Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Swapping Toyota 1GR-FE (4.0L V6) in place of a 3VZ-E( 3.0L V6)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello TOYOTA Gurus..
I do need your help now… It could be a silly mishap but the accelerator is not responding!!

As you know, these 1GR-FE’s, 4.0L V6’s do come now with a “Drive-by-Wire” where there is NO cable from the accelerator pedal to the engine allowing more VROOM Vrooom!! See the engine starts perfect, warms up automatically and then settles at about 700 RPM. Temp is normal and things are cool so far, except for that pedal…

I’ve been pulling my hair for a week now but with no luck. Now, I can hear from you your opinions. I don’t have the electrical diagrams for this engine [it would be great if one of you got a pdf version to share!!] or may be a hint to the solution.

Would a custom made “pedal with a cable” work fine, you think?
Thanks guys… tonight –as I promised- I shall post few pics …. Stay tuned!

Viva “ America.. the Beautiful”

p.s.: I shall come back to answer your good questions.. I never 4GO10
Old 05-22-2005, 12:05 PM

OK guys here is the start of pics..

http://photobucket.com/albums/y243/windancer4x4/

I'll add more soon..
Old 05-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

I just love the location of the oil filter on those engines. Engine mounts look pretty solid too, looks good altoghether.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by windancer4x4
... Would a custom made “pedal with a cable” work fine, you think? ...
Am not sure if it can be done because the the drive-by-wire system is linked to the ECU through some sensors. And that's why these drive-by-wire engines have quick responses from the accelerator movement because the ECU quickly computes the amount of fuel needed and sends the signal immediately to the injectors.

Are all sensors in place already?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:47 AM

ACCELARATOR pedal is in good order now..

This is to update you guys with the latest.. though it took a while to figure out...as some of you already hinted>>> it was the wirings & everything went cool from there... the engine now revs nicely and the "drive-by-wire" accelerator is working fine...

Now I want to get the ABS, rear axle and hide the wiring web under the dash board. Guys please let me know how easy or difficult is it to shorten the rear axles of my donor vehicle to match the needed measurement of my '92 4X4 ruck??

Thanks always..

No [TOYOTA] Problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking" -Voltaire
Old 06-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any pix yet??
Old 06-19-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda
Any pix yet??
There is a link, 4 posts above yours.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:35 AM

Congrats on the swap. I hope that you are able to figure everything out, as this is very interesting. Just wondering what you were planning on doing for the front driveshaft and everything. If I'm not mistaken then your truck has the dif on the passenger side and the new t-case has the output on the drivers side.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:02 AM

Damn good job there......
Old 06-21-2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 93_Runner
Congrats on the swap. I hope that you are able to figure everything out, as this is very interesting. Just wondering what you were planning on doing for the front driveshaft and everything. If I'm not mistaken then your truck has the dif on the passenger side and the new t-case has the output on the drivers side.
Thank you and all the guys who gave me support and others who gave me a push to challenge the unknown!!

I'm now doing a "mission possible" where I'm stationed which taking my hands off the project, but to answer your question about the front differential and the t-case being from the driver side (while my original '92 truck goes from the passenger side), I plan to place a differential from the Tacoma's that came with the 3.4L engine which came from the 95 till 2002. Surely, I plan to have a newer model.. I still need to confirm the measurements .. but initial search seems to be promising..

Also, I have to add the my truck is going to a 4" suspension lift from "SUPER LIFT"... that 4.0L engine is really tall where I had to take the old differential out to place the engine ..the oil pan is exactly where that pumkin is!! Again it should be fine with the 4" lift or I would add a 2" body lift which I will leave to the very end... Also, a hood scope is in mind if I really..really have to.. I need an artist for a custom made "artistic" scooooooooope!!

Other major considerations are with the compatability of the airconditioner system from the donor vehicle!!..

then... having a fuel tank from the donor along with its weird wires and 3 hoses...

Any one wishes to advise me on hooking the ABS??

Thanks again..
Viva USA..
Old 06-21-2005, 04:12 PM

I plan to place a differential from the Tacoma's that came with the 3.4L engine which came from the 95 till 2002. Surely, I plan to have a newer model.. I still need to confirm the measurements .. but initial search seems to be promising..

Viva USA..
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all tacoma's driver side drop for the trasfercase? I dont see how this will help you with your passenger side axle on your 92?

I think the only 3.4's that had passenger side transfercase were the late model T100's.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dirtoy4x4
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all tacoma's driver side drop for the trasfercase? I dont see how this will help you with your passenger side axle on your 92?

I think the only 3.4's that had passenger side transfercase were the late model T100's.

Hi Dirtoy.. The tacoma is what exactly I need since I'm using the transfer case from the donor truck too which has a driver side drop <a match!>.. i.e. I'm not using the t-case from the '92 year which is a passenger side.. that's a no no.. I hope I made it clear pal.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:18 AM

Hi Guys..Here are some numbers that i wish to hear your < and others'> opinion to:

My 1992 4X4 TOY truck has the front width from tire center to tire center being 58.25 inches. while the 2000 Prado has the width of 59 inches.

