Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Some Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some Suspension Questions

I am new to the Toyota offroading world having just bought my 94 4runner a month ago. I couldn't resist the price was right and it has a fresh crate motor that was installed by the dealer 5k miles ago. I need to tow a boat and a utilitytrailer so I am concerned about the sagging rear suspension. I have also been bitten by the offroading bug so some addition performance would be nice. After some research online (Mostly at Corey Tando's site) It seems that the Downey 1.5 inch heavy duty springs are the way to go. One thing that I am not sure about it the shocks. All 4 of my shocks are well worn with over a 170k miles on them. I have seen both good things about the new Edlebrock shocks and Bilstein units. The price is about the same so I am not to sure which one has the advantage. I don't need a lot of offroad performance but I do need load handling and onroad performance. So if anyone has some personal experiance or some tips to help I would really appreciate there wisdom

Thanks
Scott
Old 05-15-2004, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same springs a Corey, the 1.5" Downey's. I love em, They make a world of difference in looks and performance for hualing/towing. As for shocks I don't know much about different kinds but stock length works fine with the springs but if you want more flex then longer ones are needed.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:26 PM

I think it's more cost effective to put air shocks in back to raise the sagging rear stock springs back up to normal height. Then that also gives you the ability to adjust the rear air shocks for towing. From my own experience you'll probably be more satisfied with the air shocks than the replacement rear springs.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:49 AM

You could also get some Air Lift bags they'll lift the rear a bit (depending on how much air you put in 'em) and when towing you can adjust them for the best ride. And they're pretty cheap too (under $100)
Old 05-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't screw around with air. Just get the Downey HD coils and you'll be fine. I've loaded my Runner to the hilt and pulled a light trailer before and have never got the rear end to squat at all. Make sure and get the HD ones though because they make some standard ones as well. I went with the Bilstein shocks. I told them what I was doing and they sent me the shocks. Not sure if they are longer than stock length or not. You don't need longer ones unless you plan on lifting even more. I would get this mod done ASAP it was one of my favorites. I can't stand some of the SAGGY A$$ Runners I see. I don't know how the owners can stand it. I saw one the other day that was so bad I think his 31's were about rubbing in the fender wells. Be sure and check out the tech write ups section when you get ready I did a pretty thorough write up with pics. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Get the Downey HD coils.
I hate to say it, but Toyota screwed up with the rear springs on the 2nd gen 4Runners, they should never ever have left the factory with the stock springs.

Every day on my way to and from work I see over 20 2nd gens, they are everywhere here in WA. state.
And most of them are sagging badly.

Like Joey said, you can cram the rear with gear and not sag.
I have around 300 lb or more of cargo in the back with no sag.

Airshocks will probably make it ride rough when you blow them up.
To cure it correctly, you need to ditch the defective coils.

Stock length shocks are fine, as my Edelbrocks are stock.
No problemo on trails with them.

PS, welcome to the forum.