Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

S/C Pulley! Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S/C Pulley! Which one?

I am ordering the URD fuel kit. They said I need to buy a smaller pulley for maximum power. They have some for sale for 150 or I noticed there are also some on ebay for 50 or 80 buy it now. They one on ebay is made by VHR and it claims to be 9 psi and 2 in. I was looking for feedback regarding the ebay pulley. There is a huge price difference, and every penny counts because I am only a college student.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Most of the guys I know here use the URD 2.2 Pulley.. well worth the money and proven positive results... I have never heard any feedback on the VHR pulley that you mention on ebay... and since you are purchasing the URD kit-- I strongly suggest you stay with their products...Again all their products have been tested and give positive results... I'm using the 2.2 pulley right now and reach boost at 8.5 to 9.5 psi --my buddy Dave (TRDOLMAN) uses the 2.0 URD pulley and hit boost levels over 10psi... He has the the fastest and strongest running supercharged 3.4L engine around... URD has and will Confirm this...

Last edited by Noliwan; 08-21-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:47 PM

Noli, have you had any problems with smog using the URD fuel setup? Also, did you dyno yours there in the SF bay area? I'm about to purchase supercharger, fuel setup and pulley from them. I'm thinking 2.1 just to be safe..haha. I learned my lesson about being greedy when I caught my GSXR on fire running nitrous.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stiffler
Noli, have you had any problems with smog using the URD fuel setup? Also, did you dyno yours there in the SF bay area? I'm about to purchase supercharger, fuel setup and pulley from them. I'm thinking 2.1 just to be safe..haha. I learned my lesson about being greedy when I caught my GSXR on fire running nitrous.
I have not smogged my truck yet-- not due til next year, but two of my friends with the exact same setup I have passed smog with no problems--

The only thing that would worry me is the visual inspection--since my engine bay is loaded with so much performance parts--All CA legal... but as long as I'm well tuned I don't see a problem with it...There is not much difference between the 2.2 ,2.1 and 2.0 pulleys...as far as HP is concerned-- the 3.4L engine seems to run better with the 2.2 pulley as we have tried & experienced it on the dyno runs...Here in San Jose-- DYNOSPOT RACING...That is where me & Dave always have our Dyno runs and would highly recommend them to anyone else seeking to dyno their truck or car...
Old 08-21-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
koyota93;

The stock S/C pulley will put you at about 6.5psi depending on altitude, a 2.2 will put you at about 8, 2.1 around 9 and 2.0 around 10. Here in Seattle, I'm running the URD 2.2 and pull about 8.5.. I'm also running a bored TB, Airaid intake and the deckplate mod - I mention it 'cause it's important to not impeed the S/C from sucking in the air it needs to create the boost.

I would recommend AGAINST running anything smaller than the 2.2 pulley unless you're also going to run a misting system. This is because as you turn up the boost, you're going to induce the probability of ping into the system. You can retard the timing with the FTC1 (part of the URD system) but it will only take you so far before you start having other issues - like performance falling off.

Running 8+psi of boost on these engines is a lot - you'll love the power. You can always go beyond that when you're ready to spend more money to do it right.

Speaking of spending money.. You don't say if you're running an auto or manual, but if you're pushing this power through an auto, then you REALLY need to get the valve body work done. Otherwise, you're just losing power through slipping, and you're shortening the life of your tranny.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
koyota93;

The stock S/C pulley will put you at about 6.5psi depending on altitude, a 2.2 will put you at about 8, 2.1 around 9 and 2.0 around 10. Here in Seattle, I'm running the URD 2.2 and pull about 8.5.. I'm also running a bored TB, Airaid intake and the deckplate mod - I mention it 'cause it's important to not impeed the S/C from sucking in the air it needs to create the boost.

I would recommend AGAINST running anything smaller than the 2.2 pulley unless you're also going to run a misting system. This is because as you turn up the boost, you're going to induce the probability of ping into the system. You can retard the timing with the FTC1 (part of the URD system) but it will only take you so far before you start having other issues - like performance falling off.

