Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bucksot mudders... help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucksot mudders... help?

Tire problems. I've blown a belt on one my old Gateway Buckshot Mudders... and I've got no spare. They're old... I'm not sure how old (they came of an early Bronco that had been sitting for years) but the tread is still good. I see that Maxxis now makes Buckshot Mudders and so did Denman for a while... any thoughts on mixing the brands of Buckshot if I only buy two new tires? It doesn't look like the tread pattern has changed significantly, but I've read mixed reviews of the Maxxis mudders. Also... I'm not sure about the size. They're NR78-15LT... what's that in modern "tire-ese"? I think they're 32 or 33 inch tires and about 9.50 wide. They're certainly taller and skinnier than the stock 'runner tires. If I do go with all new... any reccomendations? I like the old Gateway Buckshot Mudders... no complaints except in dry loose conditions (which aren't overly abundant on the BC west coast) and in the rain on the pavement (which certainly is abundant on the BC wet coast). Also... the old tires were ciped... does it really make a difference?
Old 09-08-2003, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the tires you're talking about. Very aggressive looking. My dad used to have them on his hunting truck. There's a Gateway dealership 2 hours away from where I live and last time I was there (about 2 years ago) I remember seeing some on display. So I'm sure they still make them. I don't know how much good that does you since you're in British Columbia and I'm in MS. Also, all siping does is add better wet traction so if you can get the new tire siped then that would be better, but if not I wouldn't stress about it too much. You could even do it yourself with a sharp knife.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would also know where to buy them, if i can find a set after the ones i have are all worn down. they're great tires from my experience, not too noisy on the highway and won't leave you stranded offroad
Old 09-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Those Maxxis Mudders are nothing like the Buckshots you are talking about. They are like a BFG or Bridgestone mud tire. Try www.natltire.com
If they still make the original "Buckshots" I think they'll be hard to find. Try a Super Swamper TSL, they'll have something in that size.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i found them after searching for a while. www.tyres1.com has them. i'm going to pick up a set of 33s when i fix up my suspension, since i like the 31.5s i have on my truck so much
Old 09-10-2003, 08:14 AM

thanks kyle

Thanks Kyle... Found them at both National Tire and Tyres International. But National doesn't give the brand name... and seems to specify the size I need aren't radials?!? They don't ship to Canada anyway. And Tyres International has them for 4-bucks less a piece (which is like $364 Canadian ,I think... LOL). Too bad I just can't seem to find anyone in Canada that sells them. Once you factor in the exchange rate and import duties and installation... it doesn't seem worth it to pay a grand for the Buckshots. I like them... but not that much. And I'm still leary of buying only two and mixing.
Oh well. I guess I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I can get a set of Kumho Venture M/T's for $592 installed or some Mickey Thompson Baja Claws for $716. I'm dreaming of some Goodyear MTR's ($1200 installed... damn!)
But NOTHING beats a set of tall skinny muds around here. Wish I could find something in the 32x9.2 range again. Sigh.
Thanks again for everyone's posts.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Re: thanks kyle

Originally posted by smike
Thanks Kyle... Found them at both National Tire and Tyres International. But National doesn't give the brand name... and seems to specify the size I need aren't radials?!? They don't ship to Canada anyway. And Tyres International has them for 4-bucks less a piece (which is like $364 Canadian ,I think... LOL). Too bad I just can't seem to find anyone in Canada that sells them. Once you factor in the exchange rate and import duties and installation... it doesn't seem worth it to pay a grand for the Buckshots. I like them... but not that much. And I'm still leary of buying only two and mixing.
Oh well. I guess I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I can get a set of Kumho Venture M/T's for $592 installed or some Mickey Thompson Baja Claws for $716. I'm dreaming of some Goodyear MTR's ($1200 installed... damn!)
But NOTHING beats a set of tall skinny muds around here. Wish I could find something in the 32x9.2 range again. Sigh.
Thanks again for everyone's posts.
Isn't there a 32x9.50 Swamper TSL?
Old 09-11-2003, 12:10 PM

Oh....

Oh well.
Just got a set of BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's installed. $325-bucks cheaper altogether than the Goodyear MTR's. Oh well. Maybe I'll get some swampers next.
Thanks again for everyone's $.02