Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Soft top?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft top?

Ok..Im sure you heard this question before but, I destroyed my back window today trying to put it back on track and I was wandering, (since its summer) maybey Ill just take the whole top off and replace it with a resonable soft top. Any one know where I can find a good soft top thats not going to cost an arm and a leg? Ill replace the window this fall. thanx bryan
Old 04-24-2004, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by newjerseyredneck
Ok..Im sure you heard this question before but, I destroyed my back window today trying to put it back on track and I was wandering, (since its summer) maybey Ill just take the whole top off and replace it with a resonable soft top. Any one know where I can find a good soft top thats not going to cost an arm and a leg? Ill replace the window this fall. thanx bryan

Assuming you have a 1st gen, definately get one. The ones they made 10+ years ago are wicked hard to find. I saw one on eBay a few years ago, that had lots of bids on it. It went for ~$200. I had one on my 89 4R. After the weather got consistenly above 50 degrees(mid-May), I never had my hardtop on. Ahh, the freedom of taking the top of whenever you feel like. No more need to find a friend to help remove the top.

There are a couple drawbacks. Mainly, lack of security. I took out the seat directly behind the driver's and built a speaker/ lockable-storage box. Also, the tracks that hold the the snaps require a lot of drilling in into the body. Additionaly, you have to keep a keen eye on the weather at all times. Many times did I haul a$$ to the parking lot. I think 1 min 30 seconds was my best time. It does take up some room in the back too. No easy way to store that thing. The vinyl doesn't like cold either. Don't get me wrong, these are only slight annoyances.

One last thing, the design is poor. It kind of just floats on the frame. It has two rods that sit in two holes in the uppder part of the frame behind the driver's cabin, which sit in a large U-section of tubing. This tubing links (by a metal bracket) with another large section of 1/2" U-tube near the rollbar. Very flimsy set up. I installed the cover, attached the back section of tubing, pushed the brackets back, and drilled holes to slide bolts into. By doing this you eliminate the rods and front section of tubing.

Hope you didn't fall asleep. If you have any questions, holla.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by WraunVT
Assuming you have a 1st gen, definately get one. The ones they made 10+ years ago are wicked hard to find. I saw one on eBay a few years ago, that had lots of bids on it. It went for ~$200. I had one on my 89 4R. After the weather got consistenly above 50 degrees(mid-May), I never had my hardtop on. Ahh, the freedom of taking the top of whenever you feel like. No more need to find a friend to help remove the top.

There are a couple drawbacks. Mainly, lack of security. I took out the seat directly behind the driver's and built a speaker/ lockable-storage box. Also, the tracks that hold the the snaps require a lot of drilling in into the body. Additionaly, you have to keep a keen eye on the weather at all times. Many times did I haul a$$ to the parking lot. I think 1 min 30 seconds was my best time. It does take up some room in the back too. No easy way to store that thing. The vinyl doesn't like cold either. Don't get me wrong, these are only slight annoyances.

One last thing, the design is poor. It kind of just floats on the frame. It has two rods that sit in two holes in the uppder part of the frame behind the driver's cabin, which sit in a large U-section of tubing. This tubing links (by a metal bracket) with another large section of 1/2" U-tube near the rollbar. Very flimsy set up. I installed the cover, attached the back section of tubing, pushed the brackets back, and drilled holes to slide bolts into. By doing this you eliminate the rods and front section of tubing.

Hope you didn't fall asleep. If you have any questions, holla.
Whats the best most resonable brand. thanx bryan
Old 04-24-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple of years ago Downey Offroad was selling Kayline softops for the 4Runners. I remeber hearing that Kayline got bought out or something. I am not sure if Downey still sells them. Here is the link.
Linky
Old 04-24-2004, 01:37 PM

i've been looking for a soft top for mine as well....having the same problem as you..cant find where they sell these
Old 04-24-2004, 08:32 PM

Hey guys ... thanks alot for the info. I'll keep an eye out for one. Might be cheaper just to buy the rear window! haha Have a great weekend! Bry