Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

question about warn hubs for my 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about warn hubs for my 4runner

hello everyone. I have a 1995 toyota 4runner 4wd. With my 4wd, the front axles are always turning on that truck so i am loosing gas mileage and power, since the engine has to turn them as well. I was looking at a kit warn makes where u can lock and unlock the hubs for my suv so that then the axles wont always spin, which would save me gas.But someone told me that since the front axles are used to always turning, ,if i put that warn kit on there which will unlock the axles from always turning, my axles will freeze and when i go to lock them in the winter or whenever they wont move. does anyone know if that will happen because i would like to put the huhbs on my truck to save gas, but if it will make my axles freeze i dont want to do it. please help, thanks alot. Jon
Old 04-19-2003, 03:45 PM

The 3rd gen 4runners need an expensive kit to allow manual hubs. 2nd gen 4runners like yours and mine and their corresponding trucks can just have their hubs swapped. You will gain some power and save a lot of wear and tear with manual hubs. Most of us have switched to the factory AISIN hubs because they are supposed to be the strongest. I noticed a nice improvement in power and my gas mileage went up too.

Will it hurt your axles? No, your gears are sitting in gear oil and as long as you occasionally switch into 4WD everything will get lubricated. Your CV have their oil inside their boots so you don't have to worry about them.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

I have the Warn hubs on my 90 4Runner and I didn't experience any freezing problems in the years I lived in Colorado. Your 4Runner will steer better and have a wee bit more power since the front axles aren't turning all the time.
There's been several posts recently on people installing Asin hubs too, might check out that data as well.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:05 PM

Re: question about warn hubs for my 4runner

Originally posted by J95runner
someone told me that since the front axles are used to always turning, ,if i put that warn kit on there which will unlock the axles from always turning, my axles will freeze and when i go to lock them in the winter or whenever they wont move.
Phhhtttt!! What Mook made that up? Get a hold of "Toyotapartsdude" here on the forum. He just stated he had some Aisins for 60 bucks a pair + shipping.
Get the hubs, rebuild them (simple deal) and put them on your rig (another simple deal) You wont regret it. It's a great way to start modding your Toyota.
Have fun...
Old 04-19-2003, 06:09 PM

Don't forget to get them off an IFS rig too. The solid axle hubs won't fit.

That was my first mod to my 2nd gen. Good little project.

Good luck,

Warren
Old 04-19-2003, 06:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skydigger
[B]Don't forget to get them off an IFS rig too. The solid axle hubs won't fit.

Wow, thanks for that little bit of info, I was thinking about changing mine.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:26 AM
CTB

Ya, the axle spline count is different for IFS and solid axle rigs.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:37 AM

thanks for your help guys
Old 04-21-2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by CTB
Ya, the axle spline count is different for IFS and solid axle rigs.
Can anyone tell me what the axle spline count is for an IFS and for a solid axle????
Old 04-22-2003, 02:37 AM
Contributing Member

The spline count for Solid is 30 and for IFS is 26. The solid axle is also a bit wider than the IFS.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by delboy
The spline count for Solid is 30 and for IFS is 26. The solid axle is also a bit wider than the IFS.
Mahalo delboy.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

well before I found this kingdom of info I put some(warn hubs hubs) on my truck. They may not be AISIN hubs and I did pay 89.00 at ORW (San Diego) not $60 online like a smart guy.
They have worked well so far and have proven their strength to me in the many stupid things we all do to our rides.
My truck was driven and towed for a total of 6215 miles in 29 days, from San Diego to Canada and back. Through most of the northwest, during some huge storms. whistler/blackholm was getting snow in droves when we pulled in, and had recorded 2 1/2 ' and still counting three days later when we were pulling out towards Jackson hole. They got 4' in one storm and 2' in the next, and steamboat springs had a 3' storm and two days later a 4' storm. snow was everywhere. no freezing hubs or axels. The frnt hubs were a bit hard to turn with cold hands and the "little groves" plugged with ICE. I was wanting to stop and make the things I had for the jeep but never did.
for the jeep I had made some hub helpes out of 1 1/2" PVC cutting notches out for the high points in the slotted turn part of the hub and wrapping non-skid tape around the hand side.
Do the AISIN hubs have a turn notched dial thing or a whole round thing to turn for locking and unlocking??
Having the truck with the frnt hubs in "unlock/2WD" was much more enjoyable and a huge savings for gas, almost 2 mpg improvement.
its much more like driving your truck than guiding your truck.
do they call the stock hubs A D D hubs??
Because I think thats my wifes pet name for me...A D D boy!!
Old 06-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

