Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering wheel rattle in steering column

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel rattle in steering column

Hey guys,

Here recently I am feeling a rattle in the steering column on the 4Runner. It only happens when I go over small continuous bumps (like RR tracks) or when I go offroading and travel over rocks. I took some time this weekend to look underneath the truck at the steering rag joint and turning it back and forth. I did feel like the rattle was coming from that isolated area. The bolt that connects the rag joint to the steering shaft above was tight as well. My other thought is that it could be the steering rack bushings. Anyone know where I may go from here?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:03 AM

Anyone??
Old 10-09-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had that same or similar problem I think

I have had something similar to this since I got my 2001 SR5 2 years ago when
it had 70K on it....now it has 125k. It has not gotten worse....

It really is a distinct feeling in the steering wheel (akin to metal to metal contact
but no sound) when I go over a "straight" bump like my .75" height differential between
the driveway & the garage floor or something like that on the roads. I believe
mine exhibits only when both front wheels hit a bump precisely at the same time.

Checked out the steering rack bushings (by having someone move the steering but steering rack does not exhibit any movement)....can't see/feel any loose bolts.....

I would also be curious if anyone has had experience with it or the experts have
opinions....
The following users liked this post:
SenorPanda (06-20-2021)
Old 10-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The first and simple way of possibly fixing this would to get new steering rack bushings. Now, I did not notice any change from upgrading them to polyurethane, but, others have. Check out http://www.wheelersoffroad.com as they stock them. They are made by daystar and other companies make them Im sure.

Others also said it was a simple install, yet, I spent a good amount of time burning out my old bushings as they would not break free of the steering rack!!!

Other than that, I too still have a slight wobble, but, I know its because of my lift, and the extensions that have been put on the column.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:52 AM

knock under drivers floor panel 93 runner

noticed a knock, i'm not sure if it is suspention or not. it happens when i go over bumps or on a rough road. it started before i put the lift on it and still does. i can feel it in my feet if i lay them on the floor.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:24 PM

I had a 95 T-100 SR5 and now a 04 tacoma D/C and they both do that..My wifes 05 Corolla does the same also..I think it is something that Toyota's do..I took mine to the shop they found nothing wrong..I wanna say her old tercel did the same..
Old 10-11-2007, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know how much at the dealer to replace steering bushings?

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
The first and simple way of possibly fixing this would to get new steering rack bushings. Now, I did not notice any change from upgrading them to polyurethane, but, others have. Check out http://www.wheelersoffroad.com as they stock them. They are made by daystar and other companies make them Im sure.

Others also said it was a simple install, yet, I spent a good amount of time burning out my old bushings as they would not break free of the steering rack!!!

Other than that, I too still have a slight wobble, but, I know its because of my lift, and the extensions that have been put on the column.

I would do them myself but I do not have a garage any more....I have to find a dealer or a mechanic to do that....I am reluctant to take this job to a mechanic who has never done these before and the dealer will be expensive I presume....
Old 10-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Go over to tacomaterritory.com and search on "steering chatter" or "Steering column chatter".

There's a slip joint in the steering column, allowing the 2 halves to collapse in an accident. The tolerances between the two halves (one slips over the other, i.e. M/F) can increase or be crappy from the factory and you get the clunk or chatter. If you park the rig, try this. Very SLIGHTLY turn the wheel with the truck off but the key in so the steering lock won't engage. You should feel about 1/16-1/8 inch of play where the upper shaft (attached to the steering wheel) is not engaging the lower shaft. To verify this, you can watch under the dash at the firewall where the shaft goes out of the cab. You'll be ever so slightly moving the steering wheel, and the shaft at the firewall will not budge.

So far the only known fix is to pull the column and put 1) a tack weld there, or 2) a roll pin (drill the shaft halves). Either way, you just defeated a key safety feature if you do that. My '04 does it. It's annoying because I spend lots of time on dirt roads, but the shaft is not going to fail or leave you stuck. I have found that tire pressures (31x10.5 Dunlop RV's)

I suppose you COULD pull the shaft and try to shim it with high durometer rubber sheet, or even sheet aluminum to take up the slack, but I have no bothered yet.

Originally Posted by J'S LTD 4RNR
Hey guys,

Here recently I am feeling a rattle in the steering column on the 4Runner. It only happens when I go over small continuous bumps (like RR tracks) or when I go offroading and travel over rocks. I took some time this weekend to look underneath the truck at the steering rag joint and turning it back and forth. I did feel like the rattle was coming from that isolated area. The bolt that connects the rag joint to the steering shaft above was tight as well. My other thought is that it could be the steering rack bushings. Anyone know where I may go from here?

Last edited by obscurotron; 10-12-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RETRO
I had a 95 T-100 SR5 and now a 04 tacoma D/C and they both do that..My wifes 05 Corolla does the same also..I think it is something that Toyota's do..I took mine to the shop they found nothing wrong..I wanna say her old tercel did the same..
My dad's 2005 Chevy Pickup does that too...