Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Steering doesn't re-center??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering doesn't re-center??

So I've neglected my 4Runner over the past year or so and focused my attention on the other toys like the quads and sportbike... But now that winter is glooming on the horizon I've started focusing my paychecks toward to runner so I don't have to deal with it when the weather is less than fun...

It has been shaking and wobbling all over the road. I put on a set of Nitto's yesterday and the shaking is gone I still wanders all over the place. I've been reading and I'm going to replace the steering and sway bar bushing with the poly kits off wheelers next week. I think this will help with alot of it.

My real concern is that it doesn't want to correct itself when turning. I don't know if bad bushings would cause this to happen but I can't just let go of the wheel and have itself re-center after a right or left hand corner. If anyone can steer me in the right direction to start trouble shooting that would be great
Old 09-03-2008, 07:57 AM

I'd jack the front end up and check your suspension. Make sure you don't have any tie rods of ball joints starting to seize. Let me know what you find.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:15 AM

I had both of my outer tie rods replaced a few months ago. It doesn't make any noises or anything. You just have to fight it all the time...
Old 09-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the caster is negative. You want your caster positive, like the forks on a motorcycle. Here's a thread about alignment:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...isited-129325/

Here's more on caster:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caster_angle

The caster angle on our trucks is adjusted with the same LCA cam adjusters that are used to adjust the camber. I've actually had "professional" alignment techs tell me there was no adjustment for the caster. Don't believe them! Do it yourself if you want a good alignment.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-03-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, negative caster was my guess too.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:01 AM

My plan was to get the bushing kits at the end of the week and installed and a 4 wheel alignment on my next day off next week. I shouldn't chew up too much tire running them a little out of whack for a week should I?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozarks_Runner
My plan was to get the bushing kits at the end of the week and installed and a 4 wheel alignment on my next day off next week. I shouldn't chew up too much tire running them a little out of whack for a week should I?
I chewed up a tire in one day, but I did drive 700 miles that day.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Sounds like the caster is negative.

I think you mean camber. I've been around the auto industry a long time and I have never in my life seen a vehicle, at least one that's not wrecked, with negative caster. All vehicles are designed with positive caster. Negative camber is a possibility though.

Last edited by bwhyit; 09-03-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bwhyit
I think you mean camber. I've been around the auto industry a long time and I have never in my life seen a vehicle, at least one that's not wrecked, with negative caster. All vehicles are designed with positive caster. Negative camber is a possibility though.
No I mean caster. Ok... maybe I don't mean negative caster, lets say caster that is not positive enough. It should be at least +1*
Old 09-03-2008, 03:21 PM

So I need an alignment for starters

Question one... Can any shop give me a proper alighment? Like Big-O? or should I just take it to the stealership?

Question two... If I get it aligned tomorrow and install the steering and swaybar bushing kits next week will I have to realign it, or will neither of those affect the alignment?
Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM

Can anyone explain to me how the caster can be changed from the factory setting on a 97 4runner?
While Caster would cause the steering to not recenter, I dont think thats whats going on. My guess is that something is bent or worn out.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:04 PM

ozarks_Runner,
Here's my opinion/suggestion for you.

Get the new bushings and install them BEFORE you get an alignment. The steering bushings should help some. I put them in mine and noticed a difference in handling. For anyone that’s wondering why, I’m saying put the bushings in first to help the shop ensure that the steering wheel is straight. After that, get an alignment. You should be able to take it to any reputable alignment shop. Just make sure you get a 4-wheel alignment. If they'll do it, I'd ask them to set your caster and the highest possible caster angle (positive). This should help keep the vehicle track a little better while driving. (I think this is what goat wanted to say but didn't know how to say it.) Make sure and get a print out of the before and after adjust alignment reading. After you get that post the reading on yotatech and let us take a look at them. There are a few readings (SAI, IA) that will give us an idea is something is bent/damaged.

