmie your other e-mail and I'll send you the pics to help me post'em here...

May be you can tell me later about making a stronger suspension -specially in the front- for this truck....I think I still wanna build it more to be one of a kind!! I know you may fall in lovin my TOY once you see her.......

windancer4x4@gmail.com
windancer4x4@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Swapping Toyota 1GR-FE (4.0L V6) in place of a 3VZ-E( 3.0L V6)