Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

questions...PLEASE help!! thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions...PLEASE help!! thanks!

i have been looking to get a 1985 toyota 4runner for a while now...i finnally found one that i can afford. it has over 300,000 miles on the stock enigne , no rebuilds, new timming chain. the 5spd tranny needs a rebuild. it pops out of fourth and makes noise in the other gears. he is asking 800 but mentioned osmeone offering 400 and he might take it if it does sell in a little while...this is the description of it... Limo tint on rear and rear side windows - California legal - no tint on
driver or passenger's windows - tint on rear window has bubbled
Moonroof doesn't leak.
PB work
PS works
Power windows work
Rear defroster works
Rear wiper works

Leaks oil and may burn some too - about 1 qt every 500 miles
Radiator leaks
A/C doesn't work - unknown problem, possibly electrical
Some paint (ie. hood) is rustoleum - as paint faded and rust started, I
sanded rust off and painted over to prevent further damage.
Some rust, no apparent rust through
Some carpet stains
Windshield cracked; sometimes leaks at top seal during hard rain
Sometimes difficult to turn key in ignition
Driver's outside door handle sticks
Driver's seat belt doesn't retract well - one rear seat belt has similar
problem.
Hole in headliner over rear seat
4WD light flashes on intermittently when in 2WD
CD/AM/FM - speakers are in poor condition - power antenna bent
Rear window only closes using console switch - opens with either key in
tailgate or console switch
Console armrest missing
Shift knob stitching loose
Steering wheel isn't 'straight' - truck drives forward with wheel at slight
angle (not upside down as pictured)

As is - no guarantees at all - may or may not pass California emissions.
Replaced catalytic 2 yrs ago to get it through emissions. Muffler & tail
pipe are also relatively new.

what would the 4wd flashing light mean?
the leaking oil might be the head gasket or what? since he mentions that there is coolant leaking also...

if i could get it for 500 should i?
keep in mind this is NOT gunna be my daily driver...just a project for a sweet trail rig someday!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

go there and give him $400 cash to match the other offer. if he baulks, fold up your money and start walking away. he should be very quick about reconsidering your offer when you do that. once the deal is completed, get busy reading waskilly's posts on his 85 rig, even with the problems you mentioned, they are repairable. if you have the time and are willing to learn how to do some of the work yourself, you will save some money over having someone else do the work and charge you large. you had better get a part time job!!

lee
Old 12-06-2004, 05:59 PM

Go for it IF you want a project. And this sounds like a big one. Personally I would look for one in better shape because you're going to shell out a lot of extra money anyway just to get this one in service again. So you might as well save yourself some work!

But if it's all you can find in your price range, more power to ya!
Old 12-06-2004, 07:46 PM

Talking

get it and rebuild the motor put a used trany in it and start fixin the small things and wheel the out of it. lockrights help. sounds like a steal to me.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:42 PM

i dont know why you guys are saying that this is gunna be a big project...rebuilding the tranny and engine are minor compared to what i have planed! btw i am 17 i go to college full time and i work full time....
Old 12-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Banned

so is this going t obe a you cant spend any $ on it or what? i have a clutch, engine swap, and head gasket under my belt on the 22r engine and might be able to help you out on stuff if you need me to...
Old 12-06-2004, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
so is this going t obe a you cant spend any $ on it or what? i have a clutch, engine swap, and <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=head%20gasket" onmouseover="window.status='head gasket'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">head gasket</a> under my belt on the 22r engine and might be able to help you out on stuff if you need me to...
i have money....im just gunna be searching ebay and craigslist for the best deals....u know jim...around here toyotas sell for WAY more than anywhere else....look what u payed for your 85..... i could always use an extra hand!
Old 12-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Banned

yeah but my truck was in good condition and i knew the owner.... i have since basically rebuilt the whole truck, but thats becasue i beat the crap out of it... and it keeps going... but eventually when you are like me, stuff brakes....
Old 12-06-2004, 09:13 PM

this is the same engine as urs correct? how much did ur "rebuild" cost ya in parts?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Banned

carb or efi? if its efi, its a little bit differnt... but not by much...... i didnt rebuild my whole engine however, i did swap the one my truck came with for one i got @ a wrecker..... and a year later, did the head on it... that was actually last month ...

