Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Replacing Drive Belts

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Drive Belts

Are there any step by step guides on how to change all 3 drive belts? I would like to try and tackle this, looking for some help.

thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's not too hard, just loosen the bolts for each accessory, move them to get the belts loose, and then remove the belts. It can be a bit of a pita to get the belts over the fan but they should go. Reverse procedure for installation. Put the belt closest to the engine on first, and then the middle and lastly the outer one. You may have to use a pry bar on the accessories to get the belts tight enough. There is a fancy guage for checking tension, but usually about 1/2 inch deflection on the longest run is enough. If they are squealing tighten a bit more.

One other thing, I've tried aftermarket belts on my 4Runner and couldn't get them to stop squealing, so i would recommend getting them from the dealer. May cost a few bucks more but as they say 'silence is golden'.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 AM

My main concern is getting the belts over the fan, without having to take it off. It kind of looks like it can not be done without removing the fan or the plastic surround.

I may need a pry bar too? Don't have one of those.

Do you think this a 2 man operation?

Thanks

Last edited by ToyRider; 09-13-2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:08 AM

I have never had to take the fan off to remove any of the drive belts. They will all come over the fan.

Use a wooden pry bar (not metal), like a dowel or broom handle for the alternator. It's less likely to damage anything. That one is the hardest one to tension IMHO.

The power steering has a different setup and tensions by tightening a bolt.

I believe the A/C belt is the same way as the power steering belt, tightening with a bolt.

It is not a two man job. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:46 AM

Good information, Thank you.

I did see those tension bolts, I did assume all the setups were the same.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 AM

Oh well I can't get the tension bolts or any of the bolts to move. I did soaked them, but it didn't do anything. I'm afriad I'll snap them. lots of rust around these bolts. the threads even look pretty rusty.

But actually the belts seems ok?? How do I know if I need to replace these belts. I have 76,000 on my Taco.

I don't think I can do this!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:53 PM

If they look worn or cracked they need replaced. Let the bolts soak for a few days and every morning and evening give them another shot of BLASTER. If they still don't come loose then try to heat them first. It's also a good trick to try to tighten them just a little or work them back and forth ever so gently. Sometimes that will do the trick. Sooner or later you are going to replace belts and you may need to drill and tap if the bolts break.Not a fun project but not the end of the world either,Lol. Hope they come loose for you, Mike PS Just another good reason to use "never seize" on the bolts you replace. Some people think I own stock in the company because I "never seiz" everything, Even my break drums.

Last edited by Beartracker; 09-14-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToyRider
Oh well I can't get the tension bolts or any of the bolts to move.
I don't think I can do this!
Did you loosen the bolt in the middle of the pulley for the tensioner ?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:22 AM

The areas of the belts I can see do not seem to look cracked or worn. I wiped them down with a dry rag.

I honestly don't know what I'm doing or which bolts are going to loosen what. I thought the tension bolt were the only bolts to loosen...?

When I try to loosen any bolt I feel like I'm going to snap them. The bolts just do feel strong enough. So I don't put much force into it. I keep needing to remind myself, lefty losey, righty tighty. hehe

I will try the blaster stuff, I used wd40, it was the only spray I had at the time, maybe the blaster is better?

Thanks again everyone for advice.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:45 AM

does any one have tips on installing a supercharger drive belt?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:20 AM

There are 'lock' bolts on those on the front side. Then you loosen the tensioning bolts. Do you have a manual? You really need to get in there, get some light in there, use a mirror or whatever so you can see how each one tensions prior to just cranking on bolts. Take the skid plate off too and get some light in there and bottom access.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bobihi
does any one have tips on installing a supercharger drive belt?
Install
Tension
Kick ass

No, seriously I really have no idea. Can you help me out with some specifics, like engine type, s/c type, etc? Got pictures?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyRider
The areas of the belts I can see do not seem to look cracked or worn. I wiped them down with a dry rag.

I honestly don't know what I'm doing or which bolts are going to loosen what. I thought the tension bolt were the only bolts to loosen...?

When I try to loosen any bolt I feel like I'm going to snap them. The bolts just do feel strong enough. So I don't put much force into it. I keep needing to remind myself, lefty losey, righty tighty. hehe

I will try the blaster stuff, I used wd40, it was the only spray I had at the time, maybe the blaster is better?

Thanks again everyone for advice.
It sounds like your belts may be ok, but they will need replaced sometime in the future for sure. This is basic maintenance stuff, so those tensioners are important.

Others have said this, but I'll chime in too. The tensioners have a lock nut right in the dead center of the front of the pulley. It needs to be loosened prior to turning the adjusting screw. PB blaster is good stuff, better than WD40 in many peoples opinion.

Worst case scenario is that you will need to replace the tensioners. Call your local dealership or check e-bay for prices.

As far as turning force is concerned, it is really hard for me to know how hard you have been leaning on your wrench, so I hesitate to tell you to push harder. But push harder, these things are tight the first time they come apart. Use your best judgement of course.

BTW- What engine are we talking about?