Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SUPERCHARGED V6 Vs. V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUPERCHARGED V6 Vs. V8

How fair is it to compare a SUPERCHARGED 3.4L to a V8?

One that has all the needed upgrades for the extra boost.

This V8 can either be from TOYOTA, CHEVY, DODGE, or FORD.

How does it match up to either one of those V8's?

Be honest, set your mind state free from that, TOYOTA's are the best in the world (I know those are some people's opinion, which are not wrong, but I want a good answer from a good perspective).

I'd like to see how good they match-up to any of those V8's, in both, horsepower and torque.

I guess you can exclude the big-block V8's, for example, the CHEVY's 8.1L and FORD's 6.8L V8.

KING
Old 09-09-2003, 06:36 PM

Im no expert but I would have to say that a v-8 would probably create a little more torque with the same horsepower and at a little lower rpm. Other than that the only thing I can say would be that you wouldn't need to run premium fuel as compared to a SC 3.4
Old 09-09-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove a SC'd Sequoia a short while back - it was a little faster than my 2nd Gen...

OK, at idle it was pulling away from my 2nd Gen.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
I drove a SC'd Sequoia a short while back - it was a little faster than my 2nd Gen...

OK, at idle it was pulling away from my 2nd Gen.
what he meant to say was "that at idle the g-force the sequoia was creating was pulling his 2nd gen ... "
Old 09-10-2003, 06:05 AM
TOR

V8 or V61

Well that all depends. We got two guys here at the shop, one with a supercharged T100 and rear locker, the other with an 03 Tundra V8 supercharged. Anyhow at redline racing about a month ago the T100 left the Tundra in the dust on the 1/8 run and beat him by a car link. Both are automatics and both are very well maintained, seeing as both are owned by Toyota mechanics. Just all depends.

Todd
Old 09-10-2003, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Re: V8 or V61

Originally posted by TOR
Well that all depends. We got two guys here at the shop, one with a supercharged T100 and rear locker, the other with an 03 Tundra V8 supercharged. Anyhow at redline racing about a month ago the T100 left the Tundra in the dust on the 1/8 run and beat him by a car link. Both are automatics and both are very well maintained, seeing as both are owned by Toyota mechanics. Just all depends.

Todd
So you are saying that a S/C 3.4L beat a S/C 4.7L?!?!?!
Old 09-10-2003, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: V8 or V61

Originally posted by SLC Punk
So you are saying that a S/C 3.4L beat a S/C 4.7L?!?!?!
Hmm... Todd, any chance on seeing the timeslips from the run? I'd bet that the T100 pulled a holeshot. That would explain a car length lead at an 1/8 of a mile.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:39 AM

I guess I miss understood the question. I thought he was referring to a SC V6 versus a NA V8
Old 09-10-2003, 06:40 AM
TOR

V8 OR V6

Yeah I think they stil have their time slips. The Tundra got the T100 the first two time due to reaction time and the fact that the T100 couldn't hook up. However upon switching lanes the T100 smoked him. He did blow him out the whole but he kept his lead throughout, let me see if they still have their time slips.

Todd
Old 09-10-2003, 04:47 PM

WOW!!

I find that extremely hard to believe that a 3.4L V6 SUPERCHARGED can actually beat a V8, and not only that, but A SUPERCHARGED V8!

INSANE!!

That's really impressive though.........................

Anyways, no one really tackled the challenge here the way I was hoping, with the exception of TOR to an extent.

The reason I was asking was becasue, often times, whenever I'm driving of course, I either pull up to a V8 (That being either a CHEVY, FORD or DODGE) or it pulls up to me and I'm only tempted to "race" it, if you will.

Now, I know there is no competetion what-so-ever between my minute V6 compared to one of these big-block V8's, but I'm actually (This is a first) quite surprised at how my truck responds in such occurancess.

I don't know if this is only me, but I think my truck has pretty good high RPM torque, considering the fact we're talking about a 3VZE. It almost feels like a turbo (Well, not quite, but you get the point). Whenever that high RPM torque quicks in, it technically feels like I am flying down the road.. LOL!