Question Victor, do i need the kit?

Originally posted by Victor
The 3rd gen 4runners need an expensive kit to allow manual hubs. 2nd gen 4runners like yours and mine and their corresponding trucks can just have their hubs swapped. You will gain some power and save a lot of wear and tear with manual hubs. Most of us have switched to the factory AISIN hubs because they are supposed to be the strongest. I noticed a nice improvement in power and my gas mileage went up too.
I have a 94 SR5 and while looking at various online parts vendors (macromotive, aac parts, and PP) they have a note saying you NEED the kit for 2nd gens. I was confused by this because this would bring the whole bill to 200+- .

I know I'm whining but I kinda wanted the warns.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

They told me that too. I went to ORW yesterday to buy Warn hubs--went to junk yards looking for Aisin, but nobody has them.
They told me I need a $70.00 kit to make them work--whats the deal??

I put Warn hubs on my old 88 pathfinder in about 30 min, no kit needed, just a gasket that came with the hubs.

Someone let me know whats up. And where to get Aisins.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Guy's, anyone looking for Aisin manual hubs, please see this post.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&postid=101389
Old 06-08-2003, 10:59 AM
CTB

If anyone is interested, I may have an extra set of Aisin's available pretty soon. Please email (not PM) me if you are interested and we can discuss further.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:29 PM

Re: question about warn hubs for my 4runner

Originally posted by J95runner
hello everyone. I have a 1995 toyota 4runner 4wd. With my 4wd, the front axles are always turning on that truck so i am loosing gas mileage and power, since the engine has to turn them as well. I was looking at a kit warn makes where u can lock and unlock the hubs for my suv so that then the axles wont always spin, which would save me gas.But someone told me that since the front axles are used to always turning, ,if i put that warn kit on there which will unlock the axles from always turning, my axles will freeze and when i go to lock them in the winter or whenever they wont move. does anyone know if that will happen because i would like to put the huhbs on my truck to save gas, but if it will make my axles freeze i dont want to do it. please help, thanks alot. Jon
The owners manual reccomends driving at least something like 10 miles a month in 4wd anyway to keep things lubricated. I've never heard of anybody having problems otherwise, but if the manual says to do it it can't be a bad idea. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that with my truck - it gets that and then some!
Old 06-08-2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Marc P
They told me that too. I went to ORW yesterday to buy Warn hubs--went to junk yards looking for Aisin, but nobody has them.
They told me I need a $70.00 kit to make them work--whats the deal??

I put Warn hubs on my old 88 pathfinder in about 30 min, no kit needed, just a gasket that came with the hubs.

Someone let me know whats up. And where to get Aisins.
They probably think they are to replace auto-locking hubs. For trucks that have those you must have the kit. But ADD is different - the stock hubs are actually always locked. When you put on locking hubs, the locked position is actually just like stock (weird, huh?). So the Warns should just drop right in just like they would drop right in in place of Aisins on a truck that had them stock. Of course research farther - I'm just speculating. But a pair that would just drop in in place of Aisins should just drop into ADD just like the Aisins do, right?

I'm sure the Warn hubs are excellent - it's just that the Aisins are just as good (what could be better than indestructible?) and cheaper.

Chris

Last edited by GV27; 06-08-2003 at 06:20 PM.