Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SR5 fender flare questions

Old 06-17-2006, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
SR5 fender flare questions

After 5 years of ownership, I finally pulled off two of the stock rubber/aluminum fender opening trim pieces. I've wanted to do this each year in order to clean behind them. Well, I really should have. The pieces were packed with dirt and grit and the profile of the 'flare' had worn a faint mark into the fender from normal movement over the years. As soon as I saw the amount oif moist dirt that had accumulated, I made the decision to leave these off permanently. I managed to make the wear marks almost disappear with some cleaning and polishing, but they are still visible.

The fact is, these 'flares' are not going on again. I intend to keep the truck for many more years and have no desire to see rust forming behind these pieces. So the question is: do the slim, black plastic SR5 flares mount using the existing holes and adhesive? I'm thinking of the very low profile black textured ones that I've seen on a few SR5 models. Not the Limited flares, nor the semi-Limited SR5 flares.

I've searched and found nothing. At the moment, the truck looks newer. I'm not sure what it is - maybe the aluminum strip inside the 'flare' was starting to look dated

The truck as it looked a few days ago:

Name:  Revorear.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  97.6 KB

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 06-17-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just repaired mine after discovering the same yet worse conditions when repairing my antenna. I found that mine weren't trimmed correctly (cut to fit the contour) and rubbed aggressively at some spots. I adjusted the fit and then went with the tacoma gasket mod that is mentioned on the board. I had no choice but to put them back on becuse of the paint damage.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure if the slim SR5 flares fit in the same holes but I know the slim ones don't use adhesive. Just an FYI, these flares are not that cheap and you'd probably be better off buying some bushwackers for the same price.

I personally like the look of your flares better than the slim ones. I have the slim ones and have been wanting to upgrade to the beefier ones but have just been too cheap to bite the bullet.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

From what I understand, the Bushwacker 'Street Flares' require drilling. The larger "Extend-A-Fender" ones mount using the factory screws.

Problem is - I have no desire of drilling into the vulnerable fender lip, nor do I like the look of the larger flares.

For now, the naked look, looks interesting. Certainly makes my 275/70 Revos appear larger

Andreas
Old 06-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Not what I heard on the bushwackers but I could be wrong. I thought both did not require drilling.

To answer your first post, the SR5 slim flares do not require screws into the face of the fender rather underneath the fender. I think the holes you're trying to cover up are on the face of the fender?

Also, could you take pics of the flares and where the damage was? I and many others may be interested in your flares if you don't put them back on.

Last edited by ebelen1; 06-17-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Edwin,
Thanks for the followup. My truck has no holes visible on the front fenders or on the rear quarters. My 'flares' were simply fastened with a series of screws that threaded into plastic inserts. I'm not even sure I would call mine 'flares', as they are more like glorified fender trim pieces.

Either way, the truck looks much cleaner without, but I do like the thought of some ding protection. 108,000 miles and only one minor door ding low on the driver's door. From 10 feet, the truck looks almost as nice as the day I bought it new in 2001.

So if I were to add flares to it, they would need to be rather low-profile in shape and require no additional holes to be drilled. I'm just not sure who makes flares for these, other than Bushwacker, Xenon, & Peformance.

Andreas
Old 06-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Here is the look I like, but I think these require you to go with the integrated 'splash guards'. I've been using a set of Tacoma 4WD front flaps for nearly 5 years and swear by them. Zero rocker sill chipping after all these miles.

This is calg3's truck (thank you Chris... )

Andreas
Old 06-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Andreas,

Those are definitely the slim SR5 flares. I have the same ones.

As far as the front mud flaps go, they're very good, have the OEM finish as they match right up to the front flares, and protect your rocker panels. Not to mention, they match the rear mud flaps to give you a consistent look.

Here's a pic of mine:

Name:  DSC00593.jpg
Views: 5705
Size:  50.4 KB
Old 06-17-2006, 09:01 PM

where do you buy them from?

where do you buy them from? does bushwacker make them?..
Old 06-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drizzay
where do you buy them from? does bushwacker make them?..
The ones I have are OEM but bushwackers also make a "street" flare that's pretty much the same thing.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by aowRS
After 5 years of ownership, I finally pulled off two of the stock rubber/aluminum fender opening trim pieces. I've wanted to do this each year in order to clean behind them. Well, I really should have. The pieces were packed with dirt and grit and the profile of the 'flare' had worn a faint mark into the fender from normal movement over the years. As soon as I saw the amount oif moist dirt that had accumulated, I made the decision to leave these off permanently. I managed to make the wear marks almost disappear with some cleaning and polishing, but they are still visible.

The fact is, these 'flares' are not going on again. I intend to keep the truck for many more years and have no desire to see rust forming behind these pieces. So the question is: do the slim, black plastic SR5 flares mount using the existing holes and adhesive? I'm thinking of the very low profile black textured ones that I've seen on a few SR5 models. Not the Limited flares, nor the semi-Limited SR5 flares.

I've searched and found nothing. At the moment, the truck looks newer. I'm not sure what it is - maybe the aluminum strip inside the 'flare' was starting to look dated

The truck as it looked a few days ago:

Andreas
Is that picture what your 4runner looked like with the dirt? I have those same little things around the fender. Do i need to take them off and check for damage?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

I just found my flares/fender trim while cleaning shop. If anyone has a need for them, let me know. They're yours for the cost of shipping.

The flares are in good shape. Amazingly, a new set is close to $300 - even through Toyota of Grapevine!

Andreas
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 PM

are they flares or the trim? if they are the actual flares i will take them, otherwise i have no use
Old 04-06-2007, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

They are the parts shown in my picture. I already received a PM asking for these. If that falls through, they're yours.

Andreas
Old 04-06-2007, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Andreas,

Those are definitely the slim SR5 flares. I have the same ones.

As far as the front mud flaps go, they're very good, have the OEM finish as they match right up to the front flares, and protect your rocker panels. Not to mention, they match the rear mud flaps to give you a consistent look.

Here's a pic of mine:

MY GOD! your truck looks really hot!
Old 04-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

The Bushwacker Extend-a-flare are similar to the Limited wider flares but are about a half inch slimmer which IMO looks a little better. I had a set on my '97 which I painted and then added a cheap set of simple mudflaps from Pep Boys.
The flares use the existing holes but for the piece that fits on the rear door does require 4 small holes to be drilled to fit the bracket that holds the front rear wheel piece on the door.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:50 AM

anyone know if those rubber/aluminum fender trim peices off a 4 runner will fit on a tacoma?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by natedfree
anyone know if those rubber/aluminum fender trim peices off a 4 runner will fit on a tacoma?
I'm pretty certain the wheel wells are quite different.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

The flares are still available. First one to respond gets them for the cost of shipping.

Andreas
Old 04-10-2007, 04:02 AM

how much for shipping to 35209 (AL) i might be callin dibbs here

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SR5 fender flare questions