Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Something "grabs" when cold...

Old 12-31-2004, 07:21 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something "grabs" when cold...

When it began to get colder (below freezing), I began to experience this problem:

I'd start the car, put it in drive, release the brake pedal and the car doesn't move as if the brakes are grabbing. A little gas results in a "breaking away" with a noticeable bang or clunk. When it happens (before breaking it free), I can put it in reverse and it rolls freely. It'll also intermittently grab as I come to a stop (about the last 1/2 mph before stopping).

I had the dealership inspect the brakes and they were fine. I have 76k miles and have yet to change the tranny, transfer case or rear axle fluids. Can it be a sluggish brake cylinder? Bearings? Any ideas?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Did they check the rear brakes? I had that problem and it was the rear axle seal leaking and making the brakes stick.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:45 AM

This is interesting because this has been happening on my 97 4runner that last couple of weeks. I had the driver side axle seal replaced several months ago and it hasn't leaked since. I was the passenger side rear drum that I noticed was sticking. I took in to have it checked out and they didn't find anything. It didn't once more the other morning and has not done it for 2 weeks now, so I am hoping it fixed it self. It's weird that it only happens when cold.

I wish I could give you an answer, but I can't seem to figure it out either. I had the tranny check also, but that was working fine.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Same thing with my '02 with just under 30k miles.
I parked one night in work and it was very cold out that night. I use the parking brake as force of habit. I go to pull out at the end of the shift and heard the same clunk and the 'grabbing". I was playing with it and I noticed some slack in the handbrake. Get to the toll booth and it was gone. I was just under the impression that the brakes froze or something. I haven't used the parking brake since and I have had no problems.
What could that be? Just stuck from a little condensation freezing them to the drum?
Old 12-31-2004, 11:47 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
It was in the 40's today and it didn't grab at first like I described above but it DID do it at the next stop, although not as hard of a grab (barely perceptible). And it really seems like my low speed rolling resistance is higher (I DID get new tires at the same time it began to occur but I never had THAT much change in rolling resistance w/new tires).

I'm confused as to why it seems to be noticeable with forward motion only.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:44 PM

rear shoes are freezing to the drums.i had to quit using p/b. Shoes still touch the drum slightly even without p/brake.No room for ice and shoes.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:12 PM

Same thing happening here EXACTLY. I had my Taco down the snow, and its REALLY snowy out right now. I parked for a few hours, and then started up and headed home. When I was stopping, the ABS would click in, but my right rear tire would stay locked and the back would start to fishtail. And, when I was at a stop and moving again, the rear wheel would stay locked and then I'd here a moderate bang and it would start moving again. Scared the CRAP outta me.

I recently took apart my axel to look for a leaky rear seal, but there was none. I'll pull the drum off again and see if its still dry in side (no gear oil).

I *really* hope this doesn't happen again, its scary!

What can I do to adjust the system correctly so this doesn't happen? Any ideas anyone?
Old 01-01-2005, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TahoeEd...Just for an experiment, buy some spray brake cleaner and when you pull it apart this time, spray everything clean. I'm wondering if the dust is getting damp and causing the brakes to freeze or stick.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:32 AM

I have had this same problem as of late... but it has not happened when it has been below freezing or cold enough to freeze. For instance, it happened last night and it was in the mid 60's. I have come to believe that it is caused by the camming force that is put onto the drums from the small amounts of play in the transmission. The reason that I say this is that I tried parking using blocks to hold the vehicle still and and then applying the parking break, thus setting the parking break with out putting the entire weight of the vehicle into the break pads and drum connection. Also I noticed that the problem does not occur if i am parked on an Uphill incline only downhill.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:38 PM

I just pulled apart my back wheel, and cleaned everything up. There was some grease-gunk around the inside edge of the drum, and all that cleaned out nicely with brake cleaner. I also cleaned off the whole brake assembly and shoe surfaces.

I took it out for a test drive on the snowy roads, and of the 10+ times I engaged up the ABS, twice it still locked that back rear wheel. It started rolling as soon as I moved forward, which was better than before. I think the freezing temps is a red herring. I bet the core issue is something else, but the symptoms are more prevalent when the roads are slick--with ice & snow.

AFAIK, everything was fine before I pulled the rear axel to check the seal. I didn't see any gear oil per se, but maybe I'm expecting too much. Also, the truck was garaged before my test, so I'm pretty sure freezing isn't the issue.

Maybe idotmyi is onto something, but at this point I still have a problem with no idea where to go next. If I can't fix it tomorrow, I'll have to take it into a shop and plead for help.

Another update (I just went for another test drive). I did a little googling on "drum brake grab", and there were a lot of references to slack, play, clearances--similar to idotmyi's post. I remember when I pulled the stuff apart the first time I rolled the little dial wheel on the brake cylinder back several clicks. I thought it was self-adjusting, and would be back to its appropriate tolerance a 1/2 mile down the road. I pulled the drum off, click the wheel by pushing the e-brake level, and test-fit with the drum. I got around 15 clicks of the wheel before the drum was snug to put back on.

On the test drive, that wheel didn't grab. So, I think a combo of everything (contaminated shoes/rotor, cold, slack, icy roads) all made the situation apparent.

Also, I noticed that when the truck was ALMOST stopped (seriously, like 1mph), both rear wheels would lock and the back would slide a little bit. I didn't have this problem AT ALL on maybe 15 stops from 15-20mph. That makes me wonder if the proportioning valve is set correctly--so time to do more googling!

Last edited by TahoeEd; 01-01-2005 at 03:35 PM.