So even though the V8's always get ahead of me, I often think; imagine if I had a 3.4L SUPERCHARGED V6, the V8 wouldn't look as good as it does now.

So that was my reason for the question.

As always, I like to show appreciation for the replies, so thanks to all of you.

KING
Old 09-10-2003, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: V8 OR V6

Originally posted by TOR
Yeah I think they stil have their time slips. The Tundra got the T100 the first two time due to reaction time and the fact that the T100 couldn't hook up. However upon switching lanes the T100 smoked him. He did blow him out the whole but he kept his lead throughout, let me see if they still have their time slips.
Thanks Todd, that be great to see.

I've always had an "issue" with 1/8 mile drags 'cause it'll favor the holeshot over the power curve. I'd bet that the V8 would have caught him in the 2nd 8th of a 1/4 mile.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:52 AM
TOR

V6 or V8

King, you would be surprised what my 4-Runner can take off the line. My boss's sun has a 99 Taco supercharged, smaller pulley, and TRD exhaust and he can eat Mustangs and Chevy big blocks all day long. The only thing that we don't even play with on the road is the Lightnings, those damn things are FAST. I'll tell you what, it never ceases to amaze me and the others I race how much that little power plant can put out. That's why out of all the things I am wanting to put on my truck I am waiting for Gadget's new fuel delivery system. This is one guy that I think really knows the limits and boundries of this engine and will be able to do more for it in his package than any other performance shop, magazine, or dealership.

On an off note, for those who have been reading this my buddies that raced w/ the T100 and Tundra will race again. The T-100 hasn't done anything more to his truck lately. The Tundra however has! He sent the computer off to Nevada to have it reprogrammed, bye bye "drive by wire". He has a new set of heads ported and polished on its way and is sinking the same NOS system I am in his truck. Needless to say it won't be beat next time. I will keep you guys posted on the results and if I can get them to bring their tickets with times and speeds I will scan and post. Later guys.

Todd
Old 09-11-2003, 10:27 AM

Re: V6 or V8

Originally posted by TOR
King, you would be surprised what my 4-Runner can take off the line. My boss's sun has a 99 Taco supercharged, smaller pulley, and TRD exhaust and he can eat Mustangs and Chevy big blocks all day long. The only thing that we don't even play with on the road is the Lightnings, those damn things are FAST. I'll tell you what, it never ceases to amaze me and the others I race how much that little power plant can put out. That's why out of all the things I am wanting to put on my truck I am waiting for Gadget's new fuel delivery system. This is one guy that I think really knows the limits and boundries of this engine and will be able to do more for it in his package than any other performance shop, magazine, or dealership.
Just more reason to get a SC TACOMA!

That's exactly what I wanted to know!
Old 09-11-2003, 11:07 AM
TOR

KING

Hey King, I believe if you go out to Maxx Autoworks site they have some of the highest horsepower Tacos and 4-Runners in the country there. However, if you really want the best opinion or suggestions there is no substitute for www.gadgetonline.com. I have sent several emails both asking for suggestions and advice and all have been met with very descriptive and prompt answers. Hope that helps.

Todd
Old 09-11-2003, 11:50 AM

i also say amen to gadget....great guy will always help out the best he can....

Anyway i love my S/C tacoma and the fact that its a 96 blows lots of peoples mind the pseed and power....even while its untunedright now it responds so well....the toyta dealer by my house owes me a free oil change =] they bet it woudlnt work properly.

And the power wont stop till i finsh tuning and finsih all the wiring....and your right you dont need premium in v8 but it does suck more gas then the s/c taco...well at least mine...

anyway love my truck and all tacos....and love the 5vz as well...
Old 09-11-2003, 12:04 PM

Re: KING

Originally posted by TOR
Hey King, I believe if you go out to Maxx Autoworks site they have some of the highest horsepower Tacos and 4-Runners in the country there. However, if you really want the best opinion or suggestions there is no substitute for www.gadgetonline.com. I have sent several emails both asking for suggestions and advice and all have been met with very descriptive and prompt answers. Hope that helps.

Todd
Where is MAXX AUTOWORKS?