Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

smells up hill problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smells up hill problem

Hey all, just wondering if any of you out there have had this problem. First off its a 91 4runner, w/ the 3.0, 5-speed, bone stock. The problem is this: when i am accelerating uphill (havent noticed it going downhill or level yet) in 4th or 5th gears only, i get a horrendous smell when i get close to 4k RPMs. I'd say it does it about 95% of the time in 4th, and about 35% of the time in 5th. Smells like somebody ate REALLY bad mexican (and no its not me) and let one rip. The smell lasts for all of maybe five seconds, and then is completely gone. Does it with all grades of gas (i thought maybe i just gote some ˟˟˟˟ey gas, but it happens with gas from every store in the area). Anybody know what this could be? thanks for all the help!
Old 05-19-2004, 07:12 AM

bad cat. converter is all i can think of...
Old 05-19-2004, 07:42 AM

Rotten eggs is the trademark smell of a bad cat. I would have to agree w/ kford.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:55 AM

I think your catalytic converter is bad, just like the others mentioned. There is really nothing else in there to make that smell (unless you have a skunk inside your vehicle, but then it would smell all the time ) Incidentally, on mine 1990 I get similar smell maybe once a month. Not enough to do anything about it yet. On yours though, sounds like it is time to replace it. You could also drive it and just hold your breath going uphill
Old 05-19-2004, 08:12 AM

Many Toyotas are known to do this even when the cat is new. There have been a few threads about this problem and the ussual problem is the type of gas that you are using. Mine has the same problem when I use gas from Texaco. I have been using gas from Amaco and the smell has been gone.

Did you fill up somewhere different lately or did the station change companies? If so I bet this is your problem.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

I thought the newer cats didn't give that smell, thought it was only the old ones with beads in them. Could it be your clutch starting to slip, since it happens going uphill and in higher gears.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:13 AM

I remember a few 4th gen owners complaining about the smell about 6 months ago.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:08 PM

My friends 88 4Runner 3.0 Auto does the same thing. If it reves up to ~4 rpms or higher it excretes an horrible smell. I always thought it was funny and was characteristic to just his truck. I guess it is a common thing. I haven't noticed it with my truck.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:23 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
The catalytic converter does not have to be bad. If it's working fine and you get a buttload of hydrocarbons (like when mashing the pedal going up a hill) the cat will convert it and give of that smell. Always, no matter what year and what fuel. The newest cars on the road don't smell so bad anymore because they burn a lot cleaner to begin with, but "rotten egg" smell is normal and proper for a catalytic converter. Shut the rear window and you won't smell it.... Cats should be good for 200k if the engine has been kept in reasonable tune.

Clutch slip smells entirely different. It smells like burnt brakes (it's the same thing.)
Old 05-19-2004, 04:19 PM

Here is anoughter thread which discussed the same thing.

Thread
Old 05-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

I remember like a 5 page thread long time ago about whether or not it was safe to drive with the backwindow down because of the "smell". For the record mine stinks too when I mash it and the back window is cracked.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

My 97 stinks too once in a while. A while back the cat was inspected, no issues. It's just excessive throttle!

About the fuel brand: Ther is NO FRIKIN way I'm searching around town (or the country) for a non-stinky brand of gas. I'd go insane!
Old 05-19-2004, 10:09 PM

so is it just the stock cats that do this, or would aftermarket ones do it as well? whenever the bank account goes up (gotta replace the steering box right now) i might investigate going with a free-flow cat or something. Would this solve the problem?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:41 PM

Well, you can save your money because I got a new free flow cat on mine and it still stinks every now and then.

You know something, this problem is kinda funny in a way. I remember riding with my dad in my truck one time. When we got into the driveway, I drove up feathering the clutch and reving the engine a little to get up the slight incline. He then looks at me and says "Did you let one or something?" I replied "No, why?" He says "There's a stinky smell coming from inside the cab here." I said "No, it's not me! It's the cat converter. It sometimes stinks like that." It's like I had to almost convince him that it wasn't me, but the darn truck that was smelling like that.LOL!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by mikedog
Well, you can save your money because I got a new free flow cat on mine and it still stinks every now and then.

You know something, this problem is kinda funny in a way. I remember riding with my dad in my truck one time. When we got into the driveway, I drove up feathering the clutch and reving the engine a little to get up the slight incline. He then looks at me and says "Did you let one or something?" I replied "No, why?" He says "There's a stinky smell coming from inside the cab here." I said "No, it's not me! It's the cat converter. It sometimes stinks like that." It's like I had to almost convince him that it wasn't me, but the darn truck that was smelling like that.LOL!

You better be careful. What if you were giving a chick a ride? MAybe you guys should get a sticker and put it on the dash somewhere and have it say something like: "It's the cat, not me...i swear!" or something. It would be a lot more believable and easier to explain rather than having that smell all of a sudden and just saying that you didn't rip one.-just a thought. :pat:
Old 05-20-2004, 06:48 AM

What is it with Toyotas? I do not recall having cat smell from a working cat on a dozen other vehicles by other car companies that I drove on a regular basis.... That includes Chevy, Ford and Chrysler trucks. But I did some reading and even new Lexuses apparantly smell so bad, some people have been returning them to dealers. Maybe Toyota motto should be "Toyota - reliable, smelly ride" I thought I'd replace my catalytic converter sometime but it appears it may not fix the problem. It is not like the engine is anymore efficient or it puts out less polutants. I compared emissions readouts from my Toyota to similar vehicles, and it appears that the smelly cat does not have any additional benefit of less pollution. Nor are 4Runners and other Toyota trucks, especially newer ones, known for their gas mileage. Maybe I should go find a used cat of of a Blazer and put it on my truck, or something
Old 05-20-2004, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by anthraciterunner
You better be careful. What if you were giving a chick a ride? MAybe you guys should get a sticker and put it on the dash somewhere and have it say something like: "It's the cat, not me...i swear!" or something. It would be a lot more believable and easier to explain rather than having that smell all of a sudden and just saying that you didn't rip one.-just a thought. :pat:

definately, the first time it happened was right after my girlfriend and i started dating, our first road trip, and coming up the hill from phx was the runner was poopy smell central, i didnt know what it was so i thought maybe it was her, and she has got this disgusted look on her face, which makes me think it was her even more...... ah it was priceless. Oh well, i will just shoot some fabreeze up the tail pipe (great idea right?!) or take apart the cat, and stick one of those little gel air fresheners in there. It should work.....
Old 05-20-2004, 09:45 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Come on guys, you're all going off into fantasy land.... If a catalytic converter is working, it smells. Period. Regardless of what brand or type of catalytic converter it has, it converts gives off hydrogen sulfide (which smells like rotten eggs.) It smells worse sometimes, when it's working harder. Close the back window - it's that simple. Read this: http://www.swri.edu/10light/catalyst.htm
Old 05-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

I was under the impression that rotten eggs could be a bad 02 sensor.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:27 PM

Absolutely! If you plan to take your girl out somewhere take the Ferarri NOT the Toyota PU/4Runner.

I guess these stinky converters are just one more reason to go with a test-pipe/gutted-out cat instead. For those who don't have emissions testing where they live that is.

Quick Reply: smells up hill problem