Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ROCK vs. WINDSHIELD,... Windshield lost,...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROCK vs. WINDSHIELD,... Windshield lost,...

A truck in front of me while doing 75mph kicked up a rock and cracked my windshield badly. My question is,... I have the extended bumper to bumper warranty on my truck,... would they cover the windshield seeing thats not wear and tear?
Old 07-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

I would say no way. I would however, contact your insurance...I bet the will cover it with no issues.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:24 AM

No way,... I amnot going to take that chnce unless I absolutely have too,... I pay so much money for my insurance and my record is clean.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

I agree, the warranty will not cover glass. You may either have special glass replacement coverage on your insurance, otherwise it would be considered a comprehensive claim, not a collision claim. Typically your comp. deductible is much lower, say $100 - and you will often find shops with yellow pages coupons that cover your deductible, or most of it anyway. And comp claims usually do not increase your rates.

Bottom line is, call your insurance company. They won't raise your rates just for asking a question. If they say your rates won't go up, then have them take care of it.

You may want to leave out the 75 MPH part though.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by overKILL
No way,... I amnot going to take that chnce unless I absolutely have too,... I pay so much money for my insurance and my record is clean.
You are not at fault.... The truck threw the rock up and it HIT your windshield.....

Find out if you have free glass replacement on your policy. Call them and find out if it is worth making a claim or not. Then call an auto glass shop and find out how much a windshield is.... Do not be surprised to shell out $400 bucks or so for some new glass.

I see you live in NJ, does that have anything to do with you not making a claim because you are detered to make a claim? Because I hear horror stories about NJ Insurance Companies and high rates and dropping customers for no reasons.... Hmmm old scare tactic...
Old 07-30-2004, 09:36 AM

Quote- "No way,... I amnot going to take that chnce unless I absolutely have too,... I pay so much money for my insurance and my record is clean."

That is why you pay so much money for full coverage insurance - to cover stuff that happens to your truck. Was it your fault that the rock hit your windshield? I don't think so. Why would the insurance company blame or penalize you? You should be able to get it fixed and it shouldn't cost you anything but your time.
Also, some insurance companies will just cut you a check to get the work done at a shop of your choice.
The price alone of that windshield I don't want to know - then the cost of installing it? My advice is to go talk to your insurance company. I'm sure that they will take care of you.........At least call and ask them.

Edit: Sheeze - I type too slow.

Last edited by 88toy4x4; 07-30-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:37 AM

Keep in mind too, that if the damage is not that severe, you can have your windshield repaired.

Repair typically runs about $50 per windshield. It will not make the damage completely disappear, but will stop any cracks from continuing, and also make the damage look far less noticeable.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

You want to know what a very good PPG windshield actually costs the repair place?

My brother works for one and he got me a PPG windshield which is sitting in my garage for my Runner and it cost me under $70 plus he'll do the install for free. I think the actual cost to the shop is a few bucks less since my brother just gave me the rounded up price. The shops make alot of profit off of something they know we all need to replace eventually.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

In New Mexico Glass Coverage is a "Must" on your Car Insurance. Most front windshields get replaced every 2 years here because of rocks being kicked up.

It's a small premium increase $10 -$15 a year but well worth it.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

I bought my windshield before summer but now I have glass coverage from my insurance and i't sonly $4 extra a month;I could replace my windhsiled after every winter for only $48 every twelve months and in Colorado it would be worth it.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Check your insurance policy, some states mandate that windshield replacement must be fully covered with $0 deductible due to state laws, others mandate that insurance must pay 100% to repair rock chips but can charge a deductible for replacement.

States with high windshield replacement rates (ie Colorado) usually charge less for the glass because they make their money on volume sales, not on the glass itself.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:08 AM

Florida is a $0 deductible state, as well as Massachussetts I believe.

Almost all insurance companies (in any state) will pay the full cost to repair rock chips if you have comprehensive insurance.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by overKILL
A truck in front of me while doing 75mph kicked up a rock and cracked my windshield badly. My question is,... I have the extended bumper to bumper warranty on my truck,... would they cover the windshield seeing thats not wear and tear?
In Kentucky the insurance has to cover it. And I don't think it affects your insurance at all. It has to do with a state law or something. I had mine replaced recently, and 2 weeks later, in the same location on the highway, it got cracked again. Definitely give your insurance company a call, before shelling out the money to get it fixed.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Banned

i would be careful..... it is supposedly coverd by full comp insurance... the problem is, they can raise rates on you and make up any bs reason... dont like it, they dont pay and they will drop you as easy as that.....
Old 08-01-2004, 11:06 AM

Did you get the name of the company the truck belonged to? Usually if you call the company up and tell them they broke your window because they were loosing their load they'll replace it for you. If they say "No" try the "OK well I'll just have to call the Highway Patrol"
Old 08-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Donovan
Did you get the name of the company the truck belonged to? Usually if you call the company up and tell them they broke your window because they were loosing their load they'll replace it for you.
Heh. I've driven behind trucks in NJ that now say "We are not responsible for windshield damage." I drove behind one idiot that had this on his dumper and the guy didn't even have a tarp on his load. Go figure.