Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Retarded question on rear tails for 3rd gens

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retarded question on rear tails for 3rd gens

What is the difference between the tail lights on the 96-99 models vs. the 00-02? I know the newer ones look more blinged out (kinda sparkly) but what is the real difference. I've seen some sigs where people replace them but it seems like a ton of cash for little difference. Please enlighten me so I can unload some weight from my wallet like every other thing here on yotatech that I see.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
besides the looks of the clear lenses of the 01/02 compared to the 96-00 lights, the plugs for them are different (for the blinker) and will require some slight rework to retrofit the newer lights onto a older rig.

old:

new:

Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

The 96'-'00 have orange molded in the tailight plastic...the '01 tails have clear plastic but come with orange bulbs, you'll need to get the Chromed bulbs from Jason B.

I just did this mod about 2 days ago, worth it! Looks AWESOME!

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 11-10-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Andy, not sure where you got your lights but mine came with a pre-wired harness...plug-n-play, took about 15 minutes on each side, I have really big hands so it was a pain to get inside the rear panels and undo the ground bolts, but I managed, overall VERY easy!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Banned

got my pair used for $40. one has a 1.5" crack in the red part of the lens.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Andy, not sure where you got your lights but mine came with a pre-wired harness...plug-n-play, took about 15 minutes on each side, I have really big hands so it was a pain to get inside the rear panels and undo the ground bolts, but I managed, overall VERY easy!
I guess I'm not seeing a major diff but how much did you pay for yours with the plug-n-play harness. I'm a bandwagon kinda person when it comes to mods so why not?

I've also tried the Altezzas but didn't like the look on my truck. Is it the same type of swap or is there more to it?
Old 11-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

[QUOTE=bamachem]besides the looks of the clear lenses of the 01/02 compared to the 96-00 lights, the plugs for them are different (for the blinker) and will require some slight rework to retrofit the newer lights onto a older rig.

Andy, what haven't you done to your truck besides a SAS?
Old 11-10-2005, 09:10 AM
lee
Contributing Member

he didnt do an sas! look at his website for more info.. his truck is sweet.

...and he got his cracked tails from me
Old 11-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Banned

lol... he said what haven't i done BESIDES an SAS, as in: he already know's that i haven't done an SAS, but it looks like i've at least tried everything else...

i've never tried PP springs or regular Bilsteins.
i've never done a HID retrofit.
i've never swapped my interior lights to blue bulbs or LED's.

i have yet to add some HD skid plates.
i have yet to add a auxillary gas tank.
i have yet to hang my custom rear bumper.
(^ "yet" being the operative words in those statements )
Old 11-10-2005, 09:23 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
lol... he said what haven't i done BESIDES an SAS, as in: he already know's that i haven't done an SAS, but it looks like i've at least tried everything else...
oops

well at least i suckered.. i mean sold you the tails while you were doing the "just for looks" mods!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Banned

lol... actually, i had a busted driver side light that was going to be $70. i snagged your PAIR for $40, then sold my old passenger side light for about $25 or so on ebay...

Old 11-10-2005, 09:34 AM
lee
Contributing Member

suck... errrrrrrrrrrrrr

...aw.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lee
oops

well at least i suckered.. i mean sold you the tails while you were doing the "just for looks" mods!
Lee, out of curiousity, what did you replace your tails with? And one other thing, I kept seeing your truck with the limited-style flares but you kept saying that you have an SR5. I just found out that the SR5's 2001 and on had the bigger flares. I wish I had those.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem

i've never tried PP springs or regular Bilsteins.
i've never done a HID retrofit.
i've never swapped my interior lights to blue bulbs or LED's.

i have yet to add some HD skid plates.
i have yet to add a auxillary gas tank.
i have yet to hang my custom rear bumper.
(^ "yet" being the operative words in those statements )
You don't need to try PP springs and Bils b/c you created the bamachem setup. HID's are a must one day but the interior lights, who cares.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:26 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ebelen1
Lee, out of curiousity, what did you replace your tails with? And one other thing, I kept seeing your truck with the limited-style flares but you kept saying that you have an SR5. I just found out that the SR5's 2001 and on had the bigger flares. I wish I had those.
replaced mine with ones i bought on here for 60 bucks off an 02.. i wanted to get rid of mine because one was cracked

looking back, that was dumb. but i didnt wheel back then.

yes i have an sr5, and those are sr5 flares... the limiteds are a little different, and squared off at the bottom versus rounded off on the sr5's.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

ebelen, it's really hard to tell in the pics that Andy posted because he still had the stock orange colored bulbs in that comes with them (or came with from lee), if you talk to Jason B. he can get the chromed out bulbs model number 7440, then the rear tails will be completely cleared out...this is an amazing improvement over stock, you won't notice it right away but after you look at some '99s with the old tailights you had and then look at yours, you'll see it.

Fink
Old 11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
ebelen, it's really hard to tell in the pics that Andy posted because he still had the stock orange colored bulbs in that comes with them (or came with from lee), if you talk to Jason B. he can get the chromed out bulbs model number 7440, then the rear tails will be completely cleared out...this is an amazing improvement over stock, you won't notice it right away but after you look at some '99s with the old tailights you had and then look at yours, you'll see it.

Fink
I went to Jason B's site but I don't see the cost. Did you get them from him or the dealer? When you got them, did it already have the harness?

Thanks.

Also, do you have pics of yours with the chrome bulb?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Jason CAN get them for you but you have to contact him directly, he doesn't list them on his site, I believe he has a deal with Toyota so he can't list the price online.

As for pics, I don't have my digi cam at my new apartment but I should be able to snap a few shots this weekend before the Runner goes in for the new paint job next week.

I will get them up as soon as possible, if not, ask Jason for his pic...you can IM him on AIM, his screen name is JNB133 he's usually on there.

Fink
Old 11-10-2005, 10:50 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i have chrome bulbs in mine... ill see if i can find a pic
Old 11-10-2005, 10:55 AM
lee
Contributing Member

those are the best i can do you can see theyre all white up top, no orange.

Quick Reply: Retarded question on rear tails for 3rd gens