Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

pondering about interior color mod...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-mart here had the bulb-condoms in multiple sizes. As for the digital clock, my friend has an EVO that he wanted to match all lights to the factory reddish-orange guage lites. He took one of the red maglight lenses(they come in a pack with the mag-light clips) and cut it to size to replace the factory clear lense over the digital clock. Worked pretty good. The packs come with a red, blue, and amber filter, so if you are looking at any of those colors it might not be a bad idea. Plus you get the light clips with it.
Aaron

P.S. I'm not sure if he replaced the factory clock lense, or just put the red on top of it, I will ask when I see him next.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514
Have ya'll given any thought to the clock? That's one I'm really not sure about. I plan on taking some measurements when I've got the dash torn apart, but here's the one I'm looking at for a replacement.....Matt
Had an idea stemming from the place i just got my windows tinted. They had some really cheesey looking blue tint. I'm sure you could just grab a scrap(or i could mail you one), pull the clock, pull the tint, spray some soapy water, lay the tint over, use a damp sponge to get the bubbles out. Once dry (45 minutes in the sun) take a new exacto (fine point razor pen thingy) and trim the edges to fit along with the hour/minute buttons. The tint only came in one shade that they stocked and it wasn't too dark but it was royal blue. FWIW they also had yellow, red, and maybe purple but youd have to bust out the color wheel for the final effect. Someone else up in this board had an experience using a blue marks-a-lot. Seems to me that the window tint woud prolly work.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by hungryStu
Had an idea stemming from the place i just got my windows tinted. They had some really cheesey looking blue tint. I'm sure you could just grab a scrap(or i could mail you one), pull the clock, pull the tint, spray some soapy water, lay the tint over, use a damp sponge to get the bubbles out. Once dry (45 minutes in the sun) take a new exacto (fine point razor pen thingy) and trim the edges to fit along with the hour/minute buttons. The tint only came in one shade that they stocked and it wasn't too dark but it was royal blue. FWIW they also had yellow, red, and maybe purple but youd have to bust out the color wheel for the final effect. Someone else up in this board had an experience using a blue marks-a-lot. Seems to me that the window tint woud prolly work.

Wouldnt that dim the clock quite a bit? and also give off an akward color since its blue over green???
Old 02-26-2004, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
Wouldnt that dim the clock quite a bit? and also give off an akward color since its blue over green???
The blue isn't really a tint, it's a blue film. I don't think its any less transparent than the plastic slugs used this photo
from HBoss' site. He did however still paint the bulbs. I bet it wouldn't look half bad, the blue and green from the clock. Also, IMO it's worth trying because it is removable and FREE, not $60 like the clock linked? You want a peice, PM me. I will go to the tinter by the end of next week.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Does anyone know how in the world to remove the clock from the center console? I've got the entire console on the floor of the den and I've gotten the ECT, Rear Window, and Defrost torn down to the bulbs. How do you get the clock off of the console?

Matt
Old 02-27-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514
Does anyone know how in the world to remove the clock from the center console? I've got the entire console on the floor of the den and I've gotten the ECT, Rear Window, and Defrost torn down to the bulbs. How do you get the clock off of the console?

Matt
it pops off with hands