Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Running Hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Hot

My '98 Tacoma (3RZ 2.7L) has been running hot (not overheating, gauge @ ~3/4) since the weather has warmed up here in western NY. I replaced the thermostat 2 weeks ago, checked the belt and had the coolant flushed yesterday, but it hasn't fixed the problem. No white smoke, no antifreeze smell and I'm not losing any coolant so I don't think its a head gasket, but plan on getting a compression check done. When I turn the heat on it does cool down. I was under the impression that water pumps don't die a slow death, so I don't think it's that. At a loss. I searched the forums here and didn't find much on this problem. A friend at work refered me to this site; good stuff here.

Last edited by jdt0t; 05-16-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try testing your fan clutch.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waterpumps do die a slow death in my exp.
It could likely be a blockage or gunk in the cooling system. Flush the system and refill it with 50/50 distilled water/antifreeze mix.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

He said he already flushed it. Here's some info on fan clutches:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_...e/1772922.html
Old 05-17-2007, 04:39 AM

Thanks for the link... The more I read on the fan clutch the more I think that's the problem.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:30 AM

I'm getting nowhere. I replaced my fan clutch and it still ran hot; so I took out my thermostat and that didn't change anything. I took it to a toyota dealer who did a pressure check and was told the radiator is ok. He also said it wasn't the head gasket and recommended that I put in a factory thermostat as the codes he pulled all indicated a bad thermostat, (no ˟˟˟˟˟, it's not in there). I'm at a total loss here. The only thing I can think is that I'm using the green antifreeze instead of the red.

Last edited by jdt0t; 06-06-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Color of the coolant shouldn't matter. So it sounds like about the only thing you haven't checked is the water pump? Many times they have a weep hole that will indicate if it's on its way out. I'm not sure if your 2.7 has that or not.

Rob

Last edited by rdlsz24; 06-06-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:39 PM

But will a leaky water pump result in hotter temps? I've had a leaky pump before and the temp was fine. But I guess there are no other culprits, so maybe that is it. Or maybe it's the temp gauge itself.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 PM

a leaky pump is just another failed pump, because the system has to be pressurized.

a bad radiator cap will cause this to happen. replace that and see.

i temp guage doesnt lie because he turned on the heater and temp drops.

Last edited by profuse007; 06-06-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by profuse007
a bad radiator can will cause this to happen. replace that and see.
Toyota tech said the radiator was ok

Rob
Old 06-06-2007, 01:45 PM

radiator cap will cause this to happen. this was the problrm I had. You mught also want to check into a cap that rus cooler as well. I was told they have them as well, but don't really no.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:52 PM

make sure the water pumps not cavitating (air in the pump or highest coolant point in the engine) check your oil
Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 PM

How are your hoses? Long long ago I was stumped by a similar problem, replaced damn near everything in the cooling system except the hoses because they didnt leak and looked fine. Well, one was apparently worn out, and was actually sucking shut under pressure. Replaced that with a new stiff one and all was well.

You did burp the system, right?

edit: this was not on a toyota, I dont know how the hoses are on these trucks, it simply might not happen on them...
Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 PM

So, I have a 99 that was doing the same thing...yada,yada,yada....I did all that you did with no fix, so.....I stuck a thermometer with a probe on it between the fan shroud and radiator when the engine was running and warmed up to measure air temp...probed the drivers side...160 deg, probe the pass side, 165 deg, probe the middle....95 deg...the radiator appeared to be fine, but was at least 50% internally plugged with some powdery, pink deposits. The reason the fan clutch did not come on was the cool air feeding to it through the center section of the radiator. I opened up the old radiator - I will try to post a pic. Bottom line - new radiator - problem resolved...
Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 AM

I haven't seen any leaks in the water pump and the hoses don't collapse. I think I'm going to start with replacing the radiator cap, then the water pump and radiator if necessary.
Thanks for the great advice on this.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 AM

Try checking the resistance on the temperature sender for the gauge... just so you know its good.

I also second slus on the cooling system bleed... I haven't torn down one of these engines so I'm not familiar with the coolant passages but typically any air trapped in the head will just create small hot spots... some motors are worse than others, so this may or may not make a big difference but its cheap and easy to do.

I would suggest a snug fit coolant funnel from sears or an auto place; it creates a water tight seal on the radiator cap spout. Make sure the funnel is kept full of distilled water and the air will make its way out over the next 20-30min. also any bleed screws should be used to help bleed air out...

typically if the radiator cap is failing it will allow air into the system and coolant out of the reservoir... eventually this results in boiling coolant in the overflow reservoir once the warm motor is shut off... if you notice/hear it then the radiator cap is more than likely the culprit.

Good luck with it

Last edited by RacerX; 06-07-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:42 AM

yeah man, get a small piece of flat steel or something to try to push into the fins of the radiator. If its not easy to push down the fins, clogged up radiator. This was my problem even after changing the waterpump, t-stat and cap with a flush.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 PM

If you aren't losing coolant then your cap is not the problem (particularly at relatively lower temps)....The water pump is typically is not a problem if it isn't leaking....Anyway, a great way to tell is to buy a cheap thermometer with a probe as I mentioned earlier - this way you could tell if your water pump is performing and if your radiator is internally (or externally) plugged or not. If you are not losing coolant (as you have said) then my money is on the radiator being plugged. Matter of fact (how's this for great internet bravado...) I'll bet you $10 that your radiator is the problem.....

Last edited by Finelygotone; 06-08-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Finelygotone
So, I have a 99 that was doing the same thing...yada,yada,yada....I did all that you did with no fix, so.....I stuck a thermometer with a probe on it between the fan shroud and radiator when the engine was running and warmed up to measure air temp...probed the drivers side...160 deg, probe the pass side, 165 deg, probe the middle....95 deg...the radiator appeared to be fine, but was at least 50% internally plugged with some powdery, pink deposits. The reason the fan clutch did not come on was the cool air feeding to it through the center section of the radiator. I opened up the old radiator - I will try to post a pic. Bottom line - new radiator - problem resolved...
Yeah a pic of that would be great, you're talking about a plugged core right? Or in other words the coolant wasn't making it through the center of the core.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:45 PM

Yea the core was blocked - I split a few tubes and they were completely plugged. I guess about 40%+ of the tubes were blocked with a pinkish, powdery material. I guess the PO hadn't ever flushed....

Here is a pic:

Quick Reply: Running Hot