Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

supercharger/deck plate mod combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharger/deck plate mod combo

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I found it a couple of days ago and have read a lot of real interesting stuff. What a great site! I have an '02 Tacoma double cab with 3.4L V6, TRD supercharger, TRD off road package, towing package, TRD air filter and a few other items. I like the idea of the deck plate mod and want to do it if it makes sense in combination with the supercharger. In fact, I was planning to do it until I read posts about how after-market intakes, like K&N's FIPK, actually degrade performance by making supercharged engines run lean. So, here's the question: will the deck plate mod help me or hurt me? Is there any dyno data available? I'm sure the topic has been addressed previously, however, my searches did not come up with anything definitive. I apologize if my question is a repeat, but will appreciate any helpful info. Thanks for a great site!
Old 09-27-2002, 10:06 AM

I don't have any dyno data, but I just did the deckplate mod, and it definitely compliments the supercharger in my 4Runner. I am not good in describing technical data so... Check out Gadget's site in regard to "air induction". You will learn a lot from his site..I know I did

and...welcome to the forum
Old 09-27-2002, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I'm not sure on this. I run a SC with the deckplate mod but I have *always* suffered from excesive pinging. I now use the deckplate to help me manage the pinging. For example, I need to reset my ECU every couple thousand miles or so to reduce pinging. When I do, I open my deckplate. It runs a little weird for a couple hundred miles while adjusting. Once it has "learned" what it needs to know, I close up the deck plate and I get much better preformance with little pinging. I do run lean.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:51 AM

deck plate mod w/ supercharger

Thanks for the info! Based on what I read at Gadget's site, it looks like the combination of deck plate and supercharger is not a good idea unless the fuel delivery set-up is changed. I don't want my truck to run lean. Can anybody shed any light on what it takes to change the fuel system to an appropriate set-up? What would it cost?
Old 10-02-2002, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

You'll probably find that the most popular set-up is as follows:
Deckplate mod
305cc injectors from N/A Supra
Apex'i S-AFC

If you go this route, I would strongly recommend and aftermarket exhuast system with a free flowing muffler and 2.5 to 2.75" pipe from the cat back. TRD makes a bolt-on kit, but you'll probably save a couple dollars getting a custom setup.

Just my .02!
Old 10-02-2002, 06:44 AM

Hey HaveBlue, Thanks for your input. I was just reading some of your comments on a thread started by Tomus1000. I posted a question there regarding the use of cooler than stock plugs. I think the full set-up you described my be beyond my scope. I would, however, like to address the ping issue. Will you please read my question on the other thread? I'd be very interested in your thoughts. Thanks.