the swap engine was $650 --however, now i think i could get one in better condition really cheap for about $300 ... and it costed me about $500 to do all the head stuff that i jsut did... but the head is machined, had a valve job done, tested, new valve seats, all that jazz, went with a factory toyota overhual kit which was $170 alone! for the gasket sets... but the yota gaskets are beefier than any aftermarket ones i have seen......
Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 AM

i can get oem stuff pretty cheap, if this thing is leaking 1qrt every 500 miles something is wrong...what would it be?
and whats with the 4wd flashing...? is the transfercase shorting out? or is it messed up?
this is the EFI btw....

Last edited by Jared Ajlouny; 12-07-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:49 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
[[whats with the 4wd flashing...? is the transfercase shorting out? or is it messed up?]]

There's nothing in the transfer case to short out. There is nothing electronic or electrical in the transfer case on an 85, there is only a switch for the light. It doesn't connect to any brain or modules, so the light can't be flashing.

[[i dont know why you guys are saying that this is gunna be a big project...rebuilding the tranny and engine are minor compared to what i have planed!]]

Okay, so if you're so knowlegeable why are you asking these questions?

[[ if this thing is leaking 1qrt every 500 miles something is wrong...what would it be?]]

Maybe it's the THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES! Combined with the utterly obvious fact that it has not been cared for in the slightest.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:48 AM

>>Power windows work
Rear defroster works<<

Uh, what? I wasn't aware than any '85 4Runners came with either of these options. Then again, I like the no option utility style 4Runners so maybe I'm wrong.
This is a solid front axle rig right? If it is, $400 is pretty much the junkyard price for a rig in that bad of shape. The good thing is, you'd never find one in a junkyard. If you have time, mechanical ability and $ falling out your and this isn't actually an '86 or newer, and all you really want is a beater to go out in the hills with some day in the near future, then go for it.
If, as you put it, you found a truck you can finally afford and this is what you can afford, time to walk away. You can't afford this.
Even with spending some time and effort on someplace like Pirate4x4.com where the guys over there are selling off stock 4Runner parts at fairly decent prices and many of them in the California area you're looking at something close to couple grand to get that old tired pig back on the road and safe to drive.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:33 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
My 85 had power windows and rear window defroster, plus rear seat heater and tilt wheel and cruise control and intermittent wipers and full gauges and a nice cloth interior.... they called that model SR5, and options were a kickass stereo and a sunroof and 8 way adjustable seats and chrome trim. I had those too.

[[If, as you put it, you found a truck you can finally afford and this is what you can afford, time to walk away. You can't afford this.
Even with spending some time and effort on someplace like Pirate4x4.com where the guys over there are selling off stock 4Runner parts at fairly decent prices and many of them in the California area you're looking at something close to couple grand to get that old tired pig back on the road and safe to drive.]]

Agreed. Totally.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 12-07-2004 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:55 PM

Jared,

In CA it is the sellers responsibility to get a SMOG certificate. Unless it's a planned non-op vehicle.

If it has a straight body and the axles & transfer-case are in good shape it's worth it right there. Just know you have a loooooong road ahead of you if you do get it!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:10 PM

thanks sean....you know how much these things go for around here....there is one with 230k miles the guy is asking 4k and he wont budge on price and there is another guy askiing 3500 for a beat up one and he wont budge....i can get a rebuild tranny for around 300 bucks...so 700 bucks i have a running one than i just have to look for a running engine out of a totaled one and sell this engine or just rebuild this engine and i will have one with a good engine and tranny for around 1.5k... an engine is an engine....the older the easier to work one... i can rebuild jet ski engines with my eyes closed...im sure i can spend a month and tear this one apart!!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 04:59 PM

Jared, if there's any way you can afford to get a rebuilt tranny from Marlin I would, they upgrade it nicely, I think it's worth the extra $$$. Otherwise I'd look for uses trannies at pick & pull on So 1st St. or wherever really.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:27 PM

if you can rebuild jet ski motors that easly then you can do this one. and put in a used trany. work on the little things and it will be a good truck.