Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Running lean...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Running lean...

After 300 miles with the supercharger, I keep getting warning lights. Finally I take it to Autozone. The guy there used to work for Lexus and has a brother with a SC Taco. I had him run the handheld code machine and he said the code coming back said I was running lean. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the Toyota dealer tomorrow. Bah...The weird part is its not pinging and I'm running 92 octane.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Old 11-26-2002, 09:19 AM
Away

Re: Running lean...

Originally posted by BlueTrane
After 300 miles with the supercharger, I keep getting warning lights. Finally I take it to Autozone. The guy there used to work for Lexus and has a brother with a SC Taco. I had him run the handheld code machine and he said the code coming back said I was running lean. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the Toyota dealer tomorrow. Bah...The weird part is its not pinging and I'm running 92 octane.

Has this happened to anyone else?
I do not own a SC Truck, but one of the problems with the SC and these engines is a leaning out condition. Be careful or you run the risk of burning holes in your pistons.

You really shouldn't install the SC unless you are willing to spend money on upgrading the fuel delivery system, i.e.; larger injectors, bigger fuel pump, higher fuel pressure, some electronics to control the larger injectors, etc...

You should also replace the entire stock exhaust system from the manifolds to the tailpipe with larger tubing. This inlcudes installing headers.

TRD can claim the SC "Works" if you just bolt it on because it does. However, there are a lot of issues with the SC that they choose to simply sweep under the rug.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 11-26-2002, 09:56 AM

I've had my SC for almost 2 years. I've never had the problem as described by BlueTrane. The only Fuel mod I have done is the Free FMU Mod (which has become the 'standard' install now). I have added the TRD exhaust about 4 months ago. I have never experienced pinging (I was actually expecting it), and the 91 octane is the highest that is available around here.
I suggest you take it back to the dealer who installed it and have them troubleshoot why you are leaning out...if they installed it, it is definitely under warranty.

Last edited by dukestr; 11-26-2002 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

That is exactly why I am scared to get the supercharger. Seems to me like it will lead to alot of additional costs like fuel delivery mods, tranny upgrades, etc. Plus, a lot of people seem to have to play around with many different setups before they get it right. I don't know about ya'll, but I don't have the time to keep playing with all that stuff and continuously change setups to find what works best. Since this is my only vehicle, I can't afford to sacrifice the reliability I have had so far with my 4Runner for a few extra horses. My previous two vehicles were a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chevy Blazer. Enough said!! Both were in the shop more than on the road. So far, my 4Runner has been extremely reliable and I don't want to jeopardize that. I think I'll probably shy away until I've got the money to spend on a "project car." Later.

Matt
Old 11-26-2002, 07:07 PM

I have to say that you are in the minority...however sad it is, seems that people who have Toyota do the install, have more problems with the SC and install. I installed my charger a little over a week ago, and already have 600 miles on it without so much as a miss at idle, nothing. It has been absolutely perfect, and as stock running (except the massive power) as it gets. The stock 4runner exhaust is not that small, and seems to deal "ok" with being supercharged. I do plan on upgrading my exhaust, but its going to wait until after christmas.

So, in conclusion, I only trust myself to do a quality install, for only the most obvious reasons..no one cares as much about your 4runner as you do...
Old 11-27-2002, 08:27 AM

Dealer install?

If the dealer installed the SC, take it back. Easy enough. If you installed it yourself, you'll need to take it in anyway for them to diagnose it.

Although I did not install my SC (dealer install 70,000 miles ago. no ping no problems), it's not rocket science. Possibly a vacuum line routed wrong, but I can't see what the dealer could have done SO wrong.

I also notice you have an Amsoil filter. Have you checked your MAF? If you have over oiled your filter even a little, it coats the MAF and screws up the signal going to the ECU.

Just food for thought.

Mike
Old 11-27-2002, 08:33 AM

I called the service manager of the dealership that installed it. He tried to tell me my Traction control was going out. To hell with them. The hand held gave a lean code. It hasn't come back on since the guy at Autozone cleared it. I also have removed the Free FMU mod. I'll be cleanin my MAF when I get home from school in a couple hours. I'll let ya'll know if it is dirty.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:54 PM

I'm very new to all this, and this post is probably old, but here's the exact recommendations that Gadget gave me that you should do if you want maximum performance from the supercharger:

1) Split Second FTC1-E
2) 305cc Fuel Injectors
3) Split Second ARM1
4) Walbro 190 LPH Fuel Pump

He said that after all the modifications that he's experimented with over the years, he said that if I did the following modifications to my 1998 4-Runner, it would run as good as his, which is great to me! Obviously, headers and cat-back exhaust isn't going to hurt at all, but the above is jus in reference to the supercharger installation itself.

Chris