Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Remote Start - Tach wire location and window control

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Remote Start - Tach wire location and window control

I am about to install a two-way remote starter in my 2000 4Runner SR5 Sport. I have read a lot on here from others who have done the same.

I have two questions to put out there:

I think I know how to identify and find all the wires I need under the dash to connect the unit. The exception is the tach wire. I know were to find it under the hood, but I know it must also be under the dash and I am wondering if anyone knows where it is and how to identify it. I really don’t want to have to cross the firewall, as I am sure this wire already does this if I can find it. I also don’t want to remove the gauge cluster if I can avoid it. Again, I’m sure it is under there somewhere, much more readily accessible. Even if I do remove the cluster to tap it behind there, I still don’t know how to identify it. Can anyone help?

Second, I want to do this remote starter all the way, meaning I want to use the extra buttons on it that allow for extra options. I want to wire in the ability to roll down (and up!) the rear window with the remote. I figure the best way to do it is to tap into the wires behind the switch on the dash. That whole area comes apart really easily and I can obviously easily identify the wires there. Has anyone done this before?

Most of the posts I have read about remote starters seem to be people who have only put in the remote starter. That’s great, and I’m not even there yet, but I want to take it all the way and have the windows working, the locks, all of it. Does anyone have any experience in the peripheral options and connections?

Any help would be very much appreciated before I f*@k up my truck.

Thanks.

Last edited by Tukes; 11-15-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tukes
I am about to install a two-way remote starter in my 2000 4Runner SR5 Sport. I have read a lot on here from others who have done the same.

I have two questions to put out there:

I think I know how to identify and find all the wires I need under the dash to connect the unit. The exception is the tach wire. I know were to find it under the hood, but I know it must also be under the dash and I am wondering if anyone knows where it is and how to identify it. I really don’t want to have to cross the firewall, as I am sure this wire already does this if I can find it. I also don’t want to remove the gauge cluster if I can avoid it. Again, I’m sure it is under there somewhere, much more readily accessible. Even if I do remove the cluster to tap it behind there, I still don’t know how to identify it. Can anyone help?

Second, I want to do this remote starter all the way, meaning I want to use the extra buttons on it that allow for extra options. I want to wire in the ability to roll down (and up!) the rear window with the remote. I figure the best way to do it is to tap into the wires behind the switch on the dash. That whole area comes apart really easily and I can obviously easily identify the wires there. Has anyone done this before?

Most of the posts I have read about remote starters seem to be people who have only put in the remote starter. That’s great, and I’m not even there yet, but I want to take it all the way and have the windows working, the locks, all of it. Does anyone have any experience in the peripheral options and connections?

Any help would be very much appreciated before I f*@k up my truck.

Thanks.

In the OBD II connector loom.

David
Old 11-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the site you want for all the help you need on aux features (window roll ups, trunk poppers, etc)....
www.the12volt.com

You can also look at the pics in my sig for help.

To find the tach wire you need a multimeter, probe for a wire who's voltage varies with engine rpm (you need to prob while engine is running and throttle position is varied).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-15-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Banned

if i were you, i'd go here and download all the electrical diagrams (and other stuff) for your 4runner.

http://techinfo.toyota.com/

it costs $10 for 24 hours, so pay and download everything, whether you need it now or not. the electrical diagrams will really help in the future, and it'll show you what wires do what in the window switch. having this resource is well worth the $10 in my opinion.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
In the OBD II connector loom.

David

I'm not familiar with this. Can you provide more details, please?