Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Success!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Success!!!

Well, as a lot of you know, Grille Guards squeek like crazy when youre going over bumps, or wheeling.

I got pissed that mine was doing it. After some searching, I found the problem. The bolts holding the upper mounts to the bumper were loose.

I went tot he hardware store, got 4x Grade 8 1/4-20 bolts, 4x Stainless Steel 1/4-20 nuts, and 8 stainless steel 1/4" flat washers.

I replaced the loose nuts and bolts with the new hardware, sinched down tight, and no more squeek.

Now, why didnt I just use the exixting hardware? It was rusted to hell, and there were no washers. I broke 2 of the bolts trying to get them out.

In order to do this, you have to get out the grille, and the 2 painted pieces under the headlights. The grille took me a good 45 minutes to take out. When I undo 1 clip, go to do another, the first one popped back in. The 2 metal pieces under the headlights were held on by 1 screw each, and a clip each. I broke one of the clips trying to figure out how to get it out. Hell, I still dont know how it comes out.

So, if your truck is squeeking, check the bolts ont he grille guard upper support brackets.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
why grade 8? oh yeah, its your mommy's money so why not!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToferUOP
why grade 8? oh yeah, its your mommy's money so why not!
tofer,

enough

bob
Old 09-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Why wouldn't you go with grade 8? You want the guard to stay on, right?
Old 09-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Good writeup. I am sure many will benefit.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Banned

I used grade 8 because it cost me 3 cents more than regular stainless hardware.

This bolt isnt holding the guard on. It holds the upper mounts on, which are there for a little extra stability.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

can you post a pic of these upper mounts? mine has no such thing
Old 09-14-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Khanh, check out these innovative new products! Everytime you do something to that truck you break the bolts off, try one of these:

When reinstalling removed bolts, to keep them from rusting solid try:

tofer,

enough

bob
Whats this? Cracking down on the Khanh busting Bob?
Khanh please go post some horribly sad thread topic which obviously leaves you open for criticism so that we can see this crack-down in effect.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:48 AM

please do not defend "the gang". when one see's a lost cause, it is very important they do not try to find it.. after all, all things are "lost" for a reason.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by bflooks
please do not defend "the gang". when one see's a lost cause, it is very important they do not try to find it.. after all, all things are "lost" for a reason.
I am not sure I fully understand what you mean by this...
Old 09-14-2005, 11:18 AM

i mean...gangus is lost. not just a little, but completely. 5' breaker bars, 3 broken ratchets...on one shackle!?

broken bolts on a brush guard, that he says is his, but we all know is his mom's runner.

so...when you stumble across someone like him, you just sit back and take it in. it is fun to watch. just don't try to defend him because his next post will say something tool'ish, and you would have put your neck out there for nothing.

he is "the wonder that is gangus2006". LOL!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:24 AM

I see, I wasn't defending him, I was suggesting a possible way to avoid broken bolts. I believe that was Bob doing the defending.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Banned

i mean...gangus is lost. not just a little, but completely. 5' breaker bars, 3 broken ratchets...on one shackle!?

broken bolts on a brush guard, that he says is his, but we all know is his mom's runner.

so...when you stumble across someone like him, you just sit back and take it in. it is fun to watch. just don't try to defend him because his next post will say something tool'ish, and you would have put your neck out there for nothing.

he is "the wonder that is gangus2006". LOL!
Originally Posted by Gangus2006
-Get a ratchet, and a couple 3" extensions you dont mind breaking. I broke a ratchet, and 2 extensions trying to take the stock bolts off.
Brian,

learn how to read, remember, and reference before you try to be a [edited by Bob_98sr5].

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 09-14-2005 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:43 AM

Brian,

learn how to read, remember, and reference before you try to be a .
Oh my, everyone watch out, its VENGEFUL KHANH! Here to argue the smallest missed detail!

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 09-14-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
look guys, good natured ribbing is fine, but somewhere you have to draw the line. if everytime gangus buys something and someone writes "oh, thats your mommy's money", it gets annoying. some people have to scrape for everything they get, some don't. some people know how to spend wisely, and some spend foolishly without consideration. that's life.

conversely gangus, if you keep writing stupid shizzle, you set yourself up for criticism. advice: think before you write

bob
Old 09-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

And this is stupid how? I know a lot of people have issues with squeeky grille guards, so I posted this. I put that the bolts might be rusted, so be prepared for them to break.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

I, for one, happen to know how easy it is to break a bunch of bolts, to break tools that you thought wouldn't break during use, etc. And if the point to some of the ribbing here is that it is his mother's 4Runner, then there is still something positive to note: he is taking care of it as if it was his own, and not everyone would do that.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Banned

And this is stupid how? I know a lot of people have issues with squeeky grille guards, so I posted this. I put that the bolts might be rusted, so be prepared for them to break.
I break bolts alllll the time. Okay, not all the time, but often. Mostly ones that were supposed to be holding the skid plates on but got beaten up pretty severely or rusted. It happens, and it's better to have that happen and replace them than to ignore the fact that they are all rusted.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 PM

well, i do know how to read. otherwise i would not have replied. and as for the remember part...remember what? how to make an oreo blizzard? i will leave that to you and i would referrence, but i forget what post it is that you wrote what in. you tend to post a lot (remember the counts you gave in the other forum?). i tend to disregard most of them. and as for being a dick....i think you should have used the word penis. it is more correct. now that that is settled, can we talk about you getting all worked up here. i think you need to calm down and relax. heck, go talk it over with one of your lovely, beautiful, great, caring, funny, charismatic and intelligent friends. i am sure that if you let them read the post, that they will give a chuckle and tell you that you need to RELAX. i do have to admit though. you have made me feel great about myself. you are a huge boost to the ego. to think...one post on a forum, and i have gotten you to waste time replying, calling me names, and showing a bit of 110lb. aggression. i like that. good job! keep it coming.

one serious question though:

when are you going to let us have your parents sign that waiver so you can come on some runs with us? we have come to NOT expect you on runs, which is too bad. who else will sink their truck in a small pond and give us those priceless photos?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
look guys, good natured ribbing is fine, but somewhere you have to draw the line. if everytime gangus buys something and someone writes "oh, thats your mommy's money", it gets annoying. some people have to scrape for everything they get, some don't. some people know how to spend wisely, and some spend foolishly without consideration. that's life.

conversely gangus, if you keep writing stupid shizzle, you set yourself up for criticism. advice: think before you write

bob

when are you going to let us have your parents sign that waiver so you can come on some runs with us? we have come to NOT expect you on runs, which is too bad. who else will sink their truck in a small pond and give us those priceless photos?

Get the hint or get out. Simple as that.

Quick Reply: Success!!!