Bling Bling
Old 04-02-2003, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Post your most ridiculous 4runner pictures here:

Old 04-02-2003, 05:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what the hell are wrong with those??

To the owners of those 4runners, what most of the people do on this board is ridiculous - abusing a 30k+ dollar vehicle....

Im not trying to flame, as I take my yota off road too, but I am trying to show the other side of the view. There are always more than one side and 9 times out of 10, there are 3 or more sides to a story....

Im down with BOTH of those 4Runners - well except for the purple flames - that does scream gay, but the dubs look good. Besides it's probably 2wd in which case it should be DROPPED to the ground on bags.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Old 04-02-2003, 05:47 AM

I guess MY yota would make this thread then since we are ripping on people's installs for sound....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 04-02-2003 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I can't see the point of spending money for looks. Those rims are around $300 each, not to mention the tires. You can do better things with $1200, like pay the rent, take your GF out to dinner, start an IRA, savings account. You don't NEED even one LCD screen in a vehicle. I've probably said this a million times, but I really can't stand the bling, says a lot about the owner that they want to be seen and are willing to spend so much money to do it. And to some extent, I agree that dumping money into a truck and dragging it across a quarry ios wasteful too, but ya gotta have utility.
Self expression is great, and I've seen some cars that are serious works of art. But this is just regurgitation caused by advertising, just shows they got brainwashed into the purchase. If it makes then happy, I'll help them do it, but I'm gonna ask if they could be paying off the credit cards first. If not, maybe they could do resto or preventative maintenance first.

There's a guy in my neighborhood who put a huuuuge wing on his accord, a week later it was busted in the driveway and he was taking the bus. Asked him if he needed a hand and he said he couldn't afford the parts. He spent everything on that stupid wing and now he's taking the bus. Makes me sad.

Anyway, I express myself, I have fun offroad, but it's just a truck, I pay the bills first.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:13 AM

If I had the money for it, and could afford an LCD screen, I'd have one RIGHT now in my yota along with an Playstation....

Hell, you dont NEED 35" tires, you don't NEED lifts, you dont NEED a snorkel (for instance your distributor would flood and the enige would die from no spark) and dont NEED.... the list goes on.

I agree, if someone cant afford a mod, they shouldn't get it. That's why I dont have a 7mtge in my runner and a new tranny, TC and rearend. I could probably buy that and have it installed, but I probably could not afford it - big difference.

But to rip someone else's mods and vehicle publicly because you dont like them is UNCALLED for, and quite honestly RUDE!

This post needs to be deleted.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:17 AM

This is another "opinion" issue....Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, whether they agree or disagree...The same "right" you have to say there is nothing wrong with them is the same "right" we have to say they look terrible In MY opinion, the above does look kinda rediculous...but its not just 4Runners that this is done to. My personal goal with visual mods is to make it look REALLY nice and have everything complement everything else. Jason's 4Runner is a perfect example, you may be able to say "hmm...that isn't stock", but everything works together, clean...no ONE THING sticking out as a huge attention getter....

The first thing people say when looking at a 4Runner with huge, stuck out, chrome rims is...."hey look at those huge, stuck out, chrome rims" *LOL*...not "nice 4Runner"...the rims get the attention, not the 4Runner....they just dont match the kind of vehicle that a 4Runner is (in my opinion)...more fitted for a rice'd up honda or old hooptie

As for the stereo pic (love the GTi JBLs), I would assume that setup is for show only (having screens no one can see without having the tail upen)...I wouldn't have that setup (although video up front might be nice), but I'm sure that 4Runner is great at tailgate football parties, car club gatherings, and stuff..hey people can spend their money on whatever they want *haha*....I'm sure somewhere someone is badmouthing me for removing stock turbo's to put on a big single turbo in my Supra *LOL*...

But in the mean time, I will continue to laugh at "4Runners Gone Bad" *hahaha* aftermarket rims CAN be done tastefully...

Bumpin Yota - nice numbers (159db 42 hz) did you have to take up the entire back end? why push the speakers up to the front seats? I use to do car stereo and I had/still have one JBL 8" in 1.25cu ft that hits 133dbs on 50watts its ALL in the box...we also had 4 JBL 10"s getting 50watts each in an extended cab Nissan Truck hitting 148.7db (of course this was mid 1990's *hahah* I'm gettin OLD)

dajabr - AMEN !
Old 04-02-2003, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

96TRDsc, I couldn't say that any better. Things CAN be tastefully done. I'm a big fan of custom installs and wheels. This post was pointing out the "bad execution" in those areas, which I think 99% of everyone will agree on.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by 96TRDsc
Bumpin Yota - nice numbers (159db 42 hz) did you have to take up the entire back end? why push the speakers up to the front seats? I use to do car stereo and I had/still have one JBL 8" in 1.25cu ft that hits 133dbs on 50watts its ALL in the box...we also had 4 JBL 10"s getting 50watts each in an extended cab Nissan Truck hitting 148.7db (of course this was mid 1990's *hahah* I'm gettin OLD)

dajabr - AMEN !
How was the metering done and what type of meter? - I got a beer that says it was in the footwell or with a door or window open and it was probably on an AudioControl mic. Also, was the meter certified. Hell there are some meters I could probably top 175 on because they are SOOOO soft. (No offense, but do those scores on a certified DbDrag/Linear X/B&K meter and then I'll be impressed.) The USAC folks always have scoffed at db drag scores until they came to play in the lanes at which point their eyes were opened....

