Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

shifting into drive(auto)

Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shifting into drive(auto)

Recently I added 2 inch spacers to my already 1.5 inch coils in the rear. I started noticing that my truck was not stopping as fast as it should and then my parking brake handle was coming most of the way out. I've tried to adjust it but no luck. I need to bleed the brakes I suppose. Only other option is replace them? Not much stopping power that is for sure. I added a longer brake proportioning valve bracket after I noticed weird jerking from my truck when stopping..it hasnt really gone away. I also havent ordered a panhard drop bracket which I need to do. With my axle being over to the right quite a bit, would this affect braking with a rear locker(would it mess with traction therefore making it harder to stop the tires?). I hear a clunking like my locker in the back when I am braking... Here is the Big question. Aside from all of these little things, recently my truck has decided that it doesnt like going into Drive from park. I can't get the button to go down so I can engage. This is really annoying and I'm not sure what is going on. I'm thinking that the brakes arent working properly and it's not giving enough pressure to show that the brakes are actually pushed down, therefore not letting me go into drive. Today I had to hit the 'shift override' button to shift it into drive. Very weird. Sorry for the long post but these are sorta important. If anybody knows anything please let me know. Thank you.

btw 90 toyota 4runner auto, Thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 03:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anybody have any ideas?
Old 11-12-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap in a 5 speed
Old 11-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for the not shifting into Park, I don't think its the pressure that is applied by the brakes that allows it to engage, I believe it's an electronically engaged switch that allows it, and it should happen with even the slightest amount of actual pressure supplied by you, not the actual pressure that the brakes apply...if that makes any sense I'll be happy.

As for the bad braking, bleed the brakes and check over all hoses and everything that you have done, also have your master cylinder checked out and make sure its all working properly.

Thats really all I got, good luck!

Fink
Old 11-12-2005, 02:33 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I had the big lift on my 2wd pickup, the person who installed it just kinda bent the hardlines down instea of doing it right - replumbing with longer lines. After the lift, the brakes were quite mushy and didn't stop well at all - kinda like you are describing.

Eventually, I fatigued a crack in one of the rear lines an totally drained the fluid out of the system (beyond what the isolation could handle apparently) and the pedal went to the floor at a stoplight. Fortunately, there was no cross traffic and I was able to run the light then limp to a brake shop using the manual transmission and e-brake to slow the truck.

Long story short - check all your brake lines. Hell - just replace them all with longer. This is certainly not something you want to experience (especially since you have an auto tranny).

As for the not shifting problem - check your tranny fluid lately? I strongly recommend changing it every 50,000 miles or so. Valve bodies are expensive ($600 for my Impala).