From there we can give you some direction if the problem is not fixed. You could also have a tire problem but the alignment is the right place to start.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by toyota-erik
Can anyone explain to me how the caster can be changed from the factory setting on a 97 4runner?
While Caster would cause the steering to not recenter, I dont think thats whats going on. My guess is that something is bent or worn out.
Your right, it shouldn't change unless something is bent or WORN. It doesn't however have to be worn out to cause a problem. You could have a worn bushing or b-joint on one side that would cause a vehicle stability problem. You could also have something with minor damage that doesn't necessarily need to be replaced that would require alignment.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

It can be changed while adjusting the camber. This link tries to explain it, if its not clear enough I'll go into more details.

http://www.sdori.com/SDORI_Alignment.htm

Basicly the lower control arm (LCA) pivot points can be adjusted in and out, that adjusts the camber and caster. If you adjust the rear pivot point "out" and/or the front pivot point "in" you will increase the caster angle.

But I agree, if this guy has been "shaking and wobbling all over the road" there is probably more going on than just an alignment issue.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-04-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats a really good link...

I would mark all the camber/caster ecentrics with say touch up paint,So after you make your adjustments you could bring them back to where they were...same w/toe paint the tie rod ends,so you can keep track of how far to move each side,ect.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 97ltd4x4
Thats a really good link...

I would mark all the camber/caster ecentrics with say touch up paint,So after you make your adjustments you could bring them back to where they were...same w/toe paint the tie rod ends,so you can keep track of how far to move each side,ect.
Good idea about the marks, I'm finding a little cam movement goes a long way.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
It can be changed while adjusting the camber. This link tries to explain it, if its not clear enough I'll go into more details.
I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. In fact, you kind of made it for for me.
Someone hears a story about, or sees a web page explaining that castor is the reason your steering wheel comes back to center when you let go of it and the vehicle is moving.
So...someone posts up that their steering wheel suddenly wont come back to center and the peanut gallery responds that it must be caused by a castor problem without understanding what castor really is and its purpose or what can cause it to change. I do happen to know a little something about castor, among other things. Im not saying that you dont, Im just saying...instead of just throwing something out there, explain what personal experience lead you to your answer instead of regurgitating a website.
What I meant to ask was... How can castor be changed accidently? If the castor is out of wack then chances are that there is significant damage to something or something wasnt installed properly.

Although, I had this happen to me once (steering wheel not returning to center) and all it ended up being, was a bent steering stabilizer.

Start with the easy stuff first.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

How can castor be changed accidently?
It's 2 bolts that hold it in adjustment, what makes you think it it can't get out of adjustment. Lots of us wheel our trucks hard and alignments get out of adjustment just doing a trail or two. Things get bent, bushings blow, ball joints fail. I can provide more "personal experence" in this matter upon request.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-04-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM

I think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. In fact, you kind of made it for for me.
Someone hears a story about, or sees a web page explaining that castor is the reason your steering wheel comes back to center when you let go of it and the vehicle is moving.
So...someone posts up that their steering wheel suddenly wont come back to center and the peanut gallery responds that it must be caused by a castor problem without understanding what castor really is and its purpose or what can cause it to change. I do happen to know a little something about castor, among other things. Im not saying that you dont, Im just saying...instead of just throwing something out there, explain what personal experience lead you to your answer instead of regurgitating a website.
What I meant to ask was... How can castor be changed accidently? If the castor is out of wack then chances are that there is significant damage to something or something wasnt installed properly.

Although, I had this happen to me once (steering wheel not returning to center) and all it ended up being, was a bent steering stabilizer.

Start with the easy stuff first.
This is the exact point I was responding to you earlier.

You also make a great point about starting with the simple stuff first.

I agree, so many people read a 1 pager on wiki or google and suddenly they're an expert on the subject. People need to stick to what they have personal experience with and not what they read on the internet. You won't find me giving advise on lift options of suggestions on how to SAS for your rig. Why? Because I have no experience with either and there are plenty of others in Yotatech that can give some GOOD advice.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bwhyit
This is the exact point I was responding to you earlier.

You also make a great point about starting with the simple stuff first.

I agree, so many people read a 1 pager on wiki or google and suddenly they're an expert on the subject. People need to stick to what they have personal experience with and not what they read on the internet. You won't find me giving advise on lift options of suggestions on how to SAS for your rig. Why? Because I have no experience with either and there are plenty of others in Yotatech that can give some GOOD advice.
Just for the record I have done my own alignment using that site for help, I didn't just read it, I DID IT.

Quick Reply: Steering doesn't re-center??