Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Power steering assist hoses

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering assist hoses

Hello.

I am new to the forum and an owner of a 1992 4x4 4Runner with the v6 and automatic at 209,500 miles.

Using advanced search I found some interesting articles, but no pictures that would help me with my problem. I also have the maintenance book from Autozone but it doesn't show me what I need to know either.

My steering pump has two additional hoses on the bottom, that are wrapped together and go *no-where*. My understanding is that these are power assist hoses for low RPM steering boost. I have no clue where they go. I am attaching a picture with the hoses circled. Can someone please attach a picture of where these hoses connect to and give me some guidance to find it? Thank you so much.

Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by billz924R; 11-30-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by billz924R
Hello.

I am new to the forum and an owner of a 1992 4x4 4Runner with the v6 and automatic at 209,500 miles.

Using advanced search I found some interesting articles, but no pictures that would help me with my problem. I also have the maintenance book from Autozone but it doesn't show me what I need to know either.

My steering pump has two additional hoses on the bottom, that are wrapped together and go *no-where*. My understanding is that these are power assist hoses for low RPM steering boost. I have no clue where they go. I am attaching a picture with the hoses circled. Can someone please attach a picture of where these hoses connect to and give me some guidance to find it? Thank you so much.

Bill

Those definitely go somewhere. Check out the pics:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...e+cover+gasket

Troy
Old 11-30-2005, 09:40 PM

I have a 91 4Runner and here is where those go on mine. Hope this is clear enough.
Attached Thumbnails Power steering assist hoses-vac-hose3.jpg  
Old 12-01-2005, 11:17 AM

Awesome! Thanks. Just the pic I was looking for. However there is one thing more; since one is most likely an 'output' line and the other an 'input' line, it is important that I put them in the right port. In your picture which is the input port (takes p/s fluid into the manifold)? Hmmm, possibly a more important question is, do I want p/s fluid in my manifold??
Old 12-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Awesome! Thanks. Just the pic I was looking for. However there is one thing more; since one is most likely an 'output' line and the other an 'input' line, it is important that I put them in the right port. In your picture which is the input port (takes p/s fluid into the manifold)? Hmmm, possibly a more important question is, do I want p/s fluid in my manifold??
They are vacuum lines. No fluid at all.

Troy
Old 12-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
No inlet or outlet. The lines connect to a Vacuum Switching Valve on the pump. When there is high enough pressure inside the pump, the VSV opens and passes intake vacuum to the idle-up valve. The idle-up valve bumps up the idle speed to keep the power steering pump load from bogging down the engine at idle.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
No inlet or outlet. The lines connect to a Vacuum Switching Valve on the pump. When there is high enough pressure inside the pump, the VSV opens and passes intake vacuum to the idle-up valve. The idle-up valve bumps up the idle speed to keep the power steering pump load from bogging down the engine at idle.
Well one outlet on the engine has vacuum and the other doesn't. And there is p/s fluid coming out of the hoses when they were not connected. I guess I'd have to see an engineering diagram of the p/s pump with power assist to understand.

I bought some new vacuum hose today and replaced the lines and so far so good. Low RPM steering is much easier and there is no p/s fluid leaking now.

Hope all remains well. I did find out that my vehicle has not been in for the 50N, V06, and P01 campaigns and it is still eligible for them. Verified with the dealer/sevice center where I live but for some strange reason they haven't called me back with a date for bringing it in. May have to just drop it off with them tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
That is not a "power assist" valve, it is the idle up valve as I noted. Check a Factory Service Manual if you want more information. Likely your idle up VSV is busted, broken, leaking power steering fluid. There should not be fluid in the lines. It is just a pressure operated vacuum switching valve. With no pressure to the back side it is closed, no vacuum passes. Apply some pressure to the back side and the valve opens, passing vacuum from one port to the other.