Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

which shocks are the smoothest!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which shocks are the smoothest!! HELP

Ok i am new to the world of suspension, i know quite a bit about motors but suspension is foreign to me.

I have a 97 tacoma xtracab 2wd w/ a 3" body lift. Rancho5000 on front, and stock shocks on back.

Now, This truck will mostly be a street truck unless im taking my dirtbike out where i might have to go on a dirt road, but probably no real offroading will be done in this truck.

SO, which shocks should i buy to achieve the smoothest possible ride n the road, smooth as in not feeling little bumps and minimizing the pot holes on the road. The ranchos are waaaayyyy to stiff for me and i dont like the ride, because its very rough on bumpy roads.

Ive heard OEM would be the softest riding but what is your opinions????????
Old 06-22-2006, 03:02 AM

I would like to know this as well.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:05 AM

There are so many opinions on shocks. Many here are running Billstien HD's, but I've heard they're quite harsh riding. Other options include KYB, OME, Rancho, Monroe, etc. If you're just after a smooth ride, Monroe SensaTracs are a pretty good bet...if you won't be offroading much. Do a search on shocks for more info.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:15 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
If you want smoothness over good handling, then I would have to agree that the OEM shock is probably the way to go. They'll give you that original, "Soccer Mom" ride. But be aware that, IMO, 4Runners typically do NOT ride as smooth as other SUV's no matter what shocks you put on them. I have the Bilsteins and they are harsh, but I prefer a nimble, tight-in-the-corners ride.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:25 AM

well i have the tacoma not the 4runner, and if i was after a smooth street ride would you recommend OEM, or the monroe sensatracs??????????

i have done a ton of searching on many boards and so far ive heard that sensatracs would be the best choice for a smooth aftermarket shock, but i was wondering how they would compare to the oem shocks, Like which ones are smoother?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definately stay away from the bils!

I'd say it would be a pretty close tie between the Sensatracs and the OEM Tokicos.
(hunch being the Monroes are slightly softer, but I can't say that with any certainty).
Old 06-22-2006, 05:25 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by MONEY_MIKE
well i have the tacoma not the 4runner...
My bad. I'll learn to read and retain one of these days...
Old 06-22-2006, 05:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why not go with some ranch-ho adjustables. you can make them as soft as you want then.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Cost,reliabilty and stock ride you should just go with OEM. I did the shocks and coils on my Runner and kept it around $350+shipping and I'm figuring a Tacoma setup should be similar in price.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:21 AM

If all you're looking for is a soft plush ride, go with the Monroe SensaTracs over the stock Tokico's. The Monroes will handle as well as stock, but are valved a little softer from what I've heard.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:53 AM

I think shockwarehouse.com still has the Rancho - Buy 3 get one free rebate going if interested...
Old 06-22-2006, 07:49 AM

I have Rancho's on mine. They're kinda the best of both worlds: decent ride on road and pretty capable off road. They're not as soft as the Monroes will be IMO.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 PM

i actually have the rancho 5000 on my front end right now and those are what inspired me to want a soft ride on the street because i bounce all over the place.

how much do oem shocks run?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 PM

You can check the stealership for a part number. Then, if you want to save some dough and can do the work yourself, visit www.toyotapartssales.com for the cheapest prices on genuine OEM parts. I will forewarn you that replacing the rear shocks on a 3rd gen is not an easy process. The top nut is all but impossible to reach. There are some good write ups here in the forums if you search that will give a good step by step process.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the Monroe SensaTracs for about a month. HATED THEM. They were sloppy, scarry if you hit a bump going around a corner. I changes over to Bilsteins, Love them. Firm but not harsh. Yellow body w/ Blue Boot. ( https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/gerdos-profile-85724/ for part numbers)
Old 06-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
OME comfort shocks are probably the best out there from what I hear. I like my Skyjacker Nitros.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by emptypockets
You can check the stealership for a part number. Then, if you want to save some dough and can do the work yourself, visit www.toyotapartssales.com for the cheapest prices on genuine OEM parts. I will forewarn you that replacing the rear shocks on a 3rd gen is not an easy process. The top nut is all but impossible to reach. There are some good write ups here in the forums if you search that will give a good step by step process.

i took a look under my truck after you said that and it looks like is wide open, are you talking about the 4runner or tacoma?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gerdo
I had the Monroe SensaTracs for about a month. HATED THEM. They were sloppy, scarry if you hit a bump going around a corner. I changes over to Bilsteins, Love them. Firm but not harsh. Yellow body w/ Blue Boot. ( https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85724 for part numbers)

how were the sesatracs "scary" when you hit a bump?? and how did they differ from stock oem shocks???
Old 06-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul H.
OME comfort shocks are probably the best out there from what I hear.
That's my opinion too, but I am a bit biased at this point.
Also depends on budget since the OMEs are a bit towards the expensive side.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MONEY_MIKE
how were the sesatracs "scary" when you hit a bump?? and how did they differ from stock oem shocks???
That's what I don't understand as well...Harsh shocks is where it would be scary, because you would momentarily loose control, but if they are as soft as people say then...?

Quick Reply: which shocks are the smoothest!! HELP