Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Security code?!

Old 05-21-2004, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Security code?!

I have just recently purchased my first car, and decided to go with a 1992 4runner i found a good deal on. Everything is working great, except that the radio jsut says SEC and wont play anything. I have heard that a security code is required but i did not get one. I just dont have the money to buy a new stereo. Thanks in adavance to anyone that can help me
Old 05-21-2004, 04:02 PM

I can't help ya with you'r question but, Welcome to Yotatech!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:31 PM

It depends on who manufactured your head unit. If it is a stock unit, head to the nearest reputable toyota dealership and see what they can do for you. Otherwise, you'll have to contact the manufacturer of the head unit.

~Bill
Old 05-21-2004, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the welcome

Well, I called the local Toyota dealer because it is stock and they said they can reset whatever the code is for 85$, for that much money I would rather just wait and save up for a new stereo. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:30 PM

Call another dealership. Or, if you ever take a trip out of town, call the dealerships in that area. The price for that 'service' is not set by Toyota; rather it is up to each individual dealership how much they charge. If you have or can get a good rapport with a dealership, they will often do it for free (just be nice about it, don't go in w/attitude).

You might get better results if you go in person, explain your problem, have them quote you the price, and look crestfallen and explain that you don't have that much, or something along those lines.

You can also try to guess the code your self, though I wouldn't try too many times (I think 9 is the limit). Often the code will be the last 3 or 4 digits of the VIN or the radio serial number.

Good luck,

~Bill
Old 05-22-2004, 07:17 AM
TOR

Forget it man, just go get another radio it isn't worth the headache. I guarantee you every dealership you go to will quote you at least an hour. Labor rates are at least $80 or more so you can bet they will charge you that, we would. I tried doing this for a customer once and the only way you can do it is through service. They require a code from your dealer that only service can give and most ASMs don't like working for free. As for the attitude of being crestfallen, DON'T DO THIS. Speaking from experience as a front counter man most of us hate that! If anything just go in and tell them you know around what it costs but just wanted to see if they could help you out. I know I am much more willing to help when the customer is just honest and doesn't give me a sob story. I would definitely agree not to walk in with an attitude, those customers get sold trade price instead of list.

Todd

Originally Posted by Mystickal
Call another dealership. Or, if you ever take a trip out of town, call the dealerships in that area. The price for that 'service' is not set by Toyota; rather it is up to each individual dealership how much they charge. If you have or can get a good rapport with a dealership, they will often do it for free (just be nice about it, don't go in w/attitude).

You might get better results if you go in person, explain your problem, have them quote you the price, and look crestfallen and explain that you don't have that much, or something along those lines.

You can also try to guess the code your self, though I wouldn't try too many times (I think 9 is the limit). Often the code will be the last 3 or 4 digits of the VIN or the radio serial number.

Good luck,

~Bill
Old 05-22-2004, 08:27 AM

Why not ask the person you bought it from for some help.
Also, I wrote the code inside my manual so I would forget.
Look thru the book as well as the glove box.
I know someone knows the trick.
For $85 bucks they aren't taking apart the dash.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:46 AM
TOR

It has nothing to do with a trick bro, it is just business. They have to input a code on the keypad to unlock it. Every manufacture has a different code for different models. More than likely the previous owner never even knew the code, this is what we run into all the time.

Todd

Originally Posted by Astralplane
Why not ask the person you bought it from for some help.
Also, I wrote the code inside my manual so I would forget.
Look thru the book as well as the glove box.
I know someone knows the trick.
For $85 bucks they aren't taking apart the dash.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:49 AM

if you know of any car stereo installation people they can call up toyota and get the security code. I had a friend that worked at Circuit City back when i had a 92prelude and just got the code from them and all was good but then It was a Honda so maybe Toyota units might be different

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 05-22-2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by TOR
It has nothing to do with a trick bro, it is just business. They have to input a code on the keypad to unlock it. Every manufacture has a different code for different models. More than likely the previous owner never even knew the code, this is what we run into all the time.

Todd
I wasn't talking to you BRO.
Please don't call me BRO, you idiot.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by TOR
I guarantee you every dealership you go to will quote you at least an hour. Labor rates are at least $80 or more so you can bet they will charge you that, we would.
The thing is that it doesn't take an hour to reset the stereo. The dash doesn't have to come apart, usually the stereo doesn't even have to come out. The hardest part for the ASM is getting on the phone to get the unlock code. $80+ bucks for that? C'mon, give me a break. The whole process takes 15 minutes, and there are dealerships that will unlock it for you for free as a 'goodwill' gesture.

~Bill
Old 05-22-2004, 10:50 AM
TOR

LOL! Hey man, it's all good no need to get testy. I thought we were just trying to help someone else out here? The "bro" comment was not meant to flame you up just the way I talk sometimes. Perhaps if you want to make sure that your comments are only responded to by those you are directing them to you should keep them at a PM level. See ya around the boards.

Mystickal, I agree it doesn't take any manual labor really. Just from what I have seen, no one likes to deal with this problem thus they charge an hour.

Todd

Originally Posted by Astralplane
I wasn't talking to you BRO.
Please don't call me BRO, you idiot.

Last edited by TOR; 05-22-2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:20 PM

Ive decided to go to a different toyota dealer and give them my story, if its not that much to get it reset from them ill jsut get it done, becuase its not a bad stock stereo. It has cdplayer and cassette so if it works its probably worth it. Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:53 PM

FYI on mine they had to take the unit out and get the serial# to get a code.

IMH there HAS to be an easier way. because if you take your truck to be serviced at Toyota dealer and have to disconnect the battery and reset the unit what are the dealer going to say? sorry WE disconnected battery but YOU'RE SOL?.

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 05-22-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:57 PM

You may want to check out these guys. I stumbled onto their website awhile ago, but have not tried them out. It does cost money ($38), but its cheaper than the dealer's one hour rate.

http://radio-code.com/index/Home.cfml
Old 05-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

This happened to me when I went to sell my stock stereo. I didn't have the code to unlock it before shipping it out.

All the dealers I called said it would be a min 1 hour of labor. So I simply drove up into the service line at Roseville Toyota and said I needed my radio unlocked and I had called Toyota and they said it is normally done as a COURTESY because they do it so often. 5 minutes later, my radio worked!