Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question for those with 7th Injectors ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koda4
Thanks TRDOLMAN for your quick response.

I don't know for a fact that my open loop AFR changed over a period of time.
I just know that when I did a log yesterday I saw it go from 12.0 and made a bell shaped curve going to around 13.0 then back to around 12.5 while doing a test at WOT. I made an assumption that Brian made it pretty flat at around 12.0 at WOT in open loop but I do not know for sure

What about closed loop and the AIC. I personally have not experienced any performance problems except for lately the poor gas mileage in city driving. My last tank was averaging around 10 mpg with normal city driving.

I'm going to test disconnecting the AIC(so easy to do) and run just the 7th again for awhile and see if my mpg come up.

I found this info that states the Long FT affects open loop.
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h44.pdf

This looks like a Toyota document. Look towards the end of this PDF file under Long FT.

BTW
I found a very easy way to hook up a fuel pressure sender if you have the older style 7th injector. The older style has an 1/8 npt plug on top of the injector block(newer ones don't have this plug). I put in a 45 degree 1/8 npt fitting connected to a fuel pressure sender.

KODA4
Koda, I read the info you linked to. That probably is correct about short term trims eventually affecting long term trims and ultimately long term trims affecting open loop AFRs. You have to remember something however. We, with the 7th and the AIC, are not adjusting any main load sensor such as the MAF or A/F sensor like the fuel kit guys are. Those guys have to be DAMN careful to try and zero out their fuel trims especially in the "most of the time driving areas" or the ECM will adjust and change the long term trims and therefore change open loop AFRs. (I think I said that right). We are using the MAP sensor built into the AIC and adjusting only in boost and only one injector that is not "wired" to the ECM. 90 percent of the time we don't drive in boost so settings that we have made to the AIC in the boost ranges of closed loop should not have much affect on long term trims or open loop. You are never in boost for long durations. Once you are below 0 psi in normal driving the AIC is out of the picture and "normal" ST and LT trims should stabilize if they were negatively affected by us adding fuel in the closed loop section of early boost range.

Now if you are really worried about the fuel added by the AIC in the closed loop portion of boost eventually messing with your open loop AFRs you could do this: Install the URD AFR calibrator which will modify the A/F sensor readings to fool the ECM into thinking all is stoic. Zero out the fuel map on the AIC. Tune the calibrator starting in closed loop early boost to gradually richen toward 12.0 and open loop. Then go back and tune the open loop portion with the AIC. Make sense?

I personally don't think the AIC tuning is causing your gas mileage problems. You should be able to check by simply pulling the negative battery cable and resetting you ECM. See what your mileage is after that. You said city driving so you shouldn't be in boost very much. If your mileage doesn't change then you know you need to find another cause. Going back to the TRD control of the injector might not answer much for you. The 7th without AIC control runs normally very rich in open loop and you don't know whether it activates sooner or later than the AIC so comparing MPG between the two setups will be tough and might mask the real gas mileage villian.

If I'm talking out of my ass on this, someone please straighten me out because this is the way I understand it as of now.

And Mark, call it an ECU, ECM, or "computer thingy"---it's all good