Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Strange Pulsing Noise From Front End

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Pulsing Noise From Front End

Hey guys,
I have searched and researched this problem for the past few evenings with no positive solutions yet.

I have a noise coming from the front end that sounds like a pulse, not a grind or squeak. It sounds like it's coming from the engine bay, but seems to be suspension related:

-Does not seem to be effected by acceleration or RPMs
- Heard only when going over bumps and imperfections in the road.
-Seems to match the suspension up travel after a bump almost perfectly
-Less intense when going uphill or over bumps at higher speeds

It's odd because I had this noise happen after I got the power steering system flushed (and some other minor front end work) back in March. It started the day after on the way to work but stopped after short highway drive. I just got UCAs installed and the noise came back a little more intense a few days after the truck left the shop.

My thought is that maybe there's grime (I undercoat the truck every fall myself) getting caught between bushings somewhere or even my lift spacers. Truck is very well maintained and my lift was done properly with all extras minus a differential drop. My other thought is something came loose with my newer aftermarket intake, hence the pulsing type noise.

Thoughts?

Last edited by TacoTank; 08-06-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:15 PM

Nobody? Could really use some guidance on this. The noise is now more of a still on the uptravel and happening more frequently.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by a pulse on uptravel, I generally consider a pulse to be a repetitious throbbing kind of sound. If you suspect your power steering and you can duplicate the noise consistently you could try removing your power steering belt and try it again.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Your definition of pulse is spot on. However, it seems to have evolved more into a squeak similar to a worn bushing. (By uptravel I mean after the suspension flexes and is returning to it's normal position.)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:30 PM

have you tried greasing your ball joints and tie rod ends? spray some lube on the control arm bushing and see if anything changes.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Just had new control arms put in with new upper ball joints, lowers we're done about 9 months ago. (Noise was on and off prior to install).

I have tried spraying lube on all bushings up front including the steering rack. Seemed like it dampened the noise for the first few miles then back to it. The new UCA bushings and ball joints are well greased and torqued down correctly. Just tightened up the hood latch, sway bar end links (new with bushings put in four months ago) and radiator support bracket. About to check bumper mounting brackets as well.

Last edited by TacoTank; 08-09-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:12 PM

try pulling your shocks out and test drive it, noise gone?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:30 PM

...You can drive safely without shocks?
Before I attempt that I may have found the culprit. Lightly sprayed the lower control arm bushings with lube. Noise disappeared almost a mile, then slowly came back but is significantly quieter than yesterday. The bushings aren't crumbling but new ones wouldn't hurt. Will report back.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 AM

Appears the noise is the LCA bushings. Sprayed with silicone grease and the noise almost completely goes away. Took it to a shop and they agreed that that is most likely it.