Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Stupid mistake w/ battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid mistake w/ battery

i just replaced tghe battery on my 85' EFI. i wasnt paying much attention as i had some family issue's on the mind. I placed the battery in the reverse the other one was in, then being my dumb self put the terminals on the same post's as normal resulting in a bad situation. Now i have noothing in the runner going...i checked all my fuses and one was blow and i replaced it but i still have no juice any where. what could have happent...? and how much s*%^ will have i have to fix? thanks
Old 09-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

HA HA!!
HA HA!!
Oh, wait, I did that TOO! And after searching for MY post, I see others have as well. We're not the only ones
(Just kidding with the HAHA's, I know how you feel.

Here's what I did:
Replaced the 80 amp fuse, replaced the EFI fuse...still didn't run.
Then a fellow yotatecher (4x4 Lamm) mentioned the two relays high up under the dash. These two have small re-set pins that need to be pushed in to re-set. After that, all was good. I'll have a quick look for my post and put the link here for you (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...verse+polarity). Good luck, all is not lost. You'll be on the road in no time.

Last edited by Blair; 09-10-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:09 AM

Do you think that rsetting those relays was the tickey to gettin mine back working...and did yours have no juice to the cab
Old 09-11-2005, 10:50 AM

I just checked again more closely and i do have an 80 am reply blown. its in the box under the hood. i tried pullin it out but it wouldnt come out...so i didnt pull harder.. but hopfully that will help they this thing running again. where were those fuel replys located?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

The 80 amp is secured by two 8mm bolts. You have to remove the fuse block from the fender, tip it upside down and use a thin wrench to get it out. Make sure the battery is disconnected first.
The relays are located under the dash (2nd gen.) Not sure about 1st gen. but probably the same. You're looking for two round cylinder-type relays that have small reset pins on the face. I'm pretty sure they were the ticket to re-start, as nothing happened until I re-set them.
Did you have any issues with your on-board computer??
Sometimes the fuse doesn't blow fast enough, frying the computer.
Also, my EFI was blown, with NO outward signs.

My process was 'one step at a time', 80 amp, EFI, re-set and then good to go.
Good luck.
PS: The only 'juice' in the cab was the sweat and tears

Last edited by Blair; 09-11-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:33 AM

Alright, thanks very much. I found the replys...i pulled them off but didnt see a reset, but ill recheck them.. how much was that 80 amper?
Old 09-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

It was $27.00 Canadian, so I'd say around $15.00 US.
The relays look like 1" round pots and the have a small pin in the center. Check behind the right kick panel, or high up under the dash. by the firewall. No need to remove them, just push the pins in.They'll pop back out.

Last edited by Blair; 09-11-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:52 PM

thanks, i got the fuse out, im going to try and get one today if not towmororw and get a new battery since mine is under warrenty anyway. Hopefully it pops back to life, ive found 2 relays under the stering wheel on the drivers side, but they do not have any pins in them.. ill keep lookin for something else up in there.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Keep in mind, my issue was with a 2nd gen. Yours may not have these same relays. Don't sweat it until you replace the 80, anyway. You may also need an EFI relay. You'll know, if it cranks, but doesn't fire...the EFI sends the signal to the fuel pump...no EFI = no fuel flow.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:53 PM

Alright, how much was the EFI Fuse... i am actually selling the 4runner on saturday, the man is coming to pick it up so i need to get it back to working order by then hopfully...being hes come from kansas city to illinois/iowa border. I just had the battery off charging it since it sat for a few months and was dead.... im crossing my fingers hopeing the 80 amp fixes it and it charms back to life, im also getting a new battery. Thanks for all your help.... i think i might be able to get it fixed now!
Old 09-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

EFI was about the same...$25 CDN if I recall correctly.
What stage are you at right now?
I'm thinking you've got the 80 amp out, so no power anywhere. This means you have no way to check to see if you need an EFI relay, yes??

You could try this (dangerous advice ahead...) pop the top of the 80 amp and solder or jumper the leads. Pop it back in and try starting. If you get power, but no start, you also need an EFI. Now, remove the jumper (or risk an engine bay fire) and order the parts you need. Might as well order both at the same time. I'm pretty sure you can only get the EFI at the dealer, and it was an overnight delivery, for me anyway, up here in Ontario.

Good luck and feel free to post any questions you have. Most of what I'm sharing with you, I learned right here from other members.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:40 PM

i am so relieved....Blair you have steered me in the complete right direction...after 2.39$ worth of parts my runner is back to her old self!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Glad it worked out! Sometimes it's the simple stuff.
All I passed to you, I learned here. You'll pass it on one day too...WE can't be the only people who would hook a battery up in reverse.

$2.39 was the cost of the 80 amp??
Old 09-14-2005, 06:30 PM

Yeah i went to a local hardware store and it was on 2.39$ i was pleasantly suprised. i also get a new battery as mine was under warrenty....so its all good now
Old 09-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ktmrider37
Yeah i went to a local hardware store and it was on 2.39$ i was pleasantly suprised. i also get a new battery as mine was under warrenty....so its all good now
WOW!. That's for the bolt-in 80 amp??
Can you mail me a couple? Be glad to send you the $$
I paid well over $10.00 for one last year and I want to have a spare on hand.