Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

!!Speedy's Supercharger Thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea that is pretty darn cool thats how the smt7 does things Only thing that really sucks is you cant view where you are as far as AFR goes on the smt7...they prob did that on purpose so you would have to buy there wideband control unit.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koda4
Speedy, there is a company planning to make a box that works directed with INNOVATE'S wide band gauge.
Check out the news letter on the Innovate web site.
I do not know what vehicles they plan on making it work with.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/r...s/news16.php#B

Its called Close Loop with Dobeck Performance.
It sounds like you can tell it what AFR you want in closed loop and open loop and works with Innovate's wide band product.
Hmmm... so, digging through the links from Innovate and Dobeck, you finally get to here:

http://www.powercardtuning.com/produ...pro/index.aspx

and here (for NA engines):
http://www.powercardtuning.com/produ...eIndexID=53133

If you keep digging around, you find that you CAN buy the _Powercard_ today:
http://www.supercharger.com/Shop/Vie...eIndexID=52253

but it looks like Innovate is waiting on the Powercard Pro.

One HUGE thing to note, not that it'll come as a surprise...
Please note: This product is not emissions legal or CARB approved.

Now, taking a stand back from all this, given ALL the time and money that we've spent on piggybacks, you guys all realize that we could have had a nice stand-alone engine management system. Right? AEM, Motec, heck... we could have applied the headache stress to getting a cheap GoTech loaded up!

Interesting that this "is coming", but I'm closer than ever to ditching all this piggyback black magic and going stand-alone.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 AM

Okay all... Get out your spark plug sockets and pull your plugs.

SCRAP the concept of running a .040-044" gap, you'll find MUCH better response and MORE power running a 1/100 of an inch SMALLER. Greedy and I have been playing a bit behind your backs, and after this weekend we're both walking around with HUGE smiles running IK22's gapped to .030-.032".

Why? It's the chemistry of what's happening in the cylinder as you boost the air flow. You're increasing the amount of nitrogen in the air/fuel mixture which is doing all it can to STOP the spark from happening. That means that _with a stock ignition system_ you'll want to run a smaller gap in order to get that mixture to reliably ignite.

On top of it, Gregg's reporting a 3mpg INCREASE in gas mileage after a long trip, AND less soot in his tailpipe. Gregg's move was also from dual electrode plugs to IK22's, so that may have something to do with the mileage. I don't have a lot of runtime on mine yet to comment, but I smell a lot less fuel in the exhaust.

Oh, and there's potentially another radical change (in terms of what's commonly thought)... But I'll need a few more days to gather data. {tease!}

Last edited by midiwall; 05-29-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:27 PM

nice nice good find guys...i will have to check that out for sure...i gapped mine to .036" last time.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:32 PM

I would suggest that even .036" is too much. I'm really floored by the difference in 1/100th of an inch. I would never have thunk it.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 PM

For what its wourth - I was going over the install instructions for the TRD 7th injector and they say to gap the plugs (IK20's) to 0.032"

Mark - saw you taking off from a light down by QFC - i was a ways away, but your rig sounded pretty badass taking off!

Last edited by jimbob; 05-29-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jimbob
For what its wourth - I was going over the install instructions for the TRD 7th injector and they say to gap the plugs (IK20's) to 0.032"
Interesting... I don't think I ever bothered to look. Mr. URD (and others) has always touted .04x...

Mark - saw you taking off from a light down by QFC - i was a ways away, but your rig sounded pretty badass taking off!
heh... I wish it ran as well as it sounded.

One of these days you gotta stop me so I know who you are. I'm a bit nervous.

Last edited by midiwall; 05-30-2007 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
Interesting... I don;'t think I ever bothered to look. Mr. URD (and others) has always touted .04x...
This is interesting, I wonder what Gadget's reasoning was for that. So the smaller .032 gap works better? Any draw backs, like pinging or something?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
So the smaller .032 gap works better?
Yeup. WORLDS of difference.

Any draw backs, like pinging or something?
Not that Gregg or I have noticed yet. He's got about 10 hours of driving on the new gap, I've got about 3. Time will tell, but the difference is IMMEDIATE as you pull away from the house after doing it.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:30 AM

No detontation that I have noticed yet - and I was pulling long, pretty steep grades on the north cascades highway this weekend. Also, I am able to run 12 lbs on a gap of .034 without blowing out the spark.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:20 AM

ugh i just looked at mine....time for new spark plugs!

dang i cant wait to get my s/c back on there!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Yeup. WORLDS of difference.

Not that Gregg or I have noticed yet. He's got about 10 hours of driving on the new gap, I've got about 3. Time will tell, but the difference is IMMEDIATE as you pull away from the house after doing it.
Hmm, I'm going to have to pull my plugs... I think I'm running stock right now (.043 IIRC).

Any help in smoothing out the idle?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Greedy
... I am able to run 12 lbs on a gap of .034 without blowing out the spark.
What's the first sign you have of that happening?
Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 AM

Stumbiling, "soft" sounding misfires. Only happened at WOT above 8 lbs - But I am sure that even below those boost pressures, there was a negative impact on the plugs ability to light the mixture quickly and evenly. I have alot more "snappy" part throttle response now.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Greedy
Stumbiling, "soft" sounding misfires. Only happened at WOT above 8 lbs - But I am sure that even below those boost pressures, there was a negative impact on the plugs ability to light the mixture quickly and evenly. I have a lot more "snappy" part throttle response now.
Yeup... what he said.

I had a weird drop-out around 3500rpm under moderate load, like a gentle passing on the highway after the tranny drops a gear. The RPMs would come up, then the engine would just sag like it flooded. This happened on a dyno 2 weeks ago as well.

That's gone... Now, this has been "gone" before, but it's feeling different this time. I'll know for sure in 100 miles or so.

Originally Posted by mastacox
Any help in smoothing out the idle?
YES. Something else; I said above that you'd feel the difference as you pull away from your house - UPDATE! I noticed this morning that it happens even earlier. I thought it was a coincidence, but my truck is DEFINITELY starting easier.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 AM

[short hijack]
JOHNNY! you have a text message and email at the s2s address
[/short hijack]
Old 05-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

YES. Something else; I said above that you'd feel the difference as you pull away from your house - UPDATE! I noticed this morning that it happens even earlier. I thought it was a coincidence, but my truck is DEFINITELY starting easier.
Awesome results for just narrowing the spark gap... I'm definitely going to have to do this now
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 AM

Bob from TRD told me to run .032 as well on the plugs. He also said to use a 30% Glycol 70% water mix with Water Wetter as well as a 160 degree thermostat.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:11 AM

I've been reading up on the SMT7 and found this info:

LAMBDA TUNING
If your engine is closed loop controlled by a narrow band lambda sensor, then you can tune it. Changing the ECU target to a more economical or to a more powerful setting does this. You can also tune WIDE BAND closed loop, but you can?t see the AFR directly. However, you will feel the effect!

From here: http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt7.asp

What does it mean by "you can't see teh AFR directly?" That's a concern as I'd think you'd want to be able to see the AFR, unless they're saying the SMT7 doesn't have an AFR gauge, and you'll need one as an add-on?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Yea the smt7 is good for that

You cant read means it will target the afr you select but you cant read what afr you are at....I personally think they did this because they want you to buy the wideband kit as well Annoying...but if you have a bi-polar cam trigger you cant run the smt7 i think 00+ have them...

Quick Reply: !!Speedy's Supercharger Thread!!