Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Possible Swap, 3rd gen to 1st gen, HELP???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Swap, 3rd gen to 1st gen, HELP???

Hey guys,

In my sig you can see what kind of Toys I'm used to driving. I just got my "New" Runner early this summer but already I'm seeing how bad of a pinch it's gona put on me. I'm 20 and I would really like to move out of he house ssoon, but there is no way I can keep a $8900 loan and move out, and try to keep my baby trail ready. Unless someone knows an incredible way to get out of debt and do all that I want without using the Mob or any other crime lifestyle.

So here is what I'm looking at doing and I really need some feedback. I wanna sell 96' Runner and get a 1st gen. I could get a really od 85'(she needs alot of work but it's only $1,500) or I could get an 89(for around $4,000 or so)and do an SAS down the road, any way if I get an older Runner will want it to be as off road ready as possibly but still be my daily driver.

1.)Do you think this is a realistic dream?

2.)Would it be really hard tomove down such a step in the Runner family?

3.)HELP, any other words of encuragement of discouragement?

Thanks in advance.(Sorry for the long post)
Old 09-20-2003, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go for it and never look back. I did the exact same thing. See my website. I had a 96 that was too nice and too expensive, so I bought a 88 V6 for $2k. I absolutly love this truck. Best part is, I dont care about keeping it "nice". It's a truck. It's supposed to be dirty. I love just throwing dirty greasy junk in the back and not caring. I LOVE taking the top off and driving around the neighborhood. I LOVE the stares I get since I SAS'ed. I wouldnt give it up for the world.

Do a search for 1st gens and read the other posts about how much other 1st gen owners love their trucks.

Besides, it's not a step DOWN, it's just a step in a different direction.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:23 PM
Banned

I would have to agree I had a 94 toy pickup, my wifey has a 97 tacoma. I like the new stuff too... don't get me wrong here. I always played with the idea of getting an older toy just for a trail rig, and when my 94 got wrecked:cry: the oppritunity presented itself. I hunted a little and got an 87 runner Love it. Already set up for my needs and then some, I may consider an sas down the road but as of yet it has outperformed my old truck and the wifey's tacoma. I got the runner from some guy in sedona for around 4k, put another 1.5k into it and I feel it was well worth the investment. I am so impressed with the "function" of it, if I wrecked this one I would try my damndest to get another. Mine looks almost new! If you like I could post a couple of pics
Old 09-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Sure that would be great if yo would post a few.

THIS is the rig that I'm looking atright now. A good ol' 85' SFA, 22RE. Thefront bumper is gone but with the money savd Icould easily replace that with a Bandlands one, and do plenty of other mods off one $3500 loan. I feel it is the right thing, if there is no major rust. I'm not really all that mechnically inclined but I'm not affraid to learn, so I need something relaible for the most part.

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys, any more would be very welome.

I do have one last question, I know the 22RE is a really great engine, it's just underpowered like most Toyota engines, but should I try for a newer Runner(88' or so) with a V6 and just do an SAS.?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:08 AM
Banned

As for the 22re... your right, it's no power house. There are things that can be done however to give you some get'n'go attitude! I am riding on just 31's with no re-gearing and haven't had any probs. I did put in a cam, header, new exhaust all the way back and maf adjustments to get her goin' pretty quick. App. 140+ hp from the stock 116hp... big difference IMO the 3.0's are ok and get the job done, but the power doesn't seem any better really and it just seems like theres more you could do w/ a 22re.(unless you plan on towing alot w/ it) With the mods I have made I can pull fwy speeds no prob to hit 90mph and hills it used to suffer up and over are taken with alot more ease... a gear difference at least. That truck your lookin at seems like a real good start for what you have in mind. And a real reasonable price at that!

Last edited by flecker; 09-21-2003 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Stump1883
I do have one last question, I know the 22RE is a really great engine, it's just underpowered like most Toyota engines, but should I try for a newer Runner(88' or so) with a V6 and just do an SAS.?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is underpowered, especially with that automatic. I would never buy an automatic 1st gen or 2nd gen.

Your right on point with the V6. Again, that's exactly what I did. More power is always good. The 3.0 is not a powerhouse, but a good jump up from the 22re.