The mechanic helping me with this feels a black-out and the truck is causing him a "Nightmare on Elm St."... but 4 me I "Never say Die".. I'll never surrender... atime and money will be put since I reached thus far!! <keeping my sanity intact>

My problem described: Would the extra 3/4 of an inch cause a major problem. How would that affect the A-arms, suspensions links ..etc.?
My lift <from Super Lift> is specificfally for the 1992 which has the IFS pumpkin on the passenger side. Now, I'm shifting to the 2000 Prado with the pumpkin on the driver (Left) side. >>>Does any one has a detailed instructions of how to do the 4 inches suspension Lift? The mechanic seems to be scared now and going over the instructions printed from SuperLift web site...I found my self a bit lost too.. OUCH! About the rear axle, I not even considering to look at it now.

I wish to hear a feedback/opinion/suggestion from all of you out there..
Happy & safe summer
Old 07-17-2005, 06:25 AM

Auto Transmission Oil Cooler.
I wish to be guided by the gurus reading these lines.
1. Would it be fine to have an air colled oil cooler?
2. If (1) is not acceptable or harmful to the auto transmission, then would it be fine to have an electrical fan cooling that oil cooler?
3. Do I have to have the oi cooler passing through the radiatior for better colling efficiency and all that is needed for longer life of the tranney?

Thanks all..
Old 07-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

1 and 2. many people do this, so go for it.
3. I don't quite get the question

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see it done.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:18 AM

Auto Transmission Oil Cooler.
I wish to be guided by the gurus reading these lines.
1. Would it be fine to have an air colled oil cooler?
2. If (1) is not acceptable or harmful to the auto transmission, then would it be fine to have an electrical fan cooling that oil cooler?
3. Do I have to have the oi cooler passing through the radiatior for better colling efficiency and all that is needed for longer life of the tranney?

Thanks all..
An air cooled only trans cooler setup will work, as long as you size the unit properly and it receives some type of air flow where you mount it.

Using an electric fan to provide air flow for the trans cooler is OK, but may not be necessary if you size the cooler big enough.

You don't have to have the radiator trans cooler in the loop, but with it in place, the add-on cooler doesn't have to be as big.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 AM

Tranney Oil cooler

Praufet:
Thanks for your input. The project is going slow but on solid steps. I can't wait to see it all up and running.

By no (3), I meant having thetranney oil loop going through the engine radiater for added cooling [ hopefully not getting more heat from the engine cooling fluid!! that would be really dum if it is or if I do that!!]

TechWrench:
(Do you have the 1GR-FE 4.0L V6? Have you heard if TRD releasing a supercharger any time soon?)
Thanks for the valued input. Iwant to beat the heat and not risk the transmission through modifications. Originaly, the traney goes in loops entering the engine radiator, but becaus eof space limitations in my truck, I wanted to seek other options and save the radator space for cooling the engine.

Guys, any feedback/advice with teh installation instructions of the 4" suspension lift from SuperLift..
I guess

Last edited by windancer4x4; 07-18-2005 at 12:24 AM. Reason: addition
Old 07-18-2005, 01:44 AM
Contributing Member

I'm gonna have to search for it, but in a hot rod or car craft magazine I saw a tranny or oil cooler that was pretty trick. Not the typical radiator looking thing. I'll try and find it tomorrow, but not I gotta sleep.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:28 AM

Super Lift is Done Great! >> now: A customized Aluminum Radiator is needed

Gentlemen.. (Your voice is need to be heard, pls.)
Last week was an eventful one on the professional level & also "Hobby level"

Super Lift package is greater than great. The trucks looks wow. For an amature (like myself) it was a challenge in addition to the installation instructions being not thorough.. lack of a good number of diagrams along with clarity. I had to borrow information from Pro Comp installation instruction about how to install this or that and compare that to my kit. Thanks pro comp.

>>> the end result (along with an overseas call to Super Lift Tech line: THANX Super Lift... The kit looks and feels so nice..

Now, I need help with fitting the axle I bought from the 2000 prado with the pumpkin being now at the driver side. The axle is a bit wider by about 3/4 of an inch. Could one shorten the CV joints?! I'm not sure if the splins would fit in the hubs of my 1992 4X4 truck. Any opinions?

Also, I wish to hear from you about which Aluminum radiator would you recommend. It will be a customized one to fit my truck and fulfills the needs of 4Wheeling & hauling..

Opps gotta go now... urgent call..
Later guys

"I couldn't have done it without your cheers! Let me hear from you pls."

Last edited by windancer4x4; 08-01-2005 at 11:36 PM. Reason: spelling oops
Old 09-18-2005, 04:44 AM

Hello every one..
Ya, it's taking longer than I wanted... but it's growing in the right direction..
Here is the link to few pics..

OK guys here is the start of pics..

http://photobucket.com/albums/y243/windancer4x4/

I'll add more soon..

Quick Reply: Swapping Toyota 1GR-FE (4.0L V6) in place of a 3VZ-E( 3.0L V6)