Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

rooftop cargo rack that mounts on factory "T" slots?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rooftop cargo rack that mounts on factory "T" slots?

Is there a rooftop cargo rack out there that mounts on the factory "T" slots instead of clamping to the cross bars? Looking for something that can hold 4-5 jerry cans in the front, and a spare tire in the rear - so it would have to be trail rated for a decent load.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Bajarack makes a direct fit roof rack that uses brackets that slide in place of the stock cargo bars.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Red3.slow
Bajarack makes a direct fit roof rack that uses brackets that slide in place of the stock cargo bars.
Thanks. I cross posted this on a couple of other sites, and someone suggested the Baja Rack also. Looks like a well built unit - a little expensive though - but what quality product isn't...
Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

I've got one and I like it a lot. I kind of wish they had used a little bit beefier materials. But they kept the weight down, it still has a 200 something pound weight limit. Just watch when walking on it, if you're a bigger guy like me it might bend a little. I haven't had an issue, but when walking toward the center of the rack it seems like it wants to.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM

did you get the large or the small one?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 PM

I had a yakima roof rack basket I got from CL. It fit directly to the factory cross braces but I wish I had had/made a clip that would draw it closer to the hood.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:43 PM

I had this one on my wife's '99 4Runner:

It is a prototype DiamondRax roof rack (I'm the owner of DiamondRax). Our new version, low-profile roof rack will be out this week. And, just in case you were wondering, I have already contacted the mods for a vendor spot here
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM

You can get Yakima RailRider towers then the crossbars, that's what I used for my LoadWarrior. You'll need the RailRider I style. I have some towers, PM me if interested.
Jason
Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 AM

[It is a prototype DiamondRax roof rack (I'm the owner of DiamondRax). Our new version, low-profile roof rack will be out this week. And, just in case you were wondering, I have already contacted the mods for a vendor spot here ]

Nice. I like how the rack sits tight to the vehicle. What material is that made from? and what is your price point? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 AM

When will someone build a rack that you can attach and detach a yakima or thule cargo box too.

Reason being is when ever I have needed to use a cargo carrier rack was when I could not store our gear in the truck and needed to put it on top. Downside was at certain time wrapping it up so it would not get rained on.

I like the multi functionality of a roof rack. Heck I love the look. However I would like it for it to truly be multi purpose. When I go 4wheeling/overlanding/short trips in the woods need a good place for water,gas,tires,hi-lift? When I go on road trips can I attach a rocket box to it so I can put my families luggage and crap in it.

I like how folks like Gobi build their racks to go across the entire top. I think it would be awesome to use the rear for a roof mount tent and the front for say I widened and shortened cargo carrier. If that makes sense.

I digress, I still would want whatever rack I get to sit flush with the OE rack rails.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Urban Assault
[It is a prototype DiamondRax roof rack (I'm the owner of DiamondRax). Our new version, low-profile roof rack will be out this week. And, just in case you were wondering, I have already contacted the mods for a vendor spot here ]

Nice. I like how the rack sits tight to the vehicle. What material is that made from? and what is your price point? Thanks!
These are all-steel 16-gauge steel construction, fully welded, one-piece units. Built entirely in the USA. Powdercoated a textured matte black. We have several options:

Angled front with solid fairing panel (this one has 4" sides):

6" sided rack in various sizes (this one is 54" wide by 84" long) on an FJ60 Land Cruiser:

We even do rear-opening (like this one) and side-opening rooftop tent racks:

This is our low-profile 2" sided rack (again, many sizes available):

Obviously, prices vary according to size and options. For a 4Runner-sized rack, you're looking at around $450 or so(including mounting hardware) plus shipping.

Last edited by cruiserstuff; 03-15-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by jamacee
When will someone build a rack that you can attach and detach a yakima or thule cargo box too.

Reason being is when ever I have needed to use a cargo carrier rack was when I could not store our gear in the truck and needed to put it on top. Downside was at certain time wrapping it up so it would not get rained on.

I like the multi functionality of a roof rack. Heck I love the look. However I would like it for it to truly be multi purpose. When I go 4wheeling/overlanding/short trips in the woods need a good place for water,gas,tires,hi-lift? When I go on road trips can I attach a rocket box to it so I can put my families luggage and crap in it.

I like how folks like Gobi build their racks to go across the entire top. I think it would be awesome to use the rear for a roof mount tent and the front for say I widened and shortened cargo carrier. If that makes sense.

I digress, I still would want whatever rack I get to sit flush with the OE rack rails.
We offer (what we call) "Yak-Adapts" that mount to our roof racks and allow you to mount any Yakima accessory (or other brand accessory) that with fit the standard Yakima round tube crossbar. We built them to sleeve over the Yakima round bar and pin in place so you can remove the pins and slide the bars out (even with the attachments in place).

Another option to suit your needs/preferences would be a "hybrid" rack, which has sides in the front and a flat portion in the rear:

Old 05-08-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by cruiserstuff
It is a prototype DiamondRax roof rack (I'm the owner of DiamondRax). Our new version, low-profile roof rack will be out this week. And, just in case you were wondering, I have already contacted the mods for a vendor spot here
I saw your feature in this months 4WD Toyota Owner magazine. Well done. I love the 3rd Gen Lo-Pro rack. Now, I have to decide between the 4" or the low profile 2".
Old 10-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Don't know how I missed this, but here's a much-delayed "Thank You!" We're biased (of course) but we really like the looks of the low-pro racks on the 2nd and 3rd Gen 4Runners.

Of course, the 4" sided ones don't look bad either:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0870307&type=1

We recently supplied the magazine with one of our rear-opening rooftop tent racks for one of their FJ40's so, hopefully, you'll see us in the mag again soon.

Last edited by cruiserstuff; 10-25-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Those are sexy roof baskets..just what I have been looking for.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:10 AM

Thanks. The one that I linked in post #14 is for sale, by the way.....just sayin'