Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rattle/wind noise @ 50 mph & up

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle/wind noise @ 50 mph & up

OK, I have searched here and my truck for the last few weeks and cannot find the source of this noise. I think it's wind generated since it always happens at 50+ mph and when there is a strong cross wind. It's coming from the front passenger side, and it sounds like something is loose, metal hitting metal (like a box of rocks jumbling around). I am pretty sure it's outside and not inside the cab, so it's probably not the weather stripping. I know it's hard to diagnose rattles without actually hearing them, but I am hoping someone has had this problem and will chime in. I wish I could better describe what it's doing. I have a 2001 Limited 4WD. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
roof rack? sunroof?

i dont have this issue.
try having someone else drive while you scramble around to locate the source.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:06 PM

Rattle Noise

CHECK THAT YOUR SEATBELT ISN'T HANGING OUT PASS DOOR.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Maj

If you have the Lexan wind deflector the screws might have come loose. Mine does it every couple of years. Was difficult to locate the source of the noise until I had my sunroof open one day.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, I can't hear my passenger sometimes because of the rattling/vibrating/shaking of random stuff in my 4Runner. Check that your bolts are tight on everything that has room to scoot around. Maybe somewhere behind your glove box?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 PM

I know this is old, but I'm experiencing the exact same thing! Cant figure it out to save my life...

Did you ever track this noise down??

Thanks for any help.

James
Old 08-15-2007, 10:34 PM

might look to the right front wheel well, lots of stuff that can flap in the wind in there.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks for reply!

I have gone over the wheel well with a fine toothed comb for the most part.
I have checked the heat guard for the CAT and the CAT itself.... no go.

I guess I'm gonna have to have the wife drive while I stand on my head in the passenger seat and try to narrow it down even further.

Thanks again.

James
Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM

James - I have the same noise too....sounds like a bag of small pieces of metal banging around somewhere behind the glovebox - I pulled off the passenger side door panel but could not find any problems. Let me know if you find out what it is - my runner is pretty dang quiet except for this noise....
Old 08-16-2007, 05:36 PM

1)Make sure the rubber pieces on the frame that cover access into engine bay are not loose & flapping in the wind.2)Very simple but overlooked,make sure the hold down screws for the roof rack cross bars are all tight.3)Just for good measure push the very front cross bar back closer to the back one.45-50 mine has a whistle-rattle type noise caused by the rack.I've learned to live with but sometimes it still irritates-the wife never notices it.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:03 PM

Solved..but not sure how.

Okay, I made the irritating "vibration-rattle" noise go away, but not sure EXACTLY which of my actions did it. I'll give you a rundown of what I did.

1. Took the center console completely apart. Pushed and pulled on everything inside of it and put it all back together again.

2. Found three quarters and a penny which had dropped down into a crack next to the passanger seat floor mount on the center hump side. They were almost un-noticable until I stood on my head on the back floorboard with a flashlight and just barely noticed them. (I remember when they dropped, about the same time this noise started). It was a bear to get them out! Had to use one of those 3-fingered, long grippy things on the end of a wire to get them.... ONE AT A TIME!.

3. Pushed and pulled on everything under the passanger seat including the rear heater fan.

Now my Runner is quiet again at speeds over 50 mph. I really think that the loose change was "buzzing" against the passanger seat floor mount when the Runner hit a certain "harmonic vibration" which coincided with 50+ mph.
Then again, it could have been something I pushed or pullled under the center console.

I know this isn't a definitive answer, and that this noise can drive you crazy when you know what to listen for.... I only hope that these steps might help someone else to end the madness also.

Again.. look for ANYTHING that might have dropped down and got caught next to a seat mount first... I think this was it.

Good luck!

James
Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Okay then.... after 3 glorious days of silence while driving on the highway.... the damn "flapping-buzzing-bag of bottle caps" noise came back... and with a vegeance.

So, just forget about my wonderful news of fixing this problem... cause it ain't fixed yet.

Now I'm gonna go "Josey Wales" on my Runner and mean... dirty mad-dog mean... Gonna put it on a lift tomorrow and it ain't comin down til I find out what the he!! this noise is.

I'll report back if I don't go catatonic trying to find the rattle.

Oh yeah.. if there is anyone, and I mean even a little kid, who has this problem and can tell me what it is... PLEASE post it up!!

Thanks,

James
Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 PM

'Got-er-done'

Yeee Haawww!

Well, I spent most of today tearing my Runner apart to find this awful noise.
Here's a run-down for those who might be interested:
1. Pulled the dash apart almost all the way to the firewall...behind glove box as well as behind center area.
2. Used the vibrating box from my infant son's "vibrating seat" thingy and turned it on against the dash and other parts to see if I could recreate the vibration inside the dash.
3. Using the vibrating box, I was able to identify rattles and buzzes that I had grown accustomed to. I then used black, thin foam material with 3M backing on it (don't know what the stuff is actually called, but you can pick it up at craft stores). I lined every damn thing inside my dash as well as zip-tied all loose wires up to something nice and tight.
4. I found that two of the little, metal "rods" that move vent doors and such had enough play in them that they buzzed like a saw when vibrated. I wrapped them in foam stuff to shut them up.
5. Working my way back out, I lined the area between the stereo and the din slot, back side of the the faceplates for the stereo and HVAC controls as well as the center cover itself.
6. IMPORTANT>>> One thing I also discovered was that my 7 year old Blower Motor Resistor had shattered apart and dropped little chunks of white ceramic crap into the bottom of the condensor bowl. These little gems were also vibrating around in there against the plastic bowl. (It was fun picking them out through the resistor hole). I replaced the resistor with new from dealer.<<<<<
7. ALSO IMPORTANT>>> Once all was tightly put back together inside, I turned my attention underneath again. Using the vibrating box against the inside of the fender well, I was able to find that the plastic liner part of the fender well was vibrating (probably at speed from wind also). I used very flat headed sheet metal screws and screwed that baby up tight also. (Both sides)

After all of this, I took it out for the fateful "test-drive"....

Silence..quieter than it has been in years!! (Except for the growling of my mud terrains on the highway)

One more note. The main little metal "push-bar" that was vibrating was found by looking under the glove box toward the center, all the way to the back by the firewall. It was on the bottom almost against the carpet.

Of all these things (even though it was all worth doing), I think that screwing down the darn fender-well lining is what finally solved it.

Hope this helps someone else searching for this "elusive" rattle.

James