Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Question about starter issue on 98 Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about starter issue on 98 Tacoma

Greetings. This is my first post here.

I saw a lot of posts about starter issues. But I seem to have something unique. My starter (98 Tacoma, 2WD, 4 cyl, 2.4 L, reg cab, 5-speed) acted up a few months ago, it needs two tries to start it (first one just a click); It's been getting worse and worse and needs more tries to start it. On Christmas day, when I tried to start it, the starter won't stop, it keeps running even after I took the key off; I had to disconnect the power.

I diconnected the relay wire (the only wire other than the big power wire on the starter), and when I tried to connect the battery, the starter did the same thing, trying to start it (no key, no one stepping on clutch).

Up till this point, it's just what other posts described. Next I took the starter out, and went to Autozone (and later Advanced Auto Parts), they did test on the starter, they all told me the starter is fine. (Autozone did not test solenoid, I forgot to ask solenoid test at Advance auto parts.)

After I came back home, I went down there and asked my son to turn the key and step on the clutch, I can see there is power from the relay wire when he did that, so to me the key switch and relay are working.

I am very puzzled here. At this moment, it seems all parts are working (except the Solenoid as they did not test it). What could've gone wrong? The solenoid? The contact/plunger?

I tend to replace the whole starter, as I don't think the contact/plunger would have caused the starter to keep running. (I did open it and saw the contacts are pretty worn out), I think it's the solenoid, but I am not sure.

Could you guys please give me some advice/explanation on this?

Hope I am making myself clear here.

Thanks so much!!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It only happens with the key in the ignition? If so then while your turning it to start postion and letting go for the to pop back to "run" postion its prob sticking. Not unless the starter was still running after key off and or out. I'd check all wires and grounds. I'd replace the starter. I would buy a new one reguardless of what the tests told you. All that does is test to see if its working. If its working at times its not supose to then yea thats an issue. It's prob got a short in the windings. If a new starter does not work take it back and get one with a life time warranty.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Thanks Kiroshu. It happens when key's out too.
So the tests don't tell much, that's what I am scratching my head for. I think I will just go ahead and get a new one.
One more question, to put the new one on, do I need to prep the gear (grease, etc)? Or I just need to stick it in and gear up with flywheel?

Thanks again!!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Should just throw then new one on with nothing else required. Yea just spin it (by hand) until it matches the flywheel. Then bolt her on.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, I'll bet the wiring inside the starter is fried and shorting out. Get a new one. I personally wouldn't take a "lifetime" starter over an OEM, unless you want to be replacing it a lot over your lifetime.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:50 PM

Thanks to both of you.
I will get one tomorrow and will update back.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM

I had the same issue of the starter stuck 'on' even with the key out. In my case, the copper contacts had been severely worn and I guess the plunger was essentially getting stuck. I replaced the contacts and its been fine since.
I'll bet if you open it up, you'll see just that.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 AM

Thanks Masato. I did open it up and the contacts were indeed worn; I got a new starter this morning and put it on. Before, I could not even try to connect the battery as it will start the starter. Once I put the new one in, everything seems to be back to normal. Except one thing, when I try to start, there is this noise, like gear sound, for very short time, once the engine starts, it's gone. I am pretty sure I have screwed the bolts tight. Is this a concern? Or it needs some kind of break-in?
Thanks so much!!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Masato
I had the same issue of the starter stuck 'on' even with the key out. In my case, the copper contacts had been severely worn and I guess the plunger was essentially getting stuck. I replaced the contacts and its been fine since.
I'll bet if you open it up, you'll see just that.
Yep, common symptom of worn contacts:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#Introduction

Either the plunger gets stuck by the step on the contacts or more common with unevenly worn contacts is that the plunger gets "cocked" as it sits on the two unevenly worn contacts (one side higher than the other side) and gets hung up on the bore of the solenoid.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 AM

I wish I had read more here about the contacts; I would have gone for a repair kit had it not been freezing cold here in the past few days (18F today), I just wanted to get over with it so I went for the new starter. At least I'd saved couple of hundred dollars comparing to having a repair shop do it (towing + labor), am happy , except that noise. Please let me know if that's something I need to worry.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM

I can't comment on the noise you're hearing other than to specualte that if its an aftermarket starter, maybe that's just the sounds it makes when it fires up. You indicated that apart from that, everything appears to work fine so I wouldn't be overly concerned myself if you're satisfied that you reinstalled it correctly. I my case, I went to the dealer and they picked through the parts bin to find matching contacts and that's all I replaced on mine. Everything else is still original and I've had no troubles since and no apparent changes to the sound. Its been at least 3 years since I did this and no troubles. Glad to hear you're back on the road.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:00 PM

The noise happens during cranking time? Its the starter wining its normal. It will prob go away after a while. What kind of starter did you get?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 PM

It's a duralast(?), the only one Autozone carries, I think.
It only happens like at the end of the starter sound, like you hear normal starter sound, then this noise (kinda like you keep the key at start position when the engine is running, only very light sound), and then it goes away and engine runs and everything back to normal. The noise only lasts for about 1 sec.
Is there anything that I need adjust?

Thanks,
Old 01-05-2010, 04:17 PM

I'd say "Let that sleeping dog lay." Its fine, sounds like the starter still spinning while returning back. Unless it gets loader or you hear worse sounds then look into it.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Pull it, check the contacts, if they get low enough maybe they can fuse? new plunger is proably needed.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:56 AM

I really don't want to take it out again, it's hard to take out/put in through the wheel well; have to bend the break line a little bit which I don't like. I think I will just let it there for some time and see if it goes away; I just hope it's not going to do any damage on the flywheel (knock on wood).

Thanks again for all your help.