Running 8+psi of boost on these engines is a lot - you'll love the power. You can always go beyond that when you're ready to spend more money to do it right.

Speaking of spending money.. You don't say if you're running an auto or manual, but if you're pushing this power through an auto, then you REALLY need to get the valve body work done. Otherwise, you're just losing power through slipping, and you're shortening the life of your tranny.
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will go with the URD pulley. I do have an automatic and I do plan on getting the IPT Valve Body.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by koyota93
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will go with the URD pulley. I do have an automatic and I do plan on getting the IPT Valve Body.
cool... Keep in mind that URD is making 3 sizes of pulleys, so please choose wisely.

As for calling John, the sooner the better... I _haven't_ and the 1st->2nd slipping is only getting worse. I'm playing the odds that when I finally get things together to do it, that I won't be looking at major tranny work.

It can be an expensive game.

Let us all know how you like the power.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:52 AM

I would also recommend the URD 2.2 pulley. It provides a good boost (literally) in power without the worry of overspeed on the S/C. There is no comparison between the VHR pulley and the URD. The VHR slips and because the sides aren't nearly as deep, the belt has a better chance of coming off.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:45 AM

excellent, thanks for the input. I don't see a problem with smog either...I've modified my 300zxtt quite a bit (turbos, intake, cams, pistons, etc). I believe the only thing I had to tell the smog guy was where the o2 sensors were located. So 2.2 pulley and the URD fuel setup...here I come.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:34 AM

So 2.2 pulley and the URD fuel setup...
...and if you're driving an auto, get the tranny done!

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/

"John" is the owner, and he's here on YT.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Mark what is John's call name on the forum...???

I need to get my Valve body done soon also... Looking at next month after labor day...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Noliwan
what is John's call name on the forum...???
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/members/4194.html

Old 08-22-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks 96 Runner...!!!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Thanks Christian!

Noliwan;

Check out this thread... John answered a lot of the basic questions about things.

Last edited by midiwall; 08-22-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:46 PM

Wow...I had no idea. This is the first automatic transmission I've ever owned. These costs really start adding up!
Old 08-22-2005, 03:00 PM

Wow...I had no idea. This is the first automatic transmission I've ever owned. These costs really start adding up!
heh. Actually, having the VB work done is a nice one-time deal. It's pricey, but like John explains in that thread, there's a lot of labor & setup. And, if it's done wrong, you'll be buying a tranny - not just a VB. I know 'cause I've been looking for just the VB plate for a while now and can't find a yard that breaks down a tranny like that.

Anyway... the downside is that if you don't spend the $800ish bucks (cost of work + cost of shipping + cost of tranny fluid + possible rental car), sooner than later, then the shift from 1st -> 2nd will get worse and worse. The other gears can have issues as well, but the real problem is the low end.

If you really can't afford the work right away, then lay off of the high RPM run-outs in 1st gear and you'll be "okay" for longer.

Every-so-often there will be a sale going for S/Cs... There was one around here a while back, and 6 sold like hotcakes. The downside is that people look at $1000 for an S/C and think they're done (or, the more common $1800 price). That's SOOOOOO untrue. Yes, people have dropped them in "clean" and been "fine", but those stories are few and far between.

Fuel mods, injectors, piggy back controller, deck plate, tranny work, premium gas... It adds up really quick.

... but damn it's cool.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Well I hope I made the right decision. I ordered the 2.2 pulley, fuel upgrade with PCU for 97, and the grey supercharger from URDUSA. Now my nerves are shot after spending $2500.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:50 PM

Good decisions all!!
Old 08-22-2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by TRDOLMAN
Good decisions all!!
Seconded!

Let us know what kind of fun you have with it all!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:38 AM

So give us an update!

Quick Reply: S/C Pulley! Which one?