Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Spring identification

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring identification

Hey, once again. Ever since I got my truck last year, it has been an inch or two lower (all around) than other 4runner's that belong to friends/coworkers with similar wear/mileage. Even with my subs out, it's lower than normal. I'm thinking maybe the previous owner may have put in some lowering springs. No more than an inch I would suppose.

My question is: How can I tell if these springs are stock or not? Are they clearly marked. Also, my springs, shocks, part of the undercarriage and fenderwells have been painted black (some w/ undercoating, some paint) so any aftermarket color scheme wouldn't show.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:38 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gapguy
Hey, once again. Ever since I got my truck last year, it has been an inch or two lower (all around) than other 4runner's that belong to friends/coworkers with similar wear/mileage. Even with my subs out, it's lower than normal. I'm thinking maybe the previous owner may have put in some lowering springs. No more than an inch I would suppose.

My question is: How can I tell if these springs are stock or not? Are they clearly marked. Also, my springs, shocks, part of the undercarriage and fenderwells have been painted black (some w/ undercoating, some paint) so any aftermarket color scheme wouldn't show.
From memory the front ones had red and blue painted on bands around the spring from the factory, atleast it did on my 96 but worth a peek. They may have gotten 1" lowering springs from like performace products.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WT
From memory the front ones had red and blue painted on bands around the spring from the factory, atleast it did on my 96 but worth a peek. They may have gotten 1" lowering springs from like performace products.
Ok so my fronts have red marks on them. My rears on the other hand are MUCH thinner of a spring, and I'm betting they ARE indeed lowering springs. However, the spring recall was done in 2002, so that must mean that the lowering springs were slapped on after then and before 9/03 when I got it. Or maybe my springs are seriously worn out, but I can't see it that severe.

Anybody wanna donate to the "Poor White Boy In Need Of An OME Lift" foundation" We DO take paypal!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:33 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gapguy
Ok so my fronts have red marks on them. My rears on the other hand are MUCH thinner of a spring, and I'm betting they ARE indeed lowering springs. However, the spring recall was done in 2002, so that must mean that the lowering springs were slapped on after then and before 9/03 when I got it. Or maybe my springs are seriously worn out, but I can't see it that severe.

Anybody wanna donate to the "Poor White Boy In Need Of An OME Lift" foundation" We DO take paypal!
free lift money sounds good
Actually I had them do my recall springs after a while and I say they are lower than the originals cause after I had it done it looked like it was lower in the rear and leaning to one side. So I just tossed on a lift and BAM problem solved. Actually I got them to do it twice since I noticed the saggy back and this time double checked all the part # and they matched the TSB so I still think the 96-early 97 had slightly longer springs up front than some of the other 3rd gens. So I honestly think you have the factory ones in the rear too just that they are shorter than the orginals. Oh by the way do they have the inner rubber cone inside the rear springs ? I have heard of some people having the recall done and the stealer forgot to order them, so they didn't get them installed it would add maybe 1/2 " of lift since it sits on top of the spring.