Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rear Window Relay Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear Window Relay Question

So, I finally got around to pulling out the rear window relay circuit board. I figured I'd use 4crawler's tips and fix it. My window works in every way possible except when trying to roll it up with the key at the tailgate; there's not even a relay click.

But when I pulled it out, I discovered that I have six relays, not four. Four of these relays are the same, two have a different part number and are *slightly* larger.

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera to snap a picture or I would.

Thing is, I noticed that my relays are rated for 12V (no duh). The relays that 4crawler (and others) recommend are rated at 7-9 VDC. Should I be concerned with this rating (has RadioShack changed it lately?)... or just stick it in and see if it works?

I do have to try to figure out which relay is fried first....figure my 12V power supply will come in handy for that.

Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, it's my '95 4Runner.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
There is another relay listed on the web page, an Omron unit. Not sure is RS changed the relay specs or is just giving the minimum voltage to turn on the relay. Most relays will pull in with about 1/2 the rated voltage applied. Also, the 2nd gen relays do have 6 relays as noted on the page. That part is below the 1st gen section. You should first confirm the the rear key switch signal is reaching the relay module before tearing it apart. WOuld be a lot of work to go through replacing a relay only to find out you have a wiring or switch problem.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Injohneer
So, I finally got around to pulling out the rear window relay circuit board. I figured I'd use 4crawler's tips and fix it. My window works in every way possible except when trying to roll it up with the key at the tailgate; there's not even a relay click.

But when I pulled it out, I discovered that I have six relays, not four. Four of these relays are the same, two have a different part number and are *slightly* larger.

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera to snap a picture or I would.

Thing is, I noticed that my relays are rated for 12V (no duh). The relays that 4crawler (and others) recommend are rated at 7-9 VDC. Should I be concerned with this rating (has RadioShack changed it lately?)... or just stick it in and see if it works?

I do have to try to figure out which relay is fried first....figure my 12V power supply will come in handy for that.

Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, it's my '95 4Runner.

I had same problem last summer at my ´94 Runner. The failure was the fire at rear door lock, second was corrosied. I cut a piece off and tined it back.

Mine rear wiper doesn´t work and when I tried to find the problem, now rear window doesn´t work either. I take the picture of the rear door relay box:

The 4 relays are same than at 4crawler´s picture:

I´m planning to renew them also. The lower ones (under the rubber) have a different part number, I think they are rear window motor relays.

Last edited by -MaTTi-; 05-22-2005 at 03:11 AM.