Old 09-21-2003, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that '85 isn't a bad deal, but it does have an auto in it. so therefore the tradeoff would be either:

buying the '85 and swapping in a manual tranny

-OR-

buying the '89 and doing the SAS

i'd take the '85 myself, since it's only 1500 and i've seen runners in worse condition than that for twice what they want for it around here
Old 09-21-2003, 06:12 PM
CTB

Originally posted by Adam F
Yes, it is underpowered, especially with that automatic. I would never buy an automatic 1st gen or 2nd gen.

Your right on point with the V6. Again, that's exactly what I did. More power is always good. The 3.0 is not a powerhouse, but a good jump up from the 22re.

That is pretty sick flex Adam. Looks good man-
Old 09-21-2003, 06:26 PM

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2003, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by CTB
That is pretty sick flex Adam. Looks good man-
You think an IFS will flex like that?
Old 09-21-2003, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks everyone, your helping me out alot, I wish I ived near by ppl. with 1st gen so that we could talk more in depth than just back and forth posting. .

kyle_22r, you hit the nail on the head. I love that truck that I'm looking at, the missing bumper thing gives me a perfect reason to get new one, no excueses needed . But I really don't want an auto, especially in an already underpowered engine. How much would it be, and how labor intensive would it be to swap in a 5spd tranny? That to me seems alot better than getting an 88 or something w/ the right tranny, and dong a $1700-$2000+ SAS.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

I'm seeing how bad of a pinch it's gona put on me. I'm 20 and I would really like to move out of he house soon,
I have got to be getting a reputation for this, but here goes anyway.

First of all, do what is going to make you happy.
Second, think long term; your money would be better invested in a great many other projects, especially at 20. College should be the first thing on your mind, everything else is not going to last until you're 30, and then you'll be BEHIND and will never compete with people who established their education and careers while you were under a truck. The guys with the REALLY nice trucks have really good jobs that they do very well, and get paid well for. Then they pay their expenses (not living at parent's) then savings, mortgage, food, retirement account, etc. Then they STILL have a good chunk to have truck fun with, beacuse they command that kind of salary. Honestly, if you had not mentioned living with your parents, being in debt and being 20, I would be plugging the first gen.
I'm going to say it; get out of debt, get a degree doing something you like, move out and find a great job. When you have some EXTRA cash, then you look for hobbies, like trucks.
I'm about to hit 31, and I can tell you the next ten years of your life are going to determine your life. The truck probably won't make it with you. Buy the cheapest, most reliable car you can find, and sell everything else.
No offense intended bud, I dig the 1st gens, but it sounds like you have other priorities that should be absolutely ahead of a vehicle. You'll never get that truck investment back, invest in yourself.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Banned

Good thing Dajabr is here, otherwise you would have thrown your whole life away! Hey, get the truck if it will save you a few bucks and make you happy. The trans isn't a job you want to tackle on your own, unless you have a tranny jack and some (1-2) friends to help. Converting isn't a piece of cake, however with the right tools and help it could be done for a reasonable price... cheaper than a sas probably. By the way... what are your plans for the future???
Old 09-21-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm not entirely sure about how to convert to a manual, but i'm sure it's less intensive than a sas for sure. you can get a pedal set with a clutch from pretty much any junkard, i'm almost positive the pedals from any 84-85 truck(and possibly later) would fit right in

then you'd have to find a tranny, probably somewhere in the w56 range and all the goodness that goes along with that(clutch, possibly new flywheel etc)
Old 09-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

dajabr

Thanks for the words man. I understand exactlyat your saying,that s why I'm trying to get out from under that stupid 3rd gen and the bills that it is draggin me under. It's too expensive of a rig, and to take it off road is really FUN, but FUN can get expensive when things go BUMP.:cry: . I just wanna get me a 1st gen so I can stay in the Yota family . I want to gt a loan for nly 3K and fix up and mod a cheep(er) Runner, get out of the house and start my own life. I'm lucky my parents are abl to pay for my college education, so all I need to do is pay rent, cell phone, and insuance/car payments. I'm definatley goal/future drien and I know the best trucks of my lift will come once I'm established and invested poperly. But thanks again for the words, they help to hit home alot of the facts that float off in my head when I get to dreaming a little to much.

As for the tranny swp I don't think I would be tackling something like that, if that 85' is still avilable when I call I ill just have to go withthe auto and trymy best to make the 22RE run smooth.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:55 PM

Good Advice

The only thing I like better than good advice is someone who can take it well. That shows a lot of maturity!! Yep, there are always cheeper ways of getting your "toy" fix, often MUCH cheaper. The only difference is, you don't look as pretty doing them. And who cares about lookin' pretty? :pig: