Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Porter Cable Polisher With Zaino??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porter Cable Polisher With Zaino??

Any one use the porter cable polisher with zaino products? If not can you use the griots clay and polish with a final coat of hand applied zaino polish??
Old 04-29-2004, 01:57 AM

I've used Zaino for years.
Always been a great product which is now even better when using the ZFX additive.
Why use a polisher?
Zainio goes on and comes off so easily.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:47 AM

Which Zaino product are you talking about using PC with? If it's one of their polishes, yes you can do it. But if you're talking about their wax or glazes, it doesn't make sense. The product goes on and shines up in an entirely different manner then the old carnuba wax. Zaino's wax doesn't require buffing to shine, it shines when applied. There's no working it in either.

As for claying after your done, that's backwards. That's like painting and then sanding. You clay after you wash and before you wax.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:01 AM

Some people have reported succes with the PC and Zaino. However, Zaino goes on and comes off so easy, most people do it by hand. I can do my Tacoma with the fiberglass lid with less than an ounce. The key to using Zaino is the preparation, get the surface as perfect as possible BEFORE Zaino. From my experience, Z5 has miminual swirl hinding capability, it does help but again, prep. A few THIN layer of Z2 will last a VERY long time!

Mequiars Swirl Mark Remover 2.0 (#9) in their professional line, will do a very nice job of cleaning the surface, removing any swirls and give you a good base for the Z. Some people prefer to use Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish before Z. Both applied with the PC.

Good luck, and PREP!!!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 06:06 AM

Does Zaino's have separate polishes and "wax". I thought it was one step after - wash clay wash- Then just the Z5 or Z2 with the ZFX additive, right?
Old 04-29-2004, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

According to their literature, Zaino contains no wax.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by toybox
Does Zaino's have separate polishes and "wax". I thought it was one step after - wash clay wash- Then just the Z5 or Z2 with the ZFX additive, right?
Zaino's can drive you nuts trying to figure out what product does what, and contains what. None of them contain carnuba waxes. From the very bottom, the Z7 wash, it contains some polishing ingredients, and no protectants. Z5 is roughly the polish in the conventional sense, and Z3 or Z2 is the wax in the conventional sense.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:15 AM

I knew Zaino's did not contain wax. I was just wondering if there were a separate polish and "sealer" I guess I'll call it. The Z5 is not the best at getting rid of or hiding swirls on black paint (as I have discovered). I think I will now use some other polish and then finish off with the Z2 to seal it. It is very easy to put on and take off though and lasts a really long time so I will certainly stick with using it. I will just polish with another brand when that is needed.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by toybox
The Z series is a sealant. There are several now on the market, take some time to lurke over here http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php

Since the introduction of ZFX (fast cure additive) Zaino is pretty easy to use. The first "layer" needs the ZFX (or the original Z1) to "bond" to the surface. After that, the ZFX is only required if you plan on using multiple coats in one day. I would refresh my Z with a quick coat of Z2 (without ZFX) once a month or so. After you wash the truck, it only takes a few minutes to apply. Then, have a cool drink of your choice, and buff it off.

Few will argue over Zaino durability. The biggest issue is that some feel it has a very sanitary look with some of the newer sealers doing a better job of showing off the color. That being said, if you're interested in durability, it's hard to go wrong with Zaino.

I have recently tried the Wolfgang Pre-wax polisher enhancer and deep gloss paint sealant. I think it did a better job of pulling out the green in my lunar mist Tacoma, and it really made the indigo ink pearl pop on my Highlander. We'll see about the durability.

To circle back to the orginial question, Zaino is NOT a wax.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

My last Zaino application was in March 03 and it is still going strong. It has held up to the extreme UV - elevation 5300+ and at least 2 washings a month for over a year now.

I got some Griot's Best of Show for my powder coated ARB and tried some on a small area of my Hood. The Griots - carnuba based only lasts about 3 weeks in the New Mexico sun.

Zainos refers to their Z2/Z3 and Z5 as Polish. These are Polymer based and there are no cleaners or abrasives in these products. You need to use the PC and something like "3M Swirl Mark Remover" or "3M perfect-It Fine Cut" to prep the finish before applying Zainos. I have heard of one guy at Autopia that swore by using his PC for applying Z5
Old 04-29-2004, 02:29 PM

I was planning on using the PC to clay first and was thinking of using the griots polish as a prep for applying the zaino by hand. Any one gone this route before??
Old 04-29-2004, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by swerks
I was planning on using the PC to clay first and was thinking of using the griots polish as a prep for applying the zaino by hand. Any one gone this route before??
Zaino won't bond with any polish or wax.
Prep the paint.
Wash with Dawn to get rid of whatever prep product you'll use.
Then Zaino.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:34 AM

so no prep works with zaino other than clay and dawn??
Old 04-30-2004, 05:56 AM

No, if you use Griot's just wash again with dawn and then you can Zaino. wash-clay-wash-polish-wash-Zaino. Maybe you can skip the wash after the claying though.