DbDrag and I only meter legal on the dash, all doors and windows closed. 4kw on 2 15's yeilded that score. And I am well aware of the box making or breaking the sub's performance. I had 2 8" RF's doing legal 145s at 52hz from the very back of my truck.

If you were to sit in my truck when my wall was in (ive torn it out since then) you couldn't physically breath during bass hits. Any soda cans in the drink holder would not remain there. Forget about even reading the instrument cluster let alone stuff outside. You got to watch the windsheild wipers bounce a full 2" off of the windshield - and if you are outside, you not only felt the bass still, but you could watch the windsheild itself flex a solid 1/2." I cant count the number of people who underestimated the system before they heard it, then literally jumped out of the truck holding their ears screaming that it was too loud....lol ahh the memories....
Old 04-02-2003, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jason B
Whose Runner is that? It's got Ct plates on it.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Tell ya what, lemme elaborate on my own mods to be fair and to exemplify my diatribe above. I can see why you would be opposed to this kindof thread bumpin', but it's not because we "don't like" the person. It's not personal, but bling is designed to atrract attention, and it invites comment, each of these owners has thus given us permission to express our opinions. We are not being rude. They are no doubt getting lots of praise as well, you gotta take the criticism with it. You can't expect %100 approval.

Anyway, as listed in my sig...

30" BFG TA/KO's: Bought used from a guy on 4x4wire, desperately needed, $300 instead of $450+.
SR5 Gauge swap: $35 not $100+ w/red backlight $2.
Marlin Clutch: Full price, needed, installed with engine to save labor.
Custom Removable Rear Speaker Boxes: Made by a friend, $60 not $300.
Speakers were Xmas gift.
Aiwa Head unit: Payment for helping my bro sell his van. Used the front speakers too, free.
Laptop: $2000, best investment I have ever made.
Rebuilt 22re: $3000 installed.

I will pay for the important stuff. I won't do the bling unless it's cheap as dirt, like the $2 red lights. Now that I have volunteered this I risk being labeled a cheapskate, but I invited it by putting it in the post. Relax dude, we're not "ripping" . We're critiqueing, as every attempt at art is subject to.

With that said, check this out. It's not a 4runner but... damn.

Old 04-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by dajabr

That truck is from AZ. I have seen it on the freeway. Its as long as a tractor trailer. Scary.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:47 AM

I figure to each his or her own. At least they are 4 Runners. I personally like looking at all the different ways people fix up their runners. I may not like or understand some mods people do. But, that's what make things great. I have 2 LCDs in my headrests. They are great when I go on trips with the kids. Throw in a couple of movies in the DVD player, put the headphones on the kids and enjoy a nice drive on vacation I take mine off road every once in awhile(nothing too drastic) and I also show mine. If everyones Runners looked the same....this forum would be dull.

Paul
Old 04-02-2003, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I must admit, I watch DVD's on the laptop in the truck, and I may even bring my projector and have a mobile Drive in theater. Again, No big spending.

Screw the bling, THIS is a WASTE...

Old 04-02-2003, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
How was the metering done and what type of meter? - I got a beer that says it was in the footwell or with a door or window open and it was probably on an AudioControl mic. Also, was the meter certified.

4kw on 2 15's yeilded that score. And I am well aware of the box making or breaking the sub's performance. I had 2 8" RF's doing legal 145s at 52hz from the very back of my truck.

I hear ya *LOL*...Like I said, this was at an IASCA competition in the mid 90's so I have no idea what type of meter was used, but I can tell you that they required all the windows and doors be shut. The meetering was done on the dash as well. I can see how you questions the dbl numbers, most people do...until they hear my 8" JBL sub in my 4Runner *LOL*....the 133 was done on the same 8" in the back of my 89 Supra (hatchback helped ) and it continues to roll down to its tuned 32hz low rolling bass....I can only put about 100watts rms max on it because how it is tuned allows the speaker to move further than it was meant to do if given too much power. But keeping it with low watts give perfect frequency response, smooth frequency curve all the way down to (if i remember correctly) a 38db 3db dropoff. This is one of those thing you'd just have to hear to believe, I wouldn't expect most people to believe how wonderful this 8" sounds (most guess two 10"s or a 12")...I would imagine you would understand where I'm coming from seeing as how you had two 8" hitting impressive spl's (145)....why would it be impossible for me to have one 8" hitting 133 in a hatchback??

btw, the box is a two chambered box one side with the speaker, a divider PORTED wall between the chambers with the other chamber ported to the outside....the non-sub chamber is tuned 10hz below the side with the speaker in it...mid and high bass come from the speaker....low bass is amplified in the other chamber and sent out the ports...VERY efficient, awesome sound...but lowers the handling watts of the speaker.

also, my bro went to Installer's Institute in Daytona Florida...they had things down there that were unbelievable...a box with like ten 4" speakers rolling bass *LOL*...just to prove, with the right physics involved (the best box) it could be done
Old 04-02-2003, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

I can't imagine 159 db! I push about 140.

Last edited by Jason B; 04-02-2003 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:13 AM

The 4Runner itself is nice....the rims just dont do anything for it....looks like a 4Runner body was lowerd onto the frame of a larger vehicle like a Suburban or something *hehe*
Old 04-02-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Personally, I agree with you guys, I hate the *bling*. Nothing makes a truck/4x4 look worse than a set of 20" chrome rims. My neighbor has an old school Yukon GT 4x4, still a cool truck, but he put some hideous oversized chrome wheels on it. Now I think it looks terrible. I understand that some people have different tastes that us, but the whole "hey, look at me" thing is getting old.

Quick Reply: Post your most ridiculous 4runner pictures here: