Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

PP 1 inch lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PP 1 inch lowering springs

Hi,
I have recently ordered a set of PP lowering springs. Since doing a search, i read that the 4wd height is 1 inch higher than the 2wd (my truck is 2wd).
I also have the bilsteins shocks all around.

I know that the springs will fit my 4runner since 2wd springs and 4wd springs are supposed to be interchangeable.

My questions are, since i have bilsteins and i know they raised the truck up a tad since they have a high rebound pressure, will the lowering springs lower my truck any? Or will they stay the same as stock?

Also, what's the ride/cornering qualities that some of you have experienced with PP springs on a 2wd truck? Is the ride/ cornering better than stock?

thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same springs and also have a 2wd. i highly doubt it will lower it. i had to cut a coil to actually get lower. i have the same combo with the bilsteins. it does have a much firmer ride and reduces body roll a bit. my stock rear springs/shocks would bounce alot it basically eliminated that floaty feeling in the rear.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by gn86r
i have the same springs and also have a 2wd. i highly doubt it will lower it. i had to cut a coil to actually get lower. i have the same combo with the bilsteins. it does have a much firmer ride and reduces body roll a bit. my stock rear springs/shocks would bounce alot it basically eliminated that floaty feeling in the rear.
Is it a "rough" or a harsh ride by any means?

and did you cut the front and the rear? is it safe to do that?
Old 02-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Banned

cutting springs is bad... heating them up is even worse... get the right springs for your application.....

if you are an enthusiast and lower your truck, most of the time it means the ride will be harsher... especially when lower profile tires and larger rims are involved
Old 02-07-2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
cutting springs is bad... heating them up is even worse... get the right springs for your application.....

if you are an enthusiast and lower your truck, most of the time it means the ride will be harsher... especially when lower profile tires and larger rims are involved
Ok... if i decide not to use the PP springs. Will the addco swaybars have the same effect? basically reducing body roll, more highway stability, but also maintaining a comfortable ride?

For those of you who have the addco sway bar and polyurethane bushings, do they squeek?

thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 05:17 AM

I have the Performance Product springs and the Addco sway bars. The springs do lower the vehicle a little and improve performance. The sway bars are great but squeak excessively. To address, I replaced the sway bar bushings with greasable bushings and this corrected the problem.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Alin10123
...Will the addco swaybars have the same effect? basically reducing body roll, more highway stability, but also maintaining a comfortable ride?
The Addco's will reduce body roll & improve highway stability, but as far as the comfortable ride goes that's a function of shocks, springs, & your tire/wheel setup.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Nocron
I have the Performance Product springs and the Addco sway bars. The springs do lower the vehicle a little and improve performance. The sway bars are great but squeak excessively. To address, I replaced the sway bar bushings with greasable bushings and this corrected the problem.
This is on a 4x2 we are talking about that it will lower the vehicle a little bit?
and which have a better ride, oem or the lowering springs?

Last edited by Alin10123; 02-08-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:38 AM
AUJWE

If you are planning on using the PP lowering springs with 2WD Bilsteins you might run into a problem, in the front. I know that the PP lift springs were designed to fit the 4WD front Bilsteins and aren't compatible with 2WD front Bilsteins. If the lowering springs are the same way then you will need 4WD front Bilsteins. The 2WD/4WD rears are the same part #, only the fronts are different. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74

cutting progressive rate springs is bad... it will stiffen the ride

cutting linear rate springs will do nothing other than lower the car/truck

jackasses in hondas cut their springs and don't upgrade the shocks, therefore the car rides like poo
Old 02-08-2005, 03:13 PM

so basically what i'm hearing is "stay away from PP lowering springs" on a 4x2 truck?

Based on some of these responses. Am i hearing this correctly?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:45 PM
AUJWE

so basically what i'm hearing is "stay away from PP lowering springs" on a 4x2 truck?

Sounds like the best plan. Try some Addco swaybars and greaseable bushings. Read up here: J.A.'s 4Runner Site
Old 02-09-2005, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pp lowering springs will work fine on a 2wd with the 2wd bilsteins. if it didnt, i wouldnt have it on my own truck. supposedly the 4wd bilsteins are a tad longer. there is no difference on how the shock is mounted in the truck between the two. imo, if you can get the springs at a decent price or less than the 370.00 pp wants to charge, then get them. ive bought lowering springs for a few cars and i have no idea why they are more expensive for a 4runner. hopefully ill run across a deal on the sway bars soon.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:52 AM

pp lowering springs will work fine on a 2wd with the 2wd bilsteins. if it didnt, i wouldnt have it on my own truck. supposedly the 4wd bilsteins are a tad longer. there is no difference on how the shock is mounted in the truck between the two. imo, if you can get the springs at a decent price or less than the 370.00 pp wants to charge, then get them. ive bought lowering springs for a few cars and i have no idea why they are more expensive for a 4runner. hopefully ill run across a deal on the sway bars soon.
The pricing really isn't the issue. If you apply for a PP credit card from their website, you get 10% all PP purchases.
My point is, i dont want to spend the money, if it really isn't going to lower your truck. I'd probably be better off getting sway bars.
Right?
Or if anything has improved that swaybars can't do. Please let me know.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:28 PM
AUJWE

Good info. I stand corrected. I thought that there was a difference in the 2WD & 4WD Bilsteins in how the spring fit on them.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:31 PM
AUJWE

The pricing really isn't the issue. If you apply for a PP credit card from their website, you get 10% all PP purchases.
My point is, i dont want to spend the money, if it really isn't going to lower your truck. I'd probably be better off getting sway bars.
Right?
Or if anything has improved that swaybars can't do. Please let me know.
Here a few more suggestions. Searh the boards, I know that this topic has come up a lot, and even recently. Contact Jason B (membername) here on the boards. I think that he is able to get springs and what not from Japan that might can help you. Lastly, read up here: NW4Runner Suspension

See if any of those suggestions help you.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:55 PM

yea, when i browsed through some previous threads that came up in a search. I read that Jason B could get some springs for Japan. But they will probably cost around $1200. I dont think that i have that type of dough to spend on just springs.

Thanks for the website, i will read through it and see if i get any suggestions. But at first glance, it seems as if the addco swaybars are a good bet!
Old 02-09-2005, 01:27 PM
AUJWE

But at first glance, it seems as if the addco swaybars are a good bet!
I think that everyone would agree with that statement. I hope to get some myself